Art: Hopper Progression concept

Going off from the original concept and model of the Hopper, here are the progressions and variations they might appear in.

24 Likes

I have to be honest, when I read hopper I thought of Minecraft hoppers xD and I couldnā€™t remember ever hearing of those being implemented in Boundless.
After I clicked everything was clear^^

They look awesome. Theyā€™re bursting with creativity. An explosion of colors too.

6 Likes

Looks awesome canā€™t wait to walk into a world and see these. Iā€™d like to see the tougher variations, I love difficult worlds.

Awesome concepts.
Now I really hope that different Hoppers will not only inflict different status effects but also have distinct explosions

3 Likes

Hiya Vastar,

So this is definitely something weā€™re trying to aim to achieve and what is next in the pipeline for creature development. In essence the hopper is an unstable bomb-like creature and will have a whole array of effects upon detonation. :smile:

Visually the elemental varieties of hopper will have that particular elemental damage - ie Ice/fire/toxic/blast damage. The ā€˜exotic variationsā€™ will reflect the more surpising effects of detonation maybe like ā€˜jumble blocksā€™ā€¦this will depend on other factors tho and may appear more later on than the simple explode/detonate.

We have a few things more up our sleeves that will help this creature to become more ā€˜sandboxyā€™ but weā€™d like to keep it a surprise for now. We will try our best to make this as awesome as possible - that you can count on.

Have a great weekend, Gerry

8 Likes

Will they be a creature that require some specific way of killing them so they donā€™t explode?
Like shooting from far away, or stunning, or freezing/paralyzing.

Yes, so the idea is that there is quite a few ways that you can either trigger or manoeuvre the creature to detonate safely but we still need to develop the ai behind the idea. Iā€™ve got a full set of animations that I can adapt to what works best with the AI during implementing the functionality in the next few weeks. My secret hope(not to secret I guess now) is that you could use the creature for your own means too. More to come in the very near future tho! Iā€™ll keep youā€™all posted. :smiley:

7 Likes

I shall tame them, and name them jim, and my enemies shall know my name when I whisper ā€œaloha snackbarā€ in their ears before a tide of hoppers crests the hill.

Iā€™m really looking forwards to how the AI for all the mobs is done, itā€™s a pretty important part for how ā€˜aliveā€™ the game feels.

Another kinda side question, is there plans for mobs attacking/interacting other mobs? Like a pack of hunter creatures finds a livestock creature, would they attack it? Or creatures that follow other creatures and attack when they see a weak one.

4 Likes

Mmmmmm - not at the mo because weā€™re still doing the basics but I love that idea! Consider it noted! :wink:

9 Likes

Iā€™d like to use them as ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  (figure out what that word is yourself). Iā€™ll call the game BombBall and if you lose you have to pay in bodyparts, if you want or not.
Iā€™m taking bets on whoā€™ll survive the longest.

2 Likes

Interesting progresion, it looks more powerful and armored as it goes on. I really like the different tinting, by the way. Iā€™ll add this to the collection :grin:

looks spiky

Looks great the model!!

Do they die when detonate or can they detonate several times?
Especially ice detonations would look cool to see several times :slight_smile:
Also if you are able to ā€œtameā€ creatures in the game (what I guess is not confirmed yet?), would be nice if they donā€™t die by first sight.

:joy:
I hope you actually do this!