Which forging strategy really works for everyone?

That’s good on you, I tried forging a few hammers and realized it would be more worthwhile to use my head and just make more hammers while mining in patterns designed for optimal yield. This was before tools and the forge were buffed, however. In fact, I got my forge fully powered with my first round of nice ingredients just a day or two after the update. Everything went super smoothly when I finally broke down and bought a nice hammer and some pies.

Well, it’s different now that you can actually buy things and use portals. :stuck_out_tongue:
At the time we didn’t have a fully developed economy and infrastructure yet.

Nowadays it is probably more efficient to sell the ingredients and buy top tier forged tools since they’re so cheap, instead of trying to forge yourself, but the topic isn’t about the best economic strategy, it’s about doing your own forging. :slight_smile:

Doing your own forging has everything to do with an economic strategy. You don’t get good supplies in a timely fashion without knowing where they are coming from. Forging, from my own experience here is all about knowing already what you are going to try to do in the forge and then focusing on getting those items. If you manage to get all the ingredients, the question then becomes what purpose is your tool or weapon going to fill. Creating good AoE hammers without defect is one of the tougher ones, but you already outlined the basics for that in your first comment here. There’s a few different ways to forge that work, and they all stem from which compounds you use. Like corrupted compound 2 being particularly good next to a fate reversal paste and vigour cat 2. I’ve found about 4-5 decent methods, but there are more I’ve been looking to try and most of the time the results are good. My point is that, to answer the original question, there isn’t a preferred method outside of paste heavy, pure boon 3 sucking expensive recipes. There is always room for bad luck and good luck, and giving the forge direction is all that can really be done.

Wanted to get some actual data for my method, the sample size is still really small but should give you an idea what to expect.

After making 3 separate forges of aoe tools this is what my deck looks like, all of them were at 100 when I started. According to my spreadsheet the value of the spent materials, when crafted by yourself and bought with request baskets, is 8398c. On average I deconstruct 6 times before getting the correct boon combination. There were 2 instances where pure boon compound 2 would’ve been a good fit so that can be added to the deck.

The end results were, in addition to the lvl 4 aoe

• lvl 7 damage, lvl 4 ease
  • lvl 9 damage, lvl 2 magnet
  • lvl 7 damage, lvl 3 magnet

I usually finish way before I run out of stability when aoe gets too high. On one of them I had 500 stab 600 vigor left so there’s room for improvement. The main advantage of this method is that the often quoted ~1200 stability breakpoint of transmuting / boon removal can be ignored since you never go that low before you’re either already deconstructing or have the boons. With this method you always get to the desired boon combination with near perfect stab/vigor usage since you don’t use any extra items when getting there. Just gums and boon point stuff.

Did a mining test on my new planet. Got with 6 hammers, 2200 amethysts and some more. Find the result good. - Since I don’t have T6 hammers anymore, I tried forging. - Did some voodoo rituals and read some spells from the Necronomicon to bring me luck. Unfortunately, this didn’t work, 200 failed attempts. - Tried to find other things in Boundless that I enjoy as much as mining. But unfortunately found nothing.

4 Likes

Congratz with a planet that gives you nice resources but could you please, please, please stop complaining about your fails on forging. Forging is not for everybody and if you are no good at forging then please just stop forging and buy things or as HOST suggested go with him so he can show you how he forges.
As I suggested, go to the creative world if trust on beacons is an issue.

Complaining about things will not fix anything, so please stop complaining and have fun with things in Boundless that you like and if that turns out to be nothing, then for sure you will find another game to play.

2 Likes

Sorry, but there is absolutely no shop that sells enough T6 hammers to meet my daily needs. But okay, I won’t talk about my fails anymore from now on. — Although the people for whom the forge works could also tell you how they “REALLY” do it.

1 Like

Then GO with HOST as he offered to you.

1 Like

Got 3 full shop stand of t6 hammer on Alder in my tool and weapons shop

2 Likes

You may want to open it up, I’ve seen a few posts on the discord recently wishing for such a world.

1 Like

Every forger had bad days forging but I don’t know anyone that has issues like you. I don’t know what your doing but I Higley recommend you take @HOST up on his offer. T6 hammers are one of the easiest forges to do to be honest, or at least in my opinion. Especially if your just going for a basic T6.

1 Like

you have seen my streams bro, you know exactly how I do it, I will stream tonight and I will again show you how I do it, as soon as I start the stream I will let you know here, as @CaptAmerica1611 said tier 6 is one of the easiest to forge. and I totally agree with that

There’s things that are easier to forge, especially it depends on what you’re looking for in a tool, equipment or weapon. The less you want the easier it is. Or if you use brews for compensation then you don’t need to max boons as much. Sometimes even cheaper than leveling boons up. However, Tier 6 I would call probably midway difficulty. The real struggle, and there it doesn’t even matter which formula you’re using, is that you’re getting the exact boons you like, the rng rolls good so you’re always leveling the right boon and not getting any quirk or defect. Believe me, I was at that point where i gave up on the forge because I had weeks of unluckiness. I lowered my demands, but that doesn’t change that the beginning to start off is already rough. I would have constant issues to get damage boon, or aoe or lightness. I would get crit chance, magnet and glow for example repeatedly. If it goes like that for you, there’s nothing we can do to help you. It’s no witchery, it’s not us faking our recipes and approaches. It’s not a bug. It’s the mechanic of the game. It’s the RNG that they need to rework.

