Why is ONE portal network not enough?

Lol… I like thinking of them as Big Portal. It’s definitely it’s own industry and gives the boundless economy a different perspective. certain economies definitely have particular industry leaders.

There’s Big Portal, Big Forging, and Big Gleam for sure.

I’m actually wondering about commodities like forging ingredients. Think one could build a business solely around buying/selling forging compounds etc?

1 Like

Yes… but if you buy those same mats and forge the final quality products I would suspect you would be far further ahead.

There are several of these.

2 Likes

The portal industry is kind of like the internet/communications industry. Though we could live without it, it would put us at a severe disadvantage in life, so it’s virtually a necessity. Both industries are also oligopolies due to limited market infrastructure and costs to maintain.

This was a super fun read and a great break. There are a few rough analyses on here that I feel are pretty much right on. And by people I respect a lot. Personally, I think I like the continuum of “hubs”. I dont know that there’s a one size fits all, but it does seem to me that people tend to get used to different styles and stick with them. I fully expect to see hubs come and go. But I wouldn’t be surprised if some merged either. We have examples of this already, including within the current TNT net.
One thing is for sure though, maintaining a hub of any size is a labor of love. And I think those who keep them reliable deserve a thank you. I know I would not have gotten far (or as utterly lost) in the game without PS and Ultima. And thankyou to Hubbit, Hunt Hive (Iconic), Duskmoor (sorry about your recent apocalypse), Legendville!!!, PURE, and of course Illuminaughty and even Mom&Pops… games better because of you :hugs:

Apologies for the folk I forgot to mention… Aenea, … Forgemasters, … Um… et al…
OMG Gyosha Mall

7 Likes

Honestly its not about being able to build the business, forging is big business, that’s what half of the raw goods seem to go towards. The problem is being able to reliably supply the shop. Lots of forging ingredients are rare (roadrunner feathers, hopper cores, etc…). These types of goods and the items crafted by them aren’t really farmable due to the horrible drop rates, so you really have to purchase these goods. Then you get into things like the paste bases which just require tons of beans, if you were trying to source out pastes you would end up spending your whole ingame time just farming beans and nothing else. Then we get into other goods which again require a variety of animal goods which again are not easily farmable, though it is possible to go on large hunts to help aquire these goods, but again you need to be able to gather them in enough quantity to supply a shop.

Lets just say I have a hard enough time gathering/buying just for my own forging habit, I can’t imagine having to collect goods for a dozen others as well. I would have no time at all for my own pursuits in the game. But in short, absolutely you could sell forging supplies, the question is can you provide enough supplies to keep your shop stocked.

Why is ONE?? Not enough? From what I’ve seen players think its coin in pocket for bigger guilds. Even though bigger guilds run 550k plus for max level buffs.

In an ideal world we would all work together and pay for 1-2 max guild buffs and accept the 3rd. I just never see that happening any time soon if ever. Even though we all want the same thing (game growth and longevity)

1 Like

I’ve seen these kinds of discussions so many times and i’m always confused as to what the actual issue is.

The amount of portal networks will always balance itself out. The more portal networks exist, the less FF each will get. Until a point where the lesser used ones won’t be able to keep up anymore and stop. Meaning more FF for the popular ones which will then bounce back again. This is a natural process and will ensure that only the portals that can keep up with demand stay alive.

What’s the problem with having choices? Why would we just want 1? If you just want 1, pick your favorite and use that one?

I just really can’t see an actual problem here.

9 Likes

Even i like what you posted, i dont see “These Kind of discussions” in the amount you seem to have seen them.
There is no Problem with choices and People who know me or followed my Posting Abit would know i am ALL for choices and more choices.
I started this thread after i saw another Person beeing worked out over there Portal System and thought why not make a thread asking why we Need 10s of them or more.
Thats the reason behind this thread. No dark sinister plan to destroy the connectivity of the universe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was not so much a direct response to your OP :slight_smile:
My little rant was more directed at the people who complain about multiple networks. Ive seen it here and on private discord conversations a few times and every time it just baffles!

1 Like

Really though, for the best longevity portal networks almost have to be franchised out. It’s very difficult for a couple people to have portals to every planet in the game, but for one player to own/fuel Planet A’s portal and another Planet B it’s not the end of the world if one person drops out.

1 Like

When portal networks come begging for help to remain open because their model is no longer sustainable, this happens. It’s happened twice I believe. This is the third time. Bail outs happen in Boundless just like the Global banking system.

There is nothing wrong with reaching end of life/use. It’s why I said in a different comments that innovation is the most amazing thing. People need to continually innovate or they need know when their time of shine/golden age is setting.

I wish warping were more practical, it would be a fun way to get around.

2 Likes

I agree, evolution and Darwin will solve this.

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to use an augment from sanctum for a long time I can set location but warp never open anymore hasn’t for some time now not sure if it’s a bug

Have you posted a thread under Support?

No i have not done that yet. I just thought maybe that was a feature that was removed as i haven’t been able to for over six or more months now

You’ve replaced the warp augment in your totem right? They’re single use (just checking)

Yes i know how they work i have been playing boundless since September 6th 2018 im not a noob lol.
it used to work but now it just wont open the warp

2 Likes