Which ones are rare goo/pigment/paint colors?

I tried searching but yielded no satisfactory answer.

I read in some (old) posts some colors are harder to get than others.

How do i figure out which colors are considered “rare”?

Aaaand how do people remember?

Well it’s a little difficult to figure out in game for sure. There are a number of colors considered Exo colors and a number of Gleambow colors and their rarity varies based on the the type of block.

For example: Red Gleam is a Gleambow color and very rare. White Sedimentary Rock is an Exo color and also quite rare.

I am sure someone has a list and hopefully will share it. I need to tidy up my list prior to posting it but if no one posts one, I’ll put mine up shortly.

I think most people remember either by a list online or by putting “Exo” or other naming conventions to denote rarity.

@wakeNbake could answer To this.
I dunno does he still play, but he has one of the biggest goo farms In the game.

He knows a lot about goo.

I think theres no such thing as rare nowadays as you have sovereigns nowadays so any color is possible To make. How Hard is some color To make i guess defines the rarity… At least In my eyes.

‘Nearly’ any color would work.

Afaik white rock is exo exclusive
And i have yet to hear of pure red rock

As said some are harder To make.
You still can make the rock using gravel/sand (forgot wich one is it.)

1 Like

Yes I would define the difficulty to make as its rarity as well.

I guess what I am looking for is either a short list or a pattern of some kind…
255 colors to research seems a daunting task but I guess thats a trade secret potentially.

soo white and red are safe to call somewhat “rare” at least?

For paint I wouldn’t say that white is rare. Since we’ve had multiple exos with white rocks on them, I would say that there is a fair amount of white goo kernels/pigments/paint and even rocks in circulation or sitting in shopstands or personal storage. (For example, I have have a shopstand full of white pigments for sale and more kernels in storage).

As for red, since hot cherry, strong cherry and dark red showed up fairly often on Umbris exos, it makes getting them to become red is fairly easy.

Personally I feel like the most rare colors would be strong blue, deep blue, shadow cerulean, strong slate, etc.

I would probably also ask @Larky as he runs a very popular paint shop and probably can give more info on what is more in demand

1 Like

hmm so it shifts?
I guess that should be expected depending on what exos come out.

What are your reasons for those colors?.Or why are they hard to get if that is the reason?

Because they were never on a exo.

Goo kernels’ color depend on the rock they are on in the wild. Each exo has 3 type of rocks, sometimes 3 different colors, so 3 different goo color. But some colors are much more frequent than others. I had done a spread sheet at one point, like others did. And dark turquoise and night orange are amongst the more common colors. And we’ve never have strong blue, shadow blue, deep blue, deep cobalt and probably many others.

You can change the color of the goo by planting it on gleam. For example: hot cherry goo kernel planted on deep red gleam almost every time will become deep red. You can also get some random mutations when you put the goo on rocks. It is just very random, whereas in gleam it goes towards a specific color (could still be random though ahah)

I would also add that the availability of the gleam of the color you want to use is also a factor to consider here.

If you love the color strong blue, then you need strong blue gleam to grow goo on it. But it still has never been available anywhere else that via gleambow. Which makes it quite rare

Add to all of this that it is impossible to get a 100% return on seed for goo.

1 Like

Feels like spreadsheets is a must in this thing…
What am I getting myself into?

Ah but thank you for the information.

This gives me a starting direction of research.

This is a thread I made a year ago, you’ll see some of the things I found out about colors in game. Keep in mind that was before the sovereign worlds rofl. But since goo only appears on exoworlds, the info is still relevant at least partially as the numbers are no longer up to date

there are 2 things to consider , what kind of kernels frequently spawn , and what kind of gleam is the color you try to get.
the 1st thing is what kind of exos frequently spawn , in that regard i’d say that
turquoise, green , moss , yellow, mustard, orange , red, cherry , fuchsia, berry, violet,
maybe lilac as well are quite frequent colors, ofc there have been black and white exos as well but the ones i traveled to were a pain in the butt to get goo from (i normally get 5-15k kernels on an exo i like but on those i lost patience after 1k)

i dont know much about the exos in 2020 but for me considering exos since january there were only rare cases of blues/ cobalt/ cerulean/ azure/ white-black greyscales.

on the 2nd point i noticed a “hidden” rarity chart in block colors some years ago
differentiating between regular available block colors and gleambow only block colors.
now please note that this is entirely hypothetical and only experienced by my own testing and thoughts.
So i was testing if it was possible to mix gleambow gleam with regular available gleam to get lanterns of colors not available . i tested about 20-30 times at which ratio i would have a chance to get rare color. color me suprised that 1 regular gleam was enough to tip the scale of ruining the entire craft color of gleambowgleam and not once but at least 10 time and so i ruined every single testing craft :woman_shrugging: i mean i was prepared for that to happen but still suprised, that gave me the theory of some hidden rarity so that players wouldnt be able to “multiply” gleambow gleam by refining with regular gleam mixed in . i continued testing with exo gleam and sometime mixed up to 4 colors together the result was every single time the regular available gleam got chosen.
And with the same mindset i was looking at my goo mutations. ofc sprays of gleambow only colors get sold fast and the starting goo matters as well but the mutation i get to the desired color are much less on that desired color if its on gleambow gleam.

a nice example is shadow blue , i tried to get tons of shadow blue with night azure goo
turns out i got tons of shadow cerulean even though night azure to shadow blue are only 2 mutation steps , but since shadow cerulean is a “regular” available color it all tended to go there :woman_shrugging:

the prefered order by the system would be regular/sovereign > exo > gleambow

ofc that is hypothetical and i have no concrete data to proof it , just years long experience and what i kinda learned from it.

2 Likes

@Mercutio604 have you tried this tool yet?
https://boundlessinfo.com/goo-mutator/goo-on-gleam
There are other tabs also that show colour paths to arrive chosen colour i.e. number of mutations this will give you some idea of which ones are trickier to achieve.
The mixing side of it is also interesting as you can use fillers and the colour u want to get more sprays.

3 Likes

on regards to where all the exo colors are you should talk to @Fante
he looked into the exo spawning data and told the devs 2 years ago that it would be near impossible to get “pure” colors like red /blue / turquoise etc with the current spawning system setup and the color palette would be very restricted.

Yes I am looking through boundlessinfo but researching 255 colors when I just want to grow 1 end color seems a bit lopsided.

It didnt even occur to me the uneven kernel distribution and gleambow only gleam
(I don’t know how gleambow works yet)

I guess I need to get a hold of gleambow gleam for best results.

Thank you for the background information.

Very useful

Something To Note here is that devs said black gleam is not possible To spawn… Still it did spawn.

Is @Fante a dev?

If you wouldve read the thing… He said that devs have said it.

The devs said they are going to add another 40,000 shades of purple.