What's happening with DK Mall?

Remember when plain glass came out and legend walled up every shop in legendville and the side of the mall and put in glass streets?

sheeeeeeesh

1 Like

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

2 Likes

I have been putting off reacting to this topic :wink:

But am watching it.

The fact is im basically in maintenance mode in boundless as I don’t have a lot of time IRL Friday’s are the usual day’s i pop on and manage the hubs (Terra Nova on Lamblis and DK on Tana).
Usually ill be on for 30mins to make sure that the ingame chat has fully popped and answered pm’s.

Also have contact info at the west ramp of the hub for Discord, PSN and forum. As they are basically the best way to get spots faster (shops and or portals) for when im not there. As i then can make a bit off wiggle room irl to pop on quickly and get it sorted. After we agree on a time. :wink:

All the roads and the top floor of the hub are safe unless i missed a spot (feel free to point those out).

As i designed the hub all portal spots can be costum.
And the hub isn’t finished. I still have to go down as only the top of the hub is build (but roads take priority as the hub is functional).
The roads: only the road leaving the hub (to the old section of the mall) on the west side of it is kind of finished. The roads will be 2 layered at least. And has gone trough several changes to “baby proof” it. As you could possibly kill your self full speed on the glas pane edges before.

The idea is to keep everything in line with the new hub to a point. As it is “open” and wil go down eventually several layers I choose to use glass for the roads to incorporate the “openness” all around.
The choice for black glass is purely to eliminate the gleam “bleeding” that happens on colored glass. Further there where/are quite a few shops that look awesome underneath the roads of the old section so I didn’t want that to be lost again (as most don’t usually look underneath).

I do understand people with hight issues don’t like this but I can’t please them all :wink:.

Anyway as soon as i have more free time again and can start building again ill do so. For now this is my to do list.

• continue the roads (in cp section)
  • build the first sets of mini hubs (paired with roads)
  • add additional layers to hub.
  • add and get the metro/ fast travel portals sorted and active trough the mall.

There probably will be added on my to do list :wink: but it isn’t my only project as i also have Terra Nova to work on.

Few things i want to point out further.

“Shop sizes” there was/is a good chunk of shops in the old section that didn’t/don’t follow 1 rule 2x3 shop size. (So don’t really see an issue with dropping that rule even though i have more control in the new section).

“The front became the back” of the mall.
First of before I started there was no room on the front. Or the middle. No possible way to create more space in either location.
To my understanding there where already plans to move the hub to the back (pointing out there where).

“The stairs/gap” between old and new.
Miss calculation on my part as I thought i had preclaimed enough space almost a year ago.

I will eventually if i get to it edit in the old section but keep in mind im basically doing this solo. But only own CP. reploting is a nightmare as there are a few shops with plot protection on in the old section.

Im not planning on reclaiming anything.

to add

Sov mall i do see the appeal but my issue is it can poof in a month and never be seen again… perm worlds don’t have this timer.

Also to eliminate “waiting times” you will need the biggest available sov world. And wel you can’t expect donations of world fuel to just happen. Especially the first few months of setting up.

Also a sov mall needs to be well connected (if not to much connected) as it is a sov it probably will be a side portal in a network hub. (Not that that is bad but it isn’t a perm world :wink: that difference is being made because they go poof if they run out in a portal network).

Again i do see the appeal for a sov mall but my brain still says it’s only temporary…
All other pro’s and con’s brought up are to the point. But my issue is if it goes and not by my choice its a lot of time thrown away :wink:.

Sorry for the long post :wink:
Also if my post doesn’t make sense but I ain’t deleting it again :grin:

3 Likes

Oh before I forget the lowering of the mall on that end was also already planned :wink: dk had started prep one plot lower over there (which is now absorbed). I simply lowered it by 1 or two more plots.

Eventually there will be a few ramps from old to new after the road going north-south in front @Solgato s shop “Bash” (sorry if I remember incorrectly).
Existing shops won’t be effected by this as ill will work around issues.

3 Likes

@Tmmk is a great builder and a great person overall. I knew I wouldn’t be able to do a build that did DK Mall justice so I asked for help and couldn’t be more happier than someone with the skills he has to handle the mall redesign.

All in all I just wanted to save DK Mall and as many of you will come to realize or have already realized saving or preserving or even starting something for the community is only going to succeed and survive if the community is large enough and the community supports it.

Prime examples are some of the malls and even some of the hubs that are currently active. If the community doesn’t open shops or portals they won’t survive long and in the end will eventually go to the wayside.

I applaud anyone that creates a project for the sole reason to help the community… but that community needs to participate because if they don’t, that project most likely wasn’t needed in the first place.

I’ll donate some more coins soon and come help where I can @Tmmk got one project I am trying to finish up.

3 Likes

Theres a but always.
You say community project,but its owned by 1 Person.
I get bigger guilds wanna step up and make some good For the community but the thing is that some People are not just ok with it.

