Why I went inactive in-game

I am going to only comment on this part as it seems to be the biggest debated. It may not be a requirement for the game to function. However it does enhance the economy by giving rare items that can be sold for more and make builds stand out for being different.

I really don’t see the need for all complaining on the rarity of colors. Why? Because ot gives another reason to stay active, when I see an exo with wood, stone or gleam that is blues, greens, purples, reds and whites I make a point to go and mine 5 to 10 smart stacks of that color for my builds. Just like many others do with exos.
Besides enhancing the economy it also gives players another reason to stay active and continue to interact with the community.
If you don’t like the rarity part then get a creative planet when they come out or a sovereign world with your selected colors.

Truth be told if players didnt get ran off for various reasons and we could increase the player base, then more worlds would generate and therefore make more colors of different block types perm colors. Which if I understand everything I have read on the forums that has been the hopes of the devs from day one.

But, because new players either figure out they dont like buulding games like boundless, get ignored by the community or ran off by trolls the expansion of perm worlds is not happening on a regular basis. So rather than rewrite the whole game to change that algorithm the devs are doing sovereign and creative worlds. This way with sovereign worlds more colors become common.

Point blank boundless unlike minecraft takes effort and work period. While the controls and environment interactions are quite simple and easy does not mean everything should be simple and easy in the game. Every game has challenges and rarity is a challenge in boundless.

Said it already but ill say it again the Wonderstruck team has done a wonderful job on the game and they dont have to be everything to everyone, nor should they be. Everyone has parts of any game they like and dislike but it is not the devs job to make you happy all the time just because you don’t like 1 thing about the game.

Like it or don’t that is up to you. But more of us have no problems with the block color rarity and exos than do so I don’t see the devs making that change any time soon.

4 Likes

I was going to reply to this as well, but decided to explain why colour rarity is my biggest turn off for the game and why creative worlds are simply not the answer to this issue …

…and quite frankly, putting this politely as I possibly can … it’s very #X?!£$& frustrating for other players to just brush it aside with a casual - “go play creative”.

12 Likes

It doesn’t meet their agenda so they don’t want anything changed for them and want us gone

6 Likes

I will disagree that it makes builds stand out. . as I stated before. . I have no clue if the color blue you are using in a build is rare or not unless I actually go and hit the block to see the color and have a chart to know what colors are available in the universe, so I do not feel there is any validity to this port of the argument. As far as enhancing the economy. I do not see any reason why builders should be punished to “enhance” the economy. When have the players that value the economy had to take any hits in order for building to be enhanced? The answer is they have not. Every time a new block is added, it gives players even interested in the economy something else to sell to the builders that want to use it. That enhances the economy without harming the building side of the game.

You cannot get a sovereign world with whatever colors you want so this is not a solution to the problem. You can only pick from the colors that have existed on the public non-exo planets. So in the case of stone that means fewer than 35 of the 255 possible colors can be picked. I have already pointed out why the “go to creative” argument is not valid.

I will agree with this. if fewer players would insist that everything is ok and recognize that the game needs to change in order to retain more players then maybe we would have a bigger player base. That would lead to more planets and they would lead to more colors. And that is the point. The color rarity is a function of the lower player base. If true then color rarity is an aberration and should not be used by any player as a reason why they play the game because if the player base does grows then this aspect of the game goes away.

I disagree with this. If players choose tier one or tier two worlds to build on then we are likely to see the same algorithms generate the same colors just as they have before. We may get a few new colors, but I do not think it is fair or right for players to have to pay real money for the colors to happen. That means there is a problem with the game and the developers should allow players that do rent a sovereign planet to pick any color they want and not be restricted. That will get the more popular colors into the universe faster.

True Boundless does require more effort that Minecraft. But that alone has nothing to do with color rarity. I do think it is a reason why players do not stick with the game. It is hard to feel like you accomplished very much if you spend a few hours in game and all you have is a few SS of rocks. Lots of reviews complain about the grind.

You have no way of knowing if this statement is true or not. I can say with just as much confidence that the game would be more successful and overall players would be happier if color rarity was eliminated.

8 Likes

Everyone has the right to their opinion. But I can assure you less have a problem with the rarity than you seem to think. I have talked to many community members since I started playing it seems to be generaly accepted that it is a good thing.

As to your thoughts on colors staying rare and how that is going to work on sovereign worlds, I would suggest ypu go read the last huge sovereign world thread that is now closed. It was clearly stated several times that you get to pick your color scheme and then there would be randomness to what genned what colors. So in fact it will eventually get many colors being more common, IF people open up their sovereign worlds to the community.

I personally hope boundless game play and color rarity stays to some degree even with sovereign worlds. It is fun when an Exo comes out and you have the excitement of seeing what is on it and if it is something you need.

In my opinion the fact that the game takes effort is one of the reasons I play and love the fact that it takes work. But then again I dont do participation trophies.

But as my grandfather(who is a retired 4 star general.) Says all the time, “If you look hard enough then you can always find something to complain about.” and that statement pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole conversation on rarity and difficulty.

3 Likes

Where is that? Show me the quote.
James clearly said that Lush worlds are meant to look earthlike. So brownish trees, greenish foliage, etc. So any T1-T2 would most likely just join the other very look alike T1-T2 planets we have.

I would really like to know who said what you are referring to. Color scheme is decided by the type of planet. And once the planet is generated you can change colors for already present on permanent or other sovereign worlds colors.

4 Likes

Same for me, which is why it’s gets really annoying when people say to “go play creative” instead.

Neither do I. It’s why I’ve been actively playing for 5 years. I prefer to work for what I want… as long as that thing is actually available to get somewhere in the universe.

