All Crafting Recipes (C++ version)

if someone knows recipes or blocks i have not listed on the top pls post it here than i can add it to the top.

pls post no untested recipes.

@olliepurkiss: Is this not illogical? How can it be a “copper-tier” item if it not even contain stone or ore. I think it would makes more sense if you need “copper” (ore) for this items.

Probably just a placeholder recipe

Should I just make the post into a wiki post (editable by everyone) @Saint_X?

2 Likes

Probably the same thing for the igneous base making metamorphic brick instead of igneous brick

1 Like

Until all items and build paths are finalized, there will likely be many placeholder recipies like this. Y’all wanted as many updates as possible even if it was buggy or incomplete for the community to test new features, so here you go! Of course the alternative is longer time between updates while they release completed, more fleshed out versions of the game for testing… which do you prefer?

2 Likes

At the moment both possibilities (placeholder or not) are equally likely. Now EA is exactly the right time to talk about such inconsistencies because it’s much harder to change in the final game or a later state of development (nearly impossible because economy and you need to search an other material sink).

The word “placeholder” is not an universal solution for everything. If we want to be involved in development we need to show interest in the development. We can help refine the game and polish it by looking on details the devs don’t have time for.

To use another approach (Newton’s first law of motion) …

When viewed in an inertial reference frame, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force.

Why should something be changed if everyone accepts the current state ?

But i’m sure it’s really a “placeholder”. I just wanted to rais attention for the inconsistency so that they can not find the way into the final product.

Especially for @Havok40k:

Maybe you’re reading in another forum but can you tell me who wants as many updates as possible ? I can’t rememer that someone demands more updates of the client (I’m not saying that I would not like it … even with 1000th of bugs or inconsistencies [as described above, we can help polish this game by looking at such things]).

As you answer specifically in relation to me and since i’m tired to say the same things again and again let my quote you a “best-of” collection of my concerns from the last months.

Feel free to read my last topic and maybe you understand my concerns or not. I won’t discuss this with you again because we always reach a dead point.

1 Like

I don’t buy that; at least for crafting as it stands now.

Once the game releases, yes, recipes will become dangerous to change. But what we have in game now is probably not worth spending very much effort on.

• We have a good amount of time (6 months?) before the game gets to a point where it is dangerous for the devs to make drastic changes.
  • Crafting is going to be one of the most frequently used systems in the game. There will be a lot of feedback generated from its use.
  • We’re (presumably) seeing a very small slice of the recipes available. We are probably not making the best assumptions due to limited information.

Now, if, for example, we could convince @olliepurkiss to post a big chunk of the currently planned crafting recipes - that would be a worthy discussion. Or if we were to wait for some more to make their way into the game, that would also be fantastic.

Remember: even if the devs aren’t as responsive as we would like, they are reading everything. They also have a limited amount of time and effort they can spend both developing the game, and interacting with the community. It’s a small dev team.

We owe it to them to try to focus their limited attention on things they can address (in plan, or in game) at the time.

6 Likes

You are right, but i can’t see how our two statements contradict each other (that’s how i understand you) ? The sooner something is solved the less problems can it cause.

My original statement that it’s illogical was “for the protocol” only and with “now” i mean the complete EA period not “now” as “Sunday 10.4.2016 17:10”.

EDIT: I changed the wording in the corresponding text section for better understanding.

As many of you have said the crafting in the game is a complete placeholder, and doesn’t relate at all to the design as it will be.

Right this second Simon, and our new guy Marc are discussing the approach for implementing the crafting system for the final game, so things are moving forward. Here is a snapshot of the beginning of the crafting tree. Still WIP, but should give you an idea.

Image removed

5 Likes

Oooh, that’s looks like some great information in there! Cog, Glue, Nails, Ink Extract… I’m liking the look of this!

That’s good to hear, thanks :thumbsup:

How many nodes (items) will the crafting-tree contain ? This seems only like the beginning stages and i’m eager to hear how complex this will become. Is everything build on each other or are there “side-ways” where new path (without an ancestor in the prior tech-level) join into the tree ?

Here is the whole diagram (zoomed out), which includes most of the current recipes, although has some notable exeptions (wearables for example). I would guess this is 75% of the 1.0 recipes:

Bear in mind that this represents the vanilla crafting, but where the real complex comes is in the Forge where you take a vanilla object, and then by using various ingredients you add stats, effects and conditions to create something custom.

8 Likes

I looks like you plan to go the “normal”/old way of wood tools before stone tools. But it always kind of bugged me that you could make tools out of wood which could break stone.
So I’d have suggestion for this “tier” of tools. Why not go directly to stone?
But how do you make the stone tools then? Just as our ancestors would have. By hammering two rocks together. Also known as knapping. Find two rocks laying around on the floor and knap the tools you need.

(Btw this idea isn’t really mine, a MC modpack named Terrafirmacraft already did this to make MC a bit more realistic.)

3 Likes

This post is a godsend.

Interesting idea! Would (most) tools then be composed of a head and a handle?

Could definitely see that as a recipe like 4 rock → 1 axe head, etc.

Wood tools always did feel pretty pointless in minecraft - you would immediately upgrade past them, and never craft them again

2 Likes

Exactly this! And yes the basic tools would then be head and handle.
I mean technically only the pickaxe and maybe the axe would need to be made like that because only with those you could already aquire more ressources to make more complex tool if that’s what they want to go for.

2 Likes

It is nice to have a consistent set of tools at each tier - players can reason about it more easily

1 Like

Good point.
Just wanted to say what would be possible and what not so much^^

1 Like

Seems like we’d want loose stone as a block type (maybe just gravel, or replacing it), or the ability to mine stone by hand (very slowly). How did that mod do it?

1 Like

In the mod you got sticks from destroying leaves and smaller stones and (normal) sticks were lying on the ground.
You would need at least 2 stones to knapp a weapon/tool head in a sort of “minigame”. Where you had a field of squares you could make shapes out of. I think it’s a 5x5 or 6x6 I’m not sure.
If you failed to make the right shape you would loose one stone and had to do it again.

Also 4 small stones would give a stone block you could place.

edit: A thing that is also nice in TFC, is that you could find small nuggets of a certain ore on the surface just like the smaller stones and you’d know that somewhere around the place in an undefined depth there was an ore vein of that type. But that doesn’t really have much to do with this topic^^ just wanted to add it.

4 Likes