Why I went inactive in-game

I find that phrase particularly ironic seeing as many of these same folks used their agendas to get folks removed and or banned and even game mechanics changed and they didnt have a problem seeing those folks gone.

I do enjoy (no lie) seeing the hierarchy in this game marinating in the emptiness they indeed created. Theres really no secret as to why things are the way they are now, its merely the same folks that wanted (or thought they wanted) the sandbox to themselves now have turned to cannibalizing each other.

I absolutely loved this game as released and would still be playing today if it was kept as it was. Meaning CoC was adhered and enforced equally to everyone and no one got special treatment. Unfortunately this game had/does have an unfair playing field.

The point of all games to be successful is we all live under the same rules if that is not adhered to and agendas of certain folks over rule the rule of law and fair play you get chaos . People play games to relax and compete and create. They dont play to have to kowtow to certain individuals/groups agendas and so they end up doing one of two things just going to play something else or fighting back within the rules. Once you poke the bear back though you get ostracized,demonized, flagged posts, and even banned.

So lets not blame the game itself the game itself WAS great but just like in other games I have played where Devs change their game mechanics to quell a vocal minority it always ends badly for the game as a whole. Now Im not against change per say as long as it creates content and builds on itself but if its very design is to limit others (buffers,Compactness etc…) and delay REAL content then yeah be prepared to bleed out. Was the compactness and buffers worth the delay in content? Did it help retain players? NO it did exactly the opposite. Now everyones like “I dont understand.” Well maybe some of you need to look in the mirror.

3 Likes

Creative lacks a feeling of accomplishment. The request is to have them consistently available… at a cost. If I want to build with pretty colors, I need to brave a more challenging world to harvest, and the materials cost more to gather.

If I wanted to build without the game part of the game, I’d just go use a voxel art editor.

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m not going to get into the middle of this discussion and try to defend how much I disagree with color rarity and the excuses around it must stay for the economy. I’ve had a few conversations with this directly and unfortunately I don’t have a good way to explain ‘why’ it still sticks beyond the usual “some people will complain and players like it.”

Instead of trying to sway the conversation either way, I’ve decided to focus my efforts on re-balancing Goo Farming and finding a way to move it from “end game / higher level” character skills to a more middle-tier game play. I’d honestly love some input from experience Goo farmers (pm me directly) to find ways to make that part of the game a bit easier for people. I think that is likely an easier avenue at this point to get James to help assign development time to solve the larger issue. It isn’t a perfect answer but certainly more likely a solution versus trying to beat a dead horse on the larger argument.

Some of my initial ideas is adding Goo to lower tiered planets and removing the main Exo focus of delivery. This is mostly to cut down on Exo cost and the issue around higher tier Exo not working for mid-tier game players.

5 Likes

Creative is an oppritunity for everyone, and I mean alot of outside players, who do not care about or play survival games or rpgs.

It is for Artists who want to be able to only create and showcase. Not gather or earn.

Yes anyone can edit in a voxel editor, but this way it will be connected to the main universe and everyone can visit and see ideas of what is possible, or impossible

Im sure over years we will see some peoples whole creative worlds fully covered and customized, work beyond what one could accomplish in the official universe

I’m 100% for creative worlds, since there are definitely people who want them.

I’m mostly saying that there is also a separate group of people who want more colors in the main worlds and that creatives don’t solve the issue of color accessibility for those players.

6 Likes

They have been changing core mechanics all along. They have made substantial changes to plots and beacons. They added farming (which was never mentioned on the website). They have been willing make a large number of changes to core mechanics and I believe they will make more in order to improve the game. Of course that means that players will have to adapt just as they did when the other changes were made. I just think they need to do what is best for the game and not try to preserve something just because it has always been that way. Lets face it, we bought an unfinished game and things are going to change. Hopefully in ways that will attract and retain more players that the current mechanics seem to.

3 Likes

False. I hate color rarity. It shouldn’t exist.

4 Likes

This compromise doesn’t help the ones like us who want to go grind the blocks we want to use, but don’t exist in the color we want.

3 Likes

Personal opinion period. Your not more right or wrong than I am. It is just your preference and that is perfectly fine.

Could it be more balanced sure but saying it shouldn’t exist is a little extreme. Some block colors should be left as exo just to keep some gameplay diversity in the game.

We all should stop trying to change peoples views and just accept everyones opinions and say we agree to disagree. This thread started out with a post about their problems with the game and has been hijacked and diluted to a complaint factory on color rarity being done away with.

Lets just all agree that everyones points are valid and leave it at that. Let peoples truths be there own and yours be yours. It’s ok, if we all thought the same the world would be a very dull place.

1 Like

Saying it must exist is also a little extreme. It doesn’t really add much to the game other than driving people away as it has been.

2 Likes

Yes it does it adds to the economy and the uniqueness of builds. But, I am not arguing it any more I am beginning to feel like folks are pushing for a fight over this and I for one will not participate any longer for fear this is all going to eventually be an all out battle royal of opinions.

1 Like

I agree. When talk was starting about being able to soon paint blocks I got excited. It was the way where every colour for every block would be possible at a price. Either grinding for it like with all the other things in game or buying them.

