Will private servers diminish the current experience?

crazy…i wonder how many plots that would take…lol…appears to be about 180 tall…so 23 vertical…alone for 1 part…time to win the lotto…

And it would take how long to gather and manufacture the resources to build it??? A year maybe? But it would be epic and cool

I think we can find common ground here.

Rented worlds with access control and access to the common market are ok, if there is no impact on the economy.

If people without private worlds are getting suckered and/or feel cheated the game will get the p2w tag very fast and will suffer as whole.

Private worlds should grant certain advantages of course like control over the land, rule making, etc. But should never give any non-planet related advantages over non-private-planet owners.

I agree there really is common ground. It is not in the interest of people renting servers to have the game fail.

One thing I do want to point out is rule making - as long as this rule has nothing to do with changing game mechanics for example (resource distributions, locations, or required planet tiers, tool durability) that is fine. If you change game mechanics then I think you have to seriously consider separating the planet from the public universe. This can be gamed to that persons advantage. I want private planets but not at the expense of the public universe. I do think this is the way the developers want to handle it.

1 Like

Would be interesting to get a dev response here giving their current thoughts as to how this will be implemented. I’m one of those people that would potentially rent a planet, depending on how the system was implemented, and of course, depending on the price.

Meanwhile, does anyone mind providing some links to any recent dev posts on the subject? (via message is fine if you don’t want to derail the thread)

“Official Private Boundless Servers - Players will also be able to buy and create their own world. These worlds will be accessed from the main game universe. Players can control who has access to their world.”

I do not like this, I’ll definitely be pausing my membership when it expires until I see what access they have.

I realize it was made two years ago, the post that is, so I’ll hold my judgement and wait to see what they say.

I, personally, hate the entire idea of this. Nothing kills an online focused game faster than dividing the player base. The only ways to fix it would void the point of a private world.

Just sell skins, or something

Do I have to plot land on a planet I’m renting, or can I set natural regen off?

I understand the concerns about splitting the player base, but at the same time I know I do want to rent a planet. I want to be able to make the planet look like I want and then build all over it, without having to worry about other people plotting locations, harvesting the trees, strip mining, or any other activities. It generates revenue for Wonderstruck and has low impact. Many of the guilds I have interactions with have also expressed the desire to have a guild planet. Someplace they can call home and do with as they want without having to worry about other players interfering in their plans. Rented planets give people places they can build on long term and not worry someone else will get there first.

Personally I have no interest in skins or cosmetic items. They might get money out of me for plots, auto refuel or a rented planet, but not for skins. I think they also look at rented planets as ongoing revenue versus skins that are one time buys.

It was made two years ago, it has been referenced since, but until they provide more updated plans it is all we have.

I think that all depends. If you want to access your planet from the public universe, then you have to follow the rules of the universe. I would think that means you have to plot land and allow regen. If you do not want to access the planet from the public universe then I believe you can change the rules to whatever you want.

Gathering won’t be restricted, only placing beacons (supposedly if this is still to be a thing)

What I’m wondering then tho if you can make it private at first, build, then open it up…

Yes, I get that you can not allow anyone else to plot beacons, and ofcourse later change that, but if it’s still connected to everything else people can still visit and see the WIP and you might not like that…

"Your own World - purchase your own world. You can whitelist who can visit (including ‘everyone’) and whitelist who can claim plots (including ‘everyone’). "

I copied this quote, so you can limit who can gather and mine. And separately who can build.

1 Like

Ah right - I think I tied that to private worlds with modding capabilities back when I read it ;p

Though to be fair, there’s so little information on it at this time that we don’t really know what any of it is going to amount to

1 Like

I think they will have to come up with better terminology to separate worlds connected to the public universe and those that are not or a lot of people are going to be confused.

The first quote with the reference I gave you is from this year. The other is pretty old but all I could find.
I think they will do “rented” planets for the revenue stream and there is some user demand for it. But always (as we have learned) the form it takes is subject to change until it happens.

1 Like

I am going to go off topic for a minute. . why can’t more of the forum posts be like this? We are discussing implementation of a feature that raises real concerns for some people. And others are passionate that it will not. Yet there is no name calling, people are trying to separate facts from opinion and hopefully no one is leaving with hard feelings towards anyone else.

I do appreciate the way people are interacting with each other on this thread. Hopefully this can continue.

5 Likes

The community here is pretty decent it turns out :slight_smile:

I think they are or I would not have the time invested in this game. There will always be people that are never happy, or have to complain or really are trolling, but hopefully that stays in the minority.

But enough off topic

1 Like

In all honestly, I really do believe if players were to be allowed to rent custom worlds, it would be, quite frankly, the beginning of the end.

Sure, they would make money off it, but it would also severely diminish the relatively small player-base.

I’m ok with them adding in a limited and controlled number of new planets based on player inputs, but allowing players to buy many of them will diminish the playerbase (and probably be branded as pay to win, even though it isn’t)

1 Like

This is my concern:

I buy my own planet and I have the right to decide who builds here.

The first thing I do is claim the property i want for myself…so far so good.

The next thing I’m going to do is go to all the best builders I can find and offer them spots on my world. Why wouldn’t I?

And if I’m one of the best builders, why would I say no? I’d be crazy.

Add multiple planets and all the best builders emigrate from the public servers and the public worlds become devoid of the best talent.

I can’t see that having anything but a negative impact on the game.

1 Like