What turns you off playing Boundless?

I spent a decent amount of time in my first few weeks trying to track down the Vulpto I saw in posts when I googled red gleam.

1 Like

hahah even if you managed to find it a dude plotted them all :joy:

Dead portals everywhere. There are some others but that is a current annoyance. Fueling portals seems too costly as a new player. No way to fuel others portals directly is also annoying when a common one has expired.

2 Likes

Honestly ive been forever saying portal cost is not that much.

1x2 (wich is the cheapest) … you can run 5 weeks… thats WEEKS with 1 stack of shards.

4 Likes

This thread is what bugs me (and others) about Boundless, not what I should put up with because longer time players don’t see the issue. Long time players always seem to have these two answers, “grind it out like we did” and “buy it from someone” as if that fixes what turns me off from playing Boundless. “Honestly, it isn’t that bad” does not remove the turn-off.

Beyond that, it’s the massive slog. Slog is that step beyond grind. Grind at least has a goal in mind, even if it’s many hours off. Slog is when you’re grinding and the goal gets lost in tangles of grind. Maybe the game isn’t for me, even though I like a lot about it, which is something I’ve thought about. And that’s why I posted in here. Maybe the slog, and the dead portals, and the empty cities don’t bother anyone else, but they bother me.

15 Likes

Dont have to take defensive stance. I just said how it is… and this comes from a player who has deleted main char and started from scratch too.

The game is complex it takes time to get used to and learn the ropes.

1 Like

It’s a valid sentiment. It bugs me too, and I’m a long time player. Whenever I post something trying to improve the NPE, I get a lot of “new players are whiners” replies

4 Likes

You say i called someone out :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
What the actual dongler

1 Like

Maybe creative worlds might be the answer… just build no grind…if and when the are released is the mystery…but they are coming.

1 Like

Except not everyone will be willing to spend money to run one. Unfortunately creative will not be the answer for a lot of people.

6 Likes

Yeap. The game price is high overall … sure you can say there has been several sales,but even with -50% its like on same level as some others.

Boundless is deffo an odd bird here.

It all comes down what price they are thinking for rentals…

1 Like

I think the issue here is that new portals weren’t MEANT for new players to be able to easily make and maintain. We are in a position where the economy lets you but overall it wasn’t intended for new players to be opening and running a bunch of portals.

Gather beans for 2 hours and sell them. Spend all that money on someone’s oortshards and make sure your portal is only a 1x2 and you’ll have enough oort for a while. It’s not bad. This is coming from someone who only started the game in April so I was a new player very recently myself.

1 Like

Just a reminder. This thread isn’t to pull apart or debate what others think is wrong with the game. It is here so the developers can see what their playerbase sees and feels.

15 Likes

I’m thinking and hoping on this issue, that there will be people willing to share their creative worlds with others. Saw some posts in another thread where intent to have a public creative was stated, and I want to do one myself like this (though with a plot limit) if I can afford it ok, though if I can do so uncertain. If there are at least a few people who do so though, I’m thinking it would be good to have a thread here, and link to it everywhere we can like Steam and Reddit, with the specifics so anybody who wants to play with creative but can’t/won’t rent a world can do so.

On a totally different note and on topic for this thread - been brought up before of course, but to me the most serious issue I have is the friends list removal being one sided and not being able to toggle off people warping to you. Reason I’m mentioning it again: I know changes can take time, but am curious if a change is under consideration. Recent months I’ve erred on the side of rejecting FRs in the game from people I haven’t talked to or don’t recognize the names of from here. I know that we can report if things become an issue, but I hate having to bother the devs unless absolutely essential, but also, the situations more common and that concern me more aren’t the blatant CoC violations but times someone might not mean harm but where following/warping becomes a bother (and for times you just don’t want anybody warping in); the grey area situations. If I knew though that a change was coming at some point on this, I would accept those requests - I WANT to be welcoming and friendly, but sided in these cases on being cautious here.