The RNG on forging does not need rework at all. Forging is absolutely fine as it is. More and more people actually stated in this Boundless forum that forging is not difficult.

It should not be too easy so people always get everything they want. Let it be a challenge.
For some reason people always want to have things the easy way and when they do get the things the easy way they start complaining that they get bored in the game and they stop playing.

I cannot stress enough that people should stop complaining and INVEST time in learning to forge in the creative world.

The less you know about forging the more RNG you THINK forging is.

4 Likes

This is a good point here. I’ve found that forging low level tools it’s much simpler al together for me to just get the two boons I need and keep everything else off.

This last week I tried forging speed on again but with sapphires it’s a challenge to get everything leveled and then it feels like a waste to over-buff at the block farm but also i don’t want to carry 3 or 4 types of brew because some tools have 25, 35, or 40 speed on them.

It’s faster and simpler to just put the adjacent and magnet boons and then buff accordingly.

1 Like

I don’t think the problem with forging is that it is difficult. The problem is it is frustrating and annoying. People buy them way faster than people make them because making them is annoying and frustrating. There are an awful lot of people who seem to want to buy them hundreds at a time. I’m picturing a forging session where I attempted to make hundreds of tools and I know it would end with my computer in pieces after smashing into a wall.

2 Likes

just bring back the old forging mechanism and everyone is happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want a deconstruction resin 4 … that gives 100% of the mats back and I’d be ok with forging and not complain about it. The RNG makes it frustrating at times. I can forge things and I will say it’s pretty easy, but it’s not consistent and you WILL lose mats it’s a given.

I can show you how max tools or make T6 tools or whatever, but what no one can promise is consistency.

1 Like

I definitely would not stop playing because I’m bored. I got lots ideas. I 100% would stop because the game feels like a massive grind. A lot of games are grindy, that’s part of games. I do not complain about that. But the game can feel sometimes like a job. It doesn’t give me always satisfaction or joy. Sometimes I put in more “effort” than it gives back pleasure. Each game has for everyone an expiry date. Sometimes one gets passion back until it hits one once again. However.

About the forging, 100% both recipes are the same in the beginning. I tried already different approaches in the past when I was more actively forging but it wouldn’t matter, I would still be stuck on even getting the 3 boons I want. I do have knowledge about forging. That didn’t help my unluckiness though. I would forge in the past together with another known forger and everything would go completely fine, and then alone, well knowing all the steps, I’m just not blessed with the rolling. I used same methods just like other known forgers. I really watched several players forge. But one can simply not expect that one owns gameplay is the same as someone else’s. Not in games where random things can happen.

Side note, I always hear people saying how hard Sapphire is to forge. Topaz is so much harder to forge. I have still good forged exemplars from the past that would show people what I was able to forge in good days. Just that those became more rare since a specific update.

Can only agree with @CleoStJames. If you’re spending good amounts of hours in game trying to forge something, only have loss of materials and no decent batch, all to just gather all the materials again in days of work just to repeat the process… yeah that ain’t nice. I was forging for my farms in the past, I was temporarily forging even for HOSTs farms. There were days I loved forging. Like @Redlotus says, such a resin could be already a gamechanger.

Many forgers left the game. Some because things changed and it made it less pleasant or unluckiness or so. But there’s enough forgers that were actually lucky that left the game. If you want to make boundless a more pleasant game then things need to change. Not only forging. There are many things that can get some love. Boundless is nice as is, but we can’t deny that it doesn’t need some love. I would love to see people have fun.

1 Like

There are still a lot of forgers in the game, also people forging for their own, not selling forged things. Those forgers you don’t see but that does not mean they are not forging.

A forging shop just does not work as it is too time consuming to gather and forge for the community.
Players have no issues getting coins and therefore buy forged items by the 100dreds.

I can keep up with forging for my guild and myself. Maybe that is the way to go. Have 1 or 2 forgers in a Guild.

I want to point out again that people got spoiled with good forged tools. They simply don’t seem to accept anything less then what they want and start complaining when they cannot forge the things or when they cannot find the forged items they need as that takes time to go to all the shops and find the tools.

People who dont want to mine anymore because they cannot have the best hammers are the ones complaining the most. Then buy a hammer and I am sure that with that hammer you can mine a lot to easily cover the hammer cost.

Nothing has changed on forging for many years now and it does not need change.
If we don’t have any challenges ingame anymore then people will get bored and stop playing.

A lot of people left the game as they no longer want to wait for an update on the game. It just takes too long. And I am sure more players will leave the game after an update.
Does not mean they won’t return though.

I rather have everything ingame that the original trailer was showing to us, please let them work on that !

1 Like