What turns you off playing Boundless?

Right now? 190 cubits disappearing overnight.

I do set down beacons near settlements/cities with portal hubs as a means of getting around without having to spend large amounts of credits. For example, I have a beacon near the capitol of my home planet, I warp to that one, walk to the portal hub locate a world I want to explore, place a beacon near that city, find a good spot to mine from, place another beacon and start mining. This way, I can return to that mining location later.

If there is a better way to move around the universe without spending large sums of credits, I would love to know about it.

You can achieve the same thing by saving your location as Custom Location in the Places screen, e.g. Aquatopia Portal Beckon or whatever, then you can still warp without taking up space.

However, I have to disagree with Dumaru. I’ve got a plot in a busy place that’s idle because I’m still gathering resource for my plans. We don’t know why others leave things empty and to assume malicious intent is a bit unfair. I dislike the chiselled mess next to my main base but they’re not my plots so it’s none of my business.

3 Likes

He’s not talking about that. He’s talking about extending plots across a travel area just to get footfall as people pass by.

1 Like

:heart:
You could not say this better ! :+1:

1 Like

God damn he’s right… :roll_eyes: Because in let’s say Wow you can heal and resurect as fighter. In Eve you don’t need years of gameplay to have maxed out Titans handling for each race… Ok I promise I wont bite the bait no more from that kind of trolling :hugs:

3 Likes

The pacing of the game is a bit off. Starting on planet level 1 or 2 and the initial phase is great. Soon as you make your first 2 machines you hit the first brick wall.

Eventually you make the jump to iron and then hit a MASSIVE brick wall that is Diamonds + GEMS + Titanium.

Instead of a nice slope that is fairly measured and progressive its a slop then massive wall, slope then, massive wall etc. Poorly explained planetairy resources doesnt help. Newbies have no idea where to find Iron, Silver, Gold, and beyond. This isnt something thats naturally apparent and requires leaving the game to figure it out or having someone explain how altas’s and different worlds work.

Even if you have an Atlas, know how it works, making the jump to centraforged tools and bombs from Iron is completely insane. Which wouldnt be such a big deal if there was more to build and do but there is no other tech.

I strongly suggest either smoothing out the tech tree so there is more to do and build at each tier or reduce the 2 massive brick walls. If you have logging you will probably see your 2 big major player die offs will be at iron tools and then again at the titanium / centraforge level.

All that aside the single big issue you have is performance and world population.

Right now the massive choke you guys have on worlds after you let folks build networks on them is killing things. Definitely need a much more distributed network of worlds or need to figure out how to reinforce a node (world) so that it can handle 300 or so people. You guys made planet highways to bitula and lamblis are the hubs. 80 - 90% of your player base is moving through those areas just to get to shops, other worlds, and such. By having those 2 planets basically on lock down your choking off the game. This has to be fixed and fixed fast.

I don’t know your infrastructure or how you guys run things but AWS would let you all scale but it would be expensive.

Alternatively you guys could let folks host their own worlds and take the load off of you. That unfortuantely would also decentralize the servers. It would make the game more minecraft like where people run their own networks and you guys just manage the game.

3 Likes

Just to say, self hosted servers could ‘never’ join the main mmo, they would be entirely locked out as there would be no way to prevent mass cheating.

2 Likes

What has turned me off of playing Boundless a lot since 1.0 is having latency issues constantly. I have pretty horrible internet, and whatever changes came about with 1.0 launch has had me having lag a good chunk of my time online. It gets tiring to play when you rubberband constantly.

3 Likes

Then it will make no difference to the main game so why not sell them if people are willing to pay for them.

Not something that interests me but was slightly worried that they would join the main game somehow, which I could see it ruining the whole thing.

As I recently found out from another thread…I think the one about the location list being too short…you can place a beacon to add it to the beacon list, then simply destroy the beacon. It remains on the list and is portal-able to.

2 Likes

I personally feel like the xp cost after level 20 is too steep. It would be fine if mining things on higher tier planets gave you more xp as well, but you still only get the 2 xp per block broken, despite it taking so much more damage to break. Maybe make the amount of xp given per block break depend on damage needed for the block to break. The way skill sets work currently is useless in my opinion, and having cubits, money, plots, etc be character based in a game where your encouraged to make numerous characters is just, annoying. Make those things account wide. Fix skill sets so that when you switch to a new skill set, you’re essentially level 1, and your xp cost and skill points reflect that you have to level up that skill set, as if it was a new character, and increase the cubit cost of them to reflect the convenience of it. And like someone else suggested, sap is required for a lot of stuff, but it’s such an uncommon drop. Let us extract our trunks for timber and sap.

3 Likes

Sap is super common, put points in luck.

Without using end-game tools, gaining a level after level 40 is like 6-8 hours of grinding ore and enemies.

1 Like

If plots and cubits were account based rather than character then all you would have to do is create an alt, power through all the easy lower levels to get plots and cubits, delete the alt, rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Is there a way to “gift” cubits to an alt? I have quite a few on my alt that I would gladly gift to my main.

Not that I know of otherwise it would be subject to the same exploit … you can transfer coin between your characters though.

No, but the work around is to buy plots and set them down next to your main’s and give your main full permissions.

1 Like

You can get more alts!

I am aware I can get more alts. I already have one and will probably start another soon. The problem is that each alt will have cubits to buy plots. However, they are not allowed to add plots onto my main’s plots, only to their own. No way to gift the cubits to the main, so those plots will be pretty much useless. Sad really.

What? Of course they can. You just plop their plots next to yours, form a settlement, and give all your alts full access…