1 Like

I have been making a ton of concrete lately. And requires me to farm. I do have some pretty big farms and I actually love using the tiller because it never breaks anything but plants…i ask myself daily “why is this not AOE already” please God help me out a little…:innocent:

8 Likes

AOE tiller would be great. But since it’s not a thing, I make some pretty great AOE wood axes with extra speed

5 Likes

Though I love how there are such a variety of items, and color choices within that; It makes it a massive pain to keep things organized.

You basically need a massive warehouse to keep things organized, and even then putting things away becomes a very tedious chore.

If you found a way, maybe an expensive machine/deposit box that could help organize things, and maybe find them faster, that would be such a great QoL enhancement.

Also item recipes are intimidating to new players. Maybe an item flowchart in the GUI showing how to turn the base items into the final products you are looking for?

9 Likes

I agree, but I don’t see why it should need to be expensive. Everyone should benefit from better item organization as early as possible. It does not need to be expensive or late game, just robust and understandable.

8 Likes

Alright, here are the things driving me away from boundless right now.

Sovereign worlds:

The main problem with sov planets right now is they have put the game in stasis for me and many others. It is very similar to when we found out the game was going to release since there is not much of a reason to work on a project when you know you are going to be moving to a sov planet. As someone who is goal-oriented and has plenty of money and items, there is not much of a reason to play right now.

Color Rarity:

To start off with, I think the goo system was a horrible design idea. You can spend time making a bunch of pigments and then color…a few different types of rocks. Awesome. What about everything else that is even more tightly wrapped up in algorithms you are using for exos? Foliage, plants, thorns all that jazz? Are we going to end up waiting for years for you all to get around to either fixing/expanding pigments or for enough people to throw enough money at sov planets to unlock enough colors to properly do multicolor highlights? This sounds harsh, but it is a serious question because Wonderstruck doesn’t have the capability to quickly produce or expand content. There are only so many hours in a day and they only have so many people.

Actual Rarity:

There isn’t any real rarity. There isn’t anything for people who want to show others their accomplishments besides building something. It’s really awkward to see some arguments on this forum come down to the fact some of these people have nothing to showcase the time they have spent in the game. There are no hard to get items, there are no hard to accomplish feats, and there isn’t a shiny reward at the end of the grind. It’s just a grind if you aren’t intrinsically motivated with a self-identified goal. There needs to be an exploration/rare drop system added sometime soon, though that probably isn’t in the current roadmap.

Burn Out/Community:

This brings me to my last point, most of the people I enjoyed playing with are gone, and everyone I am currently playing with seems about ready to throw in the towel and move on. They have left or are leaving for many reasons. Most of the ones who left don’t even pretend to keep up with the changes of the game anymore. There won’t be anything bringing them back. I see the same arguments arise every few months by a new set of faces, only to be replaced by a new set with the same problems a few months later. They receive the exact same answers, and then they are gone again just as quickly. Maybe I’ve become a bit jaded, but this isn’t the community I joined. It didn’t grow, they all left.

Conclusion:

Its been fun. It is hard to be upset at 3000 some odd hours of enjoyment or the fun I had with all the people I met while playing. The game has a great foundation, but it needs more work to stabilize its potential. I look forward to seeing what the WS team will implement and how things turn out over the next few months and beyond. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and my eyes on the forums.

23 Likes

For me personally, the main turnoff of the game for myself is the lack of group content.

I would argue the 2 main things you can do “as a group” is building and meteor hunting. Both are great fun, but after several years i’ve become creatively burnt out, and meteor hunting has become stale.

In all honesty its probably just due to my own burnout as to why i’ve stopped playing; after 1400 hours I can’t complain about my experiences ahah.

The other major issue I have is the lack of transparency, but It does seem like the devs have been more transparent lately so this is less of an issue.

I just want more things to do “as a group” that don’t necessarily revolve around these two aforementioned things.

2 Likes