Once released I was quite disappointed, not only was it not possible to paint all the blocks it also is way, way, way too much work to get any big amount of sprays which means buying enough of them or making enough of them is still totally out of reach for basically everyone. And of course I mean for really large builds. Sure, some colours are easier to get than others but it’s still not really doable.

One spray can should be able to paint more than 1 block, also all blocks should be paintable plus like Xaldafax says making sure that mid level players can already do it would be great. Of course higher level players will be able to do it more efficiently with a higher turn out like with all the other craftable things.

This way the rarity is still there and getting the block in the right colour will still be the easiest method but you can still grind for them in another way as well, a way that seems feasible which right now is absolutely not the case

6 Likes

Has the economy had to give something up for builders in the past? The economy can and will rebalance/rebound when changes to the game are made. Look at the whole debacle over the marble changes that happened. People whined and complained when those changes happened, but the economy is no worse than it was before the change. So the economy excuse doesn’t fly with me.

2 Likes

Actually, I don’t think it should work like that. I think this game would do well to have a few more mechanics where the ‘best’ you could be at something happened before you have a full, optimised skill page open and over-forged tools. It gives newer players a meaningful way to spend their time that isn’t instantly devalued by a better geared player doing in minutes what it would take them hours to do. We already have way too much of that.

Imagine how much more accessible colours would be a if a mid-level character was encouraged to make colours for the end-game players to buy.

7 Likes

Let’s tackle one thing at a time

The way they implemented creative world is terrible. They live completely outside the game mechanic but are connected to the main universe for no real reason.

Here is what I would have liked creative worlds to be - what would make me consider to use creative worlds:

If this is my home, I want to have my workshop there, and I want to have my storage there. I want to be able to build a shop there. Creative worlds are connected to the main universe, which means you are supposed to go there. But as it is now you must build your base on a sovereign world. Terrible design, it completely removes any “life” out of the creative worlds because they are just a dead branch alongside the living universe.

In my opinion, creative worlds should have been implemented like that:

• Whenever you summon a block or item through the give menu it gets flagged as “creative”.
  • When leaving the world, these creative flagged items can’t leave the creative world.
  • When you place such a block it gets flagged as creative (At the moment the game knows 2 version of every existing block - a natural one and a placed one. They use that to calculate if the block can drop additional resources like earthyams. This would just be a third.)
  • When you dig up a block on a creative world that is flagged as creative, it goes into your inventory flagged as creative. Everything else goes into your inventory as normal block and you can take it with you when you leave the world.

That would allow us to mine for resources on creative worlds (mined resources could be taken with you, summoned resources can not). It would just be a different server type for the same game mechanic (like PvE and PvP servers in many games). But the way it is now it’s a completely different game with a different game mechanic. Why should that interest me? I rather play a different game then a second Boundless on a creative world.

1 Like

There is a real reason even if you don’t agree with it. They have been very consistent about game rules and what types of modes fall into what. The connection is to keep the modes from becoming fragmented and to allow for people to explore and possible player content across both modes.

While I can see how it might have been nice to have a design you wanted but at the end of the day, they had technical reasons to not implement things the way you shared. I know for a fact because I myself pitched the option of having both modes of flagged items in an inventory on a call directly with James. For whatever reason they chose to go the way they did. Very likely this is because at some point “local server mode” and “personal server rentals” modes would be connected into the game and that would open the opportunity for people to hack the code and mess with those “creative flags” you are talking about. The mode they have now removes that risk completely.

2 Likes

I’m not going to comment on an implementation level - I have no idea of the implication. But what we now get is two extremes with completely different rules.

Sovereign Creative
Extremely Grindy*, or Sloggy You get everything for free
Long crafting times You get everything instantaneous
Annoying and expensive to fuel portals Same planet portals are free
Extremely limited color selection All the colors are available, including basic glass(!!!)
Annoying farming which lacks many needed QoL improvements No farming needed
Annoying forging that is way to complicated and requires way to many ingredients No forging required
Being part of a living world Everything you do doesn’t matter in the slightest

*) YMMV

What some player were actually asking was to

• allow us to farm all colors
  • require us to farm but not that insane amount for a stack of bricks or something
  • cut down on crafting time, putting down 20 of the same machines is fun for some, not for others
  • make forging a bit more consistent and don’t require days of crafting time to produce the ingredients.
  • remove stupid forge buffs (AE for spanner, magnet for hammer cough)
  • fix the whole mess that are portals. that part of the game is broken on some many levels.
  • and, most important of all, give us fully transparent glass without borders!!! We have threads on this forum back from EA where people requested it and it was explained that it is technically impossible. Why they thought that one of the most requested features, now that it is possible, should be blocked behind this stupid gleam bow stuff is just besides me…

I’m sure there’s an audience for creative worlds but most people who are unhappy asked to lessen the pain a bit, they didn’t ask for the pendulum to swing to the other extreme.

7 Likes

Yeah, hosted private universes where we have more control come up in my guild a fair bit. If anything we want more survival elements to enjoy and for the game to be less time gated.

5 Likes

The line between creative and MMO universes have been very clear since EA. The only change has been to allow some level of connection. All those things you list as concerns are expected to be handled OUTSIDE of the creative worlds. Creative is not a solution for the MMO grind balance and never was going to be.