8 Likes

But if you go higher then what i said becomes true. Tou cant have your cake and eat it too, come on now.

If there was nothing to work towards and there wasnt rare colors thengame would be totally boring imo but thats just me.

I am bowing out of the conversation at this point because everyone who claims to not like the rareity wants everyone to hear them but if you disagree and say your point of view you get attacked for feeling differently and are not heard. You cant complain without at least being willing to listen to the oposite opinion.

Everyone on both sides are bent on telling the other that they are wrong that neither wants to listen. Shame.

Interesting the circle of players I play with and talk to have exactly the opposite opinion, if I use that as the basis for my statement then I am right and you are wrong. But the truth is neither of us knows and in the end we are each entitled to our opinions. But without some form of global polling the entire players base (which is not the forum participants) , I will never just accept any individual player saying they know how the majority of players feel on a topic. I think it is merely a tool used by some players to stifle other players from stating their opinions.

And I was hopeful of the same. But the fact is that there are algorithms that determine the colors on the planets based on the tier and type. This is a fact confirmed by James. So color generation is not truly random when a new planet spawns. Tier 1 and tier 2 try to look “earthlike” according to James. And as a result if you look at the colors on the existing planets, you will see a large number of repetitions with the same colors appearing time and time again across planets. If sovereign planets are using the same algorithms (which from what I understand is true) then what we will get is a continuing repeat of the same colors with maybe an occasional new color. This is not a solution if it takes a thousand rental planets and/or 5 years. And again, why do players have to pay real money to fix a game problem? Should they charge players that really want Titans?

i agree and never asked for participation trophies.

If you are saying a higher tier planet has a higher chance of random colors then again, there are algorithms for every tier/type of planet. Each algorithm will drive colors a certain way. Some of the higher tier will only give you shades of the same color. So just selecting a higher tier planet doe not automatically mean you will get all new colors or even one new color.

And if you are getting the planet to build on anyway, why do you want to do it on a higher tier planet? Fewer players can visit if it has atmosphere protection requirements, It takes more effort to landscape and build, the mobs are a constant irritation, and the atmosphere colors skew what colors you are building with anyway.

5 Likes

As to building on higher tiers you get the higher tier planet for better color generation chances and a lower tier to build on at least that is my plan. More planets better new color chances.
I have seen the generator screen on the test side from another players test sovereign world and I am sure there is a bit more control than you realize which means you may be pleasently surprised.

We’ve tested them as well btw so we already know what that looks like. And again environment lighting changes things some of us don’t want. Among a bunch of other things that have already been said

5 Likes

Well lets see. Used the test screen to generate my creative world so I do know from personal experience how few options were on it.

So no I was not pleasently surprised, I was disappointed. However, does this mean this is the final screen that will be used? No it does not. But if they use the current algorithms that exist for the tiers types then it is the same as we get now.

2 Likes

If every color was available, then there would be 0 new content until every patch or update.

If this game could last 10 years, then weeks or months with nothing to do but gather everything that is always available, there would be no small content regularly to keep the “general community” active

Exos would be useless and might as well be removed cuz it is all available

Less to almost none would shop at people who busted their but to go gather that “semi exclusive”

And many who have spent thousands of hours gathering “limited colors” would have no reason to validate all their work

And if we choose one thing specifically for people who want black, then the next group that want a different color will complain that the first group got what they asked, for but why cant group #2

If this game is to last, we don’t need every bit of content today, we need it over years so there is always something fresh. Yes it would be nice to have sooner, but programming games takes years

We can argue about the block color availability, but this system is boundless and has been. Yall are asking for a completely different mechanic based game 2 years after release.

and @PrincessMaude
After placing the World Control they will be asked to set up the Worlds block-colours, with changes causing a re-mesh of the world to see the effect. Block colours are restricted to whatever colours are available throughout the public and private universe excluding Exoworlds. Player worlds will be given a default generated palette which may contain new colours not seen in the rest of the universe, and these new colours are also then available

The moment the planet is generated, it chooses random colors with the chance at a new color, then when you go to the planet you can choose to change all the colors, but if you got one of the new unlocked colors, it will be unlocked for everyones planet they make after that

3 Likes

No you get all the lucents and resin and petrol. So they are not useless at that point.

1 Like

Ok, so t7 exos would have lucients, so all lvl 4-6 exos would have only liquids to gather, great idea.
Im sure the crowds would flock there for 1 item

2 Likes

If by higher you mean higher tier worlds, then yes to some extent it becomes true. BUT, I would like to insist on the fact that exoworlds are supposed to be the way to get more/new colors brought into the game. And if the sovereign world generator follows the same rules as the exoworlds generator, then we will most likely end up with silk yellow/dark turquoise worlds.

@Jaidic I understand how color chosing works, thank you. I was questioning where @DragonTamer took his information in which he said that you could chose the palette range of your planet, hoping to get a quote from the thread he mentioned

1 Like

And they go for the gems due to areas being plotted on the public planets and other resources like kindling . so again hardly useless.

1 Like

Would it be a reasonable compromise to allow the community to do something to steer exo colors? That way there is still limited availability, but it’s more likely that in-demand colors would be available? That and an expansion of the painting system?

I am over exaggerating to prove a point. I agree it would be nice to have every color available, but that should have been a decision made before release.

The game is 2 years past released. That should have been changed before launch, this far into it would upset the mechanic balance people have already time sunk thousands of hours into. It would have to be a slow progress change if they were to implement over time. One update with every color for everyone would not be wise.

5 Likes

The compromise already exists. Creative worlds. What’s the objection with this option that the every colour for everyone side of the discussion has? Is it the lack of xp?