Where are the colors?

Would the ability to paint any tinted item in game help solve the issue? If they expanded the items we can paint to include all tintable items, surely colour scarcity would be a thing of the past.

Sure but would need to improve pigment productivity, its a bit low for the time consuming when you have big project.

3 Likes

I think this would only please those that are concerned with this particular issue.

Don’t get me wrong, personally I have no problem whatsoever with this idea. I get that people don’t particularly like that glass, for instance, is reliant on a gleam colour and this would solve debate around this particular issue without having to change the way that gleam colours are generated. But there will still be others who want the gleam itself.

People carry on playing this game for a large variety of reasons, and building is just one of them. Amongst many other things I’m a hoarder and a collector, I love when a new colour anything appears on an exo and if I am able to I will get to it and have a go at finding it.

It depends, to a collector just 1 block of each will do everything.

I’m quite convinced this same discussion would be occurring with someone who didn’t feel 50% was enough for them. It’s an impossible task trying to please everybody and some people just simply cannot be pleased and there will never be enough of something in particular.

I’m happy with the game progressing the way it is because I like to do so many different things in this game that I just don’t get enough free time to play that I can ever hope to achieve everything on my to do list. So honestly more of everything wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, 255 of everything doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I just ask the questions I do because I like to actually understand people’s perspectives better.

Give me a list of colours and how much of each you would like, I’m fairly certain I could provide it within a realistic time frame.

1 Like

Would you be able to provide about 35k worth of black plain glass?

1 Like

If it could be painted, then yes, within a week or 2.

I’d say yes right now, but I’ve barely used my farm in the past few months as I just don’t have any need for all the pigments I was producing.

If gleam was paintable, I could do this today!

1 Like

If you have something working for a bit sure, how much time did it take you to be able to do mostly colors (there is colors you cant do atm)?

1 Like

Nvm i take back the cant do every color yet, forgot gleamvow!

I dont have a dog in this fight but I’ll just take this opportunity to provide some education

If each color is randomly selected, and you want color X, there is a 254/255 chance of NOT getting color X.

190 times, the chance of failure is (254/255)^190 = 47%.
So in 190 times, you’d expect about 53% of colors to have appeared, IF it was uniformly randomly selected.

Including 50 perma worlds, the math becomes (254/255)^240 = 39%. 61% of colors should have appeared. Even with repeats allowed, as long as it was truly uniformly random.

4 Likes

Yeah, but like every elemental planet have their own spectrum of colors etc.

If this would be the case we would have get many new colors just from the exos.

I assume the rental planet will sue the same pattern

2 Likes

Oh building mine has been a mammoth task that is still no way near completed and is by no means at all an efficient use of space, but it is functional on a large enough scale.

I’ve had loads of fun designing and building the thing… but I eventually discovered that the actual process of planting and harvesting it was a giant chore when I actually had no real reason for the paints I was making. I was simply doing so to hoard something else in every colour.

I’ve been doing every colour since sometime before the second gleambow. Obviously capacity has increased over time with increasing experience in mutating, mixing, the accumulation of kernels and with the improvements to the farm over several iterations of design… I believe this could be classed as goo farm version 4 for me.

I know of several goo farmers who could out produce me by a massive amount no problem at all now, Econodog being just one of them.

2 Likes

And this is specifically why I believe the painting system as we have it now is flawed and incomplete.

I haven’t even bothered to set up my own goo farm because I know I wouldn’t be able to use anything I’d produce with it. I got the color rocks and trunks I want, … but not everything else. … Oh wait, everything else can’t be sprayed to begin with. …

1 Like

Totally agree. It was hinted at that other items would become paintable, I am patiently waiting for that update. In my opinion it would honestly solve so many issues and frustrations. It’s a solution that would please a lot of players.

1 Like

Exos are an amazing idea, but the fixed color pallets on them are holding them back from being all that they could be.

Maybe we need a wildcard planet generation that’s pallet isn’t restrained by its material type so narrowly that can have any of the colors not already assigned to one of the other pallets. We already get bright pink sand on green rock planets, so its not like jarring colors would be a new concept!

Updating pigments to be more feesible/inexpensive at this juncture would only relegate the exos to being even more pointless. That’s not to say its a bad idea. I support improving the pigment system, but its something they should do in conjunction with fixing the Exo system, not as an alternative.

1 Like

It should have already happened after almost two years. How long should someone have to play a game in order to get a color they want?

5 Likes

Thank you to everyone who added to this post.

I see that I’m not the only frustrated with the color situation from the exoworlds. I will quote myself cause at this point I would really like to have some input from the developers.
@james perhaps you can answer this?

:thinking::unamused:

1 Like

This sounds accurate. Especially since it has been stated every color is possible by the devs.

1 Like

(Not defending the small selection of colors available, just looking at data)

2 Likes

But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think we should have had more than what we have

3 Likes