Why is ONE portal network not enough?

If the portal networks all merged into one there would be less footfall and less money to go around. It would be a direct hit to the economy. Oort, which is the Boundless version of oil, would crash and burn in price without multiple networks competing and contributing to demand. Selling oort is one of the key driving forces to the Boundless economy. Footfall generates coin, but Oort moves the coin.

I would like to thank all the portal network owners. Without you, Boundless would not be worth playing - and I donā€™t mean that in a negative sense. You ARE the game!

3 Likes

If you need 18 conduits just to get to the planet you can make it 36 and it would still cost the same. At a certain point it will always drain the same amount. Pretty sure itā€™s 18 and up is the same. Tho I could be wrong and it might be 21 and up.

1 Like

lol exactly!

There are many portal networks because people want to build them.

Wanting to build a network is not congruent with a desire to play with everyone else who also has a network. Everyone has their own style, vision and ideas. The game supports that and I think many portal networks is awesome :slight_smile: they are cool.

8 Likes

Agreedā€¦ we built the TNT network simply because we thought it would be a fun project, had some ideas on how we might do it differently, and wanted to see if we could actually pull it off.

Im sure there will be many more too, and personally i cant wait to see what other peoples creativity can add to the game. Thats what its all about.

8 Likes

Iā€™m so ordering this :laughing:

Because the other hubs wont quit already! Jk <3

Recently us at Iconic teamed up with Hubbit. So groups are working together. We offer their T1-T5 they offer our T6. @FayaAOP

6 Likes

Footfall!
Everyone wants to the massive footfall associated with a high traffic portal network.

1. A network is required to bypass the poor travel mechanics in the game. So at least one must exist.
  2. After one was created people saw two thingsā€¦
    • High foot traffic is highly profitable, and you donā€™t get higher foot traffic than a Portal Network.
    • Some people wanted slightly different things out of their portal network.
  3. [PS] uses a conservative approach (centralized travel hubs) to reduce costs.
  4. Others created portal networks for farming locations specifically
  5. Others (TNT) created a hub with direct connections to all portals for less hops, though this comes at a much great cost to maintain.

The ones that work well remain, the ones that canā€™t generate enough foot traffic will fail and die due to the massive upkeep costs. But it comes down to people wanting to make money, and differences in desired benefits for the portal networks.

2 Likes

ā€œThe ones that work will remainā€

Well said.

Fighting for resources is a real thing. In a free portal market anyone is welcome to open a portal hub and I think the Devs want it to be free.

Those that can afford the Oort upkeep will continue. Those that canā€™t will disappear. The portal industry, aka ā€œBig Portalā€ survives on footfall, Oort donations, hunts for Oort, and buying Oort. If thereā€™s an Oort shortage and prices go up, the wealthiest portal hubs will continue on as the others lose out. Thatā€™s just how businesses work. If you prefer one portal network over the others you can run your own hunts and donate proceeds, or host Oort charity events etc.

Just thought of an exo auction with all proceeds going into Oort and being donated to a portal hubā€¦ O_o

1 Like

Because as we see time and time again the kids canā€™t play together in sand box sometimes and itā€™s all fun n games until one kid flicks sand in the other kids eyes!!! Then those kids go find a new sand box!!

2 Likes

The real question is how have you not heard of xkcd until now???

2 Likes

Hehe I liked this

3 Likes

I think there are two main patterns: centralized, and low cost (distributed). so at the very least there will always be 2 popular networks. Beyond that I think it could be a group that thinks they can improve on one of those patterns. someone who is not getting adoption from the existing network, or doesnā€™t care to try to get adoption, or doesnā€™t think they wonā€™t be rewarded for their idea from the existing group, or doesnā€™t realize all the issues and solutions that have gone into existing networks.

PS is always folding new ideas and feedback in, and weighing factors against eachother. Other distributed networks in the past have failed to do this. Ultima has chosen a middleground between the two, which seems to be leading more people who prefer centralized to choose TNT. Iā€™m not sure what I think about that pattern, but I thinks will keep changing, and people will keep trying to compete.

4 Likes

Creating a portal network is one of the great challenges of boundless. I think itā€™s crazy to assume players wonā€™t want to create their own. That would just be expecting people to pay the giants that already exist and accept that theyā€™ll never be able to accomplish the same. I donā€™t think itā€™s about greed or footfall or petty disagreements at all. I think portal networks are a goal post and players want to reach them. Aside from that, I agree that the good ones will stay and the bad ones will fade :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Innovation! The most amazing thing to watch humans do.

1 Like

Its not about FF for the hive. The whole build is on 1 lone beacon. Its about offering quality.

But maybe with the lack of new players and people taking breaks that should be changed.

I really only know one. And I would not consider the hive a network but a tool for hunts and farming.

You know the ā€œoneā€ im talking about.

1 Like

I hadnā€™t either, although I have heard of sequential art comic strip

One United Guild Network.

ā€œIf only Rome had but one neckā€ ā€“ Caligula

2 Likes

With the way the permissions are set up & from watching previous disintegrations ā€¦ I think itā€™s a bad idea. Plus people are peopleā€¦they get tired of playing or get mad at someone and take it out on the whole hub/town. No thanks lol

5 Likes

Neither is it for the Portal Seekers, the network is build with a vision to create a good hub in our eyes. Cost effecient and organised.
When it was still Moebius Plaza the place to be, i got always lost true the portals, being from all the planets and running around in circles XD
Thats why we decided to give player portals a 2x1 size. so theya re fromt he planet they are hooked on.
Same with the shops eventhough that is more centrulized :smiley:

But yeah thats the reason why there shouldnt be one portal network. a monopoly doesnt fuel innovation. a solo network will result all the capitals will be around those hubs and a big lose in the economy. If there was one network the demand for oort will drop and that is one of the stable income items of the game.

And dont forget that those lands around the hub will be camped be people who want a spot. While some spots will be idle for months because the owner isnt active anymore but still buys gleamclub. And how are people able to connect to the hub? Do the devs need to put time and effort in those hubs to maintain them? eventhough i rather see them doing stuff for the game machenics.
Do leaders need to maintain them? how are they picked and what happens if they dont get along. There have been some struggle between guilds eventhough thats none intention .

Eventhough iā€™m a portal seeker , i sometimes like to see how other hubs look like and what they came up with.
Everyone their own tasteā€¦ everyone can decide which road t hey take :smiley:
The networks are an important part of the game which is alot of fun!

3 Likes

Thats what I like about you all :wink:

Quality like Besevrona

1 Like