What turns you off playing Boundless?

Our characters always look grumpy! :joy:

5 Likes

I saw the video for the new Creativerse update, where they have server settings for their creative mode and saw something we most definitely need:

4 Likes

the urge to go chisel that landscape is strong…

but fog does quickly destroy any immersiveness

5 Likes

LOL, yes I know, I have the same urge with many MC pictures, hahaha

Gotta say tho, just now watched a vid of a diamond maker! tar -> coal -> diamonds! With logic gates and stuff, me wantz!!! in Boundless!!!

Well, the logic gates and other automation like things, not necessarily a way to make diamonds, perhaps in Creative it could be nice…

2 Likes

Sounds like a good boundless wearable for some, just “wear” it when you want to be left alone.

2 Likes

Losing hundreds of millions of spark

2 Likes

I must admit I am a social one. If I am running around I usually talk and say hi and ask if they need help, especially if they don’t have a guild name since that usually means they are new. But I do get the being in a groove and working on something and feeling rude if you don’t interact. Maybe have an alt that you don’t accept friend requests on with the right skills to do the things you want to do? That way they at least can’t warp to your person.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve just got DoNotDisturbPaka going for this purpose, hehe! :grin: I’ve got CrankyPaka too but people might take that one as more of a joke, this one I think is the next best thing to an actual DND… now just got to level her up some haha! :wink: I’ve got a couple incognito alts going on PC, though anybody who knows the guild I link the alts all too could figure it out it was me.

2 Likes

Grass slopes. I use them a lot in there. I have to craft them :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes! +1 Would use /dnd or /busy.
I didnt realize at first that DND meant Do Not disturb. I thought at first it meant Dungeons and Dragons, until DK elaborated.
Also I keep thinking DK = Death Knight. I have a lot of WoW on my brain it seems.
WoW, World of Warcraft (not wow, an expression) But oh your DK is Donkey Kong, now I get it! All this time I just glanced at that and thought, oh Death Knight, ok… oops. I was wrong.

Abbreviations trick me up when it has different meanings for the same letters. Context around the abbreviation is something my brain rarely notices, so I misunderstand these things alot.

2 Likes

More importantly, I miss a checkbox for “Switch to Boundless” :joy:

1 Like

This not a suggestion thread. . this is why players are turned off playing boundless.

1 Like

When asking for blunt feedback on what turns people off playing, that to me creates a very fine line there that maybe does merge or overlap on asking for suggestions - as it can be the lack of something that is causing people to be turned off. I’ll defer to the devs and mods of course, but like in my own post, the lack of a DND and way to turn off the ability of others to warp to me is what has caused me to leave my game sessions prematurely at times, so I suggested that it be added. I did go OT on the follow up discussion - if any or all of it needs to be removed that is fine, apologies again to devs/mods, but I’d rather err on the side of caution and put my feelings out there for the devs to see. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

this
ok. obviously not going to put me off playing but it’s little details like this that can make the game less immersive.
ps and the highly light reflective fog mist whatevers…

6 Likes

Generally Boundless is a pretty decent game…for a very select group of people. In order to cater to the wider audience, i believe more content in terms of mechanics should be added.

For me personally, i like hunting and shooting and killing. I also like building but after too much of it i start to get tired out, so a hunt tends to take away the boredom and certain stress i feel from planning a build and having to farm and mine for it. However, after quite awhile of playing, this game does tend to get somewhat plain due to the repetition involved, even meteors start to get kinda dry.

What I can suggest in my personal opinion would be the addition of something that further helps to liven the environment, by adding more danger to it. Perhaps blocks should not be invulnerable to attack…following which world events like a monster wave spawning and assaulting the capital of a planet could be randomly generated based on metrics of the game where there is highest player activity. If not appropriately defended, the capital will eventually be damaged enough that something else will supercede its prestige.

The main issue now i feel is that since bases are invulnerable and one only needs to login to refuel it, this does not pose much of an incentive for people to regularly log in, especially people who only build and hold no interest in combat. Also this does not help with the economy, hence causing a reduction overall in the frequency and participation of hunters, even with the new exo worlds out. All in all, the current mechanics do not promote activity, hence resulting in a very dry player population.

Do note that these are all merely ideas.

3 Likes

I agree that adding more action/combat/PVM/PVE things will greatly enhance gameplay (temples, Titans, etc).

I don’t think adding a destruction factor to personal builds/workshops/roads would be helpful. They are adding in some new mechanics soon to prevent players from losing all of their possessions due to regen.