Personally i Feel… Ye its great we have hubs… I dont donate there but i use them… Seems selfish right? I dont Feel like i own a thing To hub owners… If they choose (Yes choose) To start a hub example they have to be willing To run it too, if they will count on community it prolly will end up like most of the hubs… Dead. Im ok People donating oort and stuff To the hubs, but i dont like When example hub owners come and say “hey we need some donation Or hub will end up dead”.

The point is… If you are willing To start something For the community dont assume community will run it. The person Who creates it has the final responsibility For everything.

Theres alrdy example how hubs Or even malls ended up dead cause they didnt had enough oort To keep up with the demand.

I wanna add Also that if someone is really trying to do a community project… Maybe he/she should try asking People what they think… Or even ask For themself “am i rdy for this?” theres numerous malls that just popped up out of nowhere Who thought “ye People will come”… No they wont if you dont have any kind of name In this community abd even if you would have you have to be friends of some “bigger” players that the thing would work cause thats just Where this game has become into.

If you are not a friend of some big name you cannot rly do much… Thats just honest fact atm.
Bigger swipes smaller and so on.

4 Likes

@Buugi well that was kInd of my point. While DK Mall was owner by one person all the shops there are members of the community. No one HAS to open a shop in any mall but when the population is lower or at least appears to be lower then 20 malls almost seem pointless. I mean I don’t want to put my concrete shop in every mall in the game. Point being a centralized mall just makes more sense. Support it or not … That’s up to you but of people could agree a certain mall should be the most central that might make the most sense.

After running DK Mall a bit I applaud DK for what he accomplished it is much too big for the current community but still a place I hold dear.

1 Like

Ye sure but you are just proving my point here.

If you dont have enough name In the community you cannot do this.

Big names decide that “ok this is the Only mall In the game now” and thats that.

Sure… DKmall is obviously historical (if you could say that) In boundless, but When you decide to ride with the name it be comes more of a joke In some People mind than actual effort.

I mean @DKPuncherello created the mall. Personally Im not using it anymore cause of just the fact that its not run by dk anymore.

Theres level of respect what you gotta consider. Some of us dont like it… Sure some will but those are powerplayers Who wanna rule how People “tik” and newer players cause they dont have a choise.

Point here Im making is that if you are doing a mall. Dont ride with someones name Or place… Do it yourself. You keep telling dk mall this and dk mall that but how about lotus mall Or so. New owner new name.

He did take over a running operation.

Not to belittle DKs efforts he made it what it was and built most of what was there. It was DK Mall more than anything. It was actively being griefed at the time I think, just more to DKs credit :rofl:

EDIT: Yeh dug this up for a chuckle. By the time all was said and done DK took it over. I don’t think the original builder lasted long after this.

2 Likes

In fairness, did you stop using Microsoft products after Bill Gates left? Or did you stop using Apple after Steve Jobs died? Do you refuse to watch Charlie Chaplin movies because he died in 1977?

I can see what you’re getting at, but DK Mall is a name that players are familiar with so it makes sense to retain the branding.

Name change = Karl’s Mall :joy:
Jokes

I ll think new GTG Mall won t die because all Hunters are always there.

2 Likes

History DK mall has… no doubt about it.
There is still a small hope DK returns (from my side) and DK has all the rights in the CP plots.

Yes if i did see DK mall as my mall… i would change the mall’s name to something els. But don’t so….

An other thing i want to point out “big names” even though I have been here since release I don’t consider myself a “big name”. But a quite a few of these “big names” have been going around here and there pared with not so good rumors.

All im saying “big names” is a point of view…
As some can be listed here that are in my eyes even bigger names and they aren’t known by most.

2 Likes

One day maybe I will return :blush:

Honestly the game just has low population right now. DK mall at its prime had about 200 active shops, that’s basically the whole player base right now!

5 Likes

I had hoped @DKPuncherello would come back myself.

@Buugi I have a ton of respect for every player in the the game not just the “people who have made a name for themselves”. While I do get someone with experience might be able to run a mall better due to more plots or more coins… in the end its the community that decides which mall to use and back to us proving each others point… if its someone that doesn’t have your respect … then it is back to the community having to support that players project. No support will make it fail… simple.

Lastly, @Buugi it is pretty disheartening that just because I or @Tmmk took over the efforts of DK shouldn’t deter you from using a mall especially if we want the game to continue or try to be better. I would never rename DK Mall out of respect for the man who built it.

I considered creating this “lotus” mall your mentioned, but as you stated no one would support that because I don’t have their respect.

1 Like

This is Boundless - you can build what you want. Though since the player pop is so low, I find it comical how many malls are around now.

None of these new ones are doing well. And any further malls will never fill. You heard it here first.

UNLESS

Player influx. Game redesign to incorporate player influx.

5 Likes

Okay, that settles it. We need a metamall. Everyone can build their own mall at the metamall.

6 Likes

I just live and build on my sovereign and that probably won’t change unless the game dies.

If someone built a 10 shop mall … it would fill … just saying.

1 Like

Do they though? :wink:

1 Like

Well if you have respect apparently.

2 Likes