Where are the colors?

My fav colors are deep/shadow blues, so I’m unlikely to get the colors I prefer too :pensive:

2 Likes

I love the deep blues, purples and greens. They just aren’t likely to be available for a long time :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Why wouldn’t they be available?? This is what I’m asking and want to know lol. What is the point?

What if we had a machine that could take 2 different color rocks and make a color by combining the two? That way people could mix colors together or make colors that don’t exist yet?

2 Likes

Or if we could use two sprays at once for gradients :grin:

2 Likes

And do the same to every plant, or block or anything

Because they seem to be at the very edge of certain planet type color palettes. Every planet type has a palette range it prefers, and while every color is possible many are highly unlikely to spawn.

But whyyyyyyy :sob::sob:

2 Likes

Because they bottle our tears and sell our shredded hopes and dreams :wink:.

2 Likes

I honestly do not know… an arbitrary amount of time? I am honestly quite impressed that people have managed to wait this long for a coloured block in a game, because I definitely dont have that sort of patience.

I guess my point is, you can frustrate your existing players to the point they take a break and wait, which is fine but then we have these empty worlds and players taking space but not contributing the game. Or you can just let all the colors out into the universe. Over the long term of the game, who does this really hurt?

2 Likes

Fair enough, I do understand why people want everything to have appeared by now. And yes I agree, over a long enough time transition it will not hurt anyone…

Like I say I am not opposed to all 255 colours in every block being released suddenly, it wont affect me one iota. I just have never ever felt like I had a lack of options or possibilities in this game in terms of block choices. But clearly I take a different approach to yourself and numerous others and this is why I genuinely wanted to understand what people perceive as “colour scarcity”… it just seemed like a relativistic thing to me. And clearly it is as your expected time frame is different to anothers.

Yeah its not that way. I’ll extrapolate on this later. I am bit busy atm.

2 Likes

I would still like to know if its true that every single one of the 255 colors available for every single block CAN even show up. @james … As far as I know there’s preset palletes configured, but not sure if every single color can show up. Been inquiring about this, but the devs seem rather tight-lipped on the topic.

4 Likes

From what i understood of the presets some stuff like plants cant get every colors.

If it is that way, they should tell us and be open about it

1 Like

There is no artificial limit on the colours that can be selected during the world generation.

Each world config uses a customised recipe for generating colours. This recipe contains many RNG inputs as the colours are evolved and selected. Some blocks have a high degree of variability, for example gleam, which is allowed to select any initial hue. Other block colours are evolved with normal or linear RNG ranges from parent block colours. Some relationships vary hue, luminance, and saturation independently. Some of the configs limit the hue range to try and make more thematically consistent worlds: umbris red-orange, rift blue-pink, blink green-yellow. Likewise Lush worlds attempt to create earthlike palettes where vegation is pulled to green, wood brown, rock grey, and liquids blue. This means that these worlds will have more consistent colour selections.

When I first setup the worldcolour configurations I generated over 500 worlds and confirmed that the recipes (across all the configurations) spat out over 200 colours each. Clearly, as described above because of the theming, some colours are selected more often. But I was happy, when looking at all the recipes together, that the system was generating lots of variation.

13 Likes

I want a luminous or vivid colored palette

2 Likes

Then I guess we should be wishing for more T4 coal exoworlds? Guessing those would be the most diverse in colors?

Or is there any chance that a couple of special exoworlds could be released with a bunch of different/new colors?

3 Likes

I wonder which Exo planets have given us these color types (what tier/atmosphere).:thinking:

1 Like