Feel free to add any ideas you have to the suggestion thread though - suggestions are always welcome :+1:

4 Likes

I agree with you that the pve content need more improvement, but the idea you have here most people won’t like it I think especially people who spent tons of time to build their house. If they really change to the idea you have here, the building style you see will only be square box all around the world, since its the most easier style to rebuild, and it will become a defending type of game. I am not saying your idea is terrible, but it just the game for the other type of players.

Yea destruction of blocks across all worlds would be too harsh, in hindsight. A better idea would be blocks are invulnerable on T1 to T3 (safe) worlds, but mobs will start to do increasingly more damage to blocks the higher the tier of the world, making it much much harder to maintain hubs or bases on higher tier worlds.

In line with such a mechanic, successful defense of such a monster wave should be rather rewarding to participants.

Emergent gameplay would emerge from such a scenario as players adapt to the mechanics, thereby causing hubs and bases on higher tier worlds to take on a more defensive design instead of the usual open and pretty hubs we see everywhere that look nice but are easy to rampage. If such mechanics were to be implemented, we should either slowly see hubs on higher tier worlds evolve to become defensive bastions, instead of just plain usual hubs, or we will see a disappearance of hubs on higher tier worlds altogether, which would make it much harder for pve hunting, which in turn would raise economy prices, which in turn would make hunting more lucrative, which in turn would increase the amount of hunts happening, which in turn would eventually, when it gets important enough, result in hubs being built on higher tier worlds.

1: Portal networks provide convenience of interplanetary travel to users. If the blocks got destroyed (maybe even portals being taken apart by creatures) It would be more of an inconvenience to use it. lava worlds would be more useful. By the way, what if it was attacked while you were away and it got almost taken apart completely! It would be more of a punishment to build on higher tier worlds than a benefit! Blocks shouldn’t be destroyed at all. It shouldn’t be like like in minecraft where you make a sand base just for it to get taken apart by a bunch of endermen while you were away (only people who started playing from minecraft would get this) and you lose most of your base defenses! I don’t like the idea anyways. A beacon is supposed to PROTECT blocks, not LOSE them on higher tier worlds. Seriously, PVE needs to be updated, but not like this!

Don’t feel too harsh. This is just my say in it. I agree on little creature skirmishes though!

1 Like

No worries, all that I have mentioned are merely ideas, actual execution would have to be balanced and thought out before implementation.

This game and minecraft shares many similarities. However, the distinct difference between this game and minecraft is as you have mentioned, the threat of destruction. Games are essentially problems waiting to be solved and in finding a solution, it entertains the player. Minecraft is so wildly successful not merely because it is a voxel block builder - but also because it has that exact same mechanic that causes players to be constantly on edge, which also means there is always something to do. There is never an ‘end’ to minecraft - bases have to be continually secured, progression is constantly threatened with regression if caution is thrown to the wind. This is what keeps players playing - because there is continually something to do, a problem waiting to be solved (nightfall when mobs spawn in minecraft for example).

Minecraft goes one step further with a sandbox mode to appeal to people who have no interest in ‘defending bases’, who just want to build and gain pleasure from accomplishing a build. This game can similarly achieve that with safe buildings in certain worlds, as I have earlier mentioned.

Portal networks provide convenience, however, if such convenience were to come easy, there would be no challenge and without challenge, this game will continue as it is currently, which is actually quite decent, considering it does have about 100 odd players on at any one time…but then again, the purpose of this thread is focused on improvement, not maintaining the status quo, therefore, in order to achieve what one has never achieved before, one must be prepared to do what one has never done before.

Also, with regards to defending constructs on higher tier worlds, we must remember that this is an MMO, with multiple players on at any one time. Defense does not have to be borne alone. This has also the side effect of bringing about more importance to guilds than just mere buffs and promotes team play both within the guild ecosphere and on a greater scale, the entire gameworld as other players who have a stake or who are out for the rewards would similarly help with the defense. Once again, emergent gameplay would result - due to the need for consistent defence, networking will play a greater part in this game, guilds will evolve to have a more varied roster, alliances will be formed, contracts made with smaller guilds for the sole purpose of hiring more ‘guns’ to support incursion defense.

1 Like

I agree also, when someone is putting as many hours into the game as some people are, you’re bound to overrun through multiple emotions.

I always think about this when I bump into someone, so to be polite I drop a /wave or /salute or a quick message and immediately jump through a portal to indicate that there is no need to reply to me.

Having a DND or Busy tag to hope one I or head at times would be pretty helpful at times :slight_smile:

5 Likes