Could we get an Auction house already...please? :)

Tried, not divisive enough to stay on the front 10 pages.

1 Like

Fully support the idea of an AH in Boundless but would want to make sure it is implemented in such a way that player-owned shops aren’t obliterated. I think one way to accomplish this to actually make an in-game AH be nothing more than an automated listing board for the universe’s shop stands. You could then either (at minimum) get a location token to the shop stand in question or (at maximum) have the opportunity to open a one-way portal directly to the shop stand in question to purchase from the stand.

3 Likes

7 Likes

stunned

2 Likes

While I concede to the fact that having an AH would reduce the time spent trying to find items, I do not believe it will add any new meaningful layers on top of the games mechanics, if anything it will most likely simplify it down to what is expected in most other MMOs, which is

Constant Unrelenting Undercutting by no meaningful amount, And Bots that will automate the process of undercutting, and snatching up other peoples mistakes.

While I am not against an AH, I do not really support the idea either.

2 Likes

O.o there are players who game ff???

1 Like

While i agree About a possible bot Problem, i stand with the new layer, which is working the AH.
Botscan be reported and ist the game GMs Job to get rid of them. Much like gettingrid of xray Vision using People…sorry, not the Topic here i know. But fits in the same casket of we cannot Prevent stuff like that happeneing, Devs can.
One of my friends, while we played different MMOs, was an AH Player. He logged in for an hour or 3 just to buy and sell.
Does this reinforce the “No AH because undercutting” crowd? For sure.
But at the same time, it allows Players like him to Play the game he Plays like he wants and spend the time he has like he wants.
And Arent choices how to game ,what we all want in the game of our choice?

3 Likes

Other then it most likely would not be acted on, Even in WoW there are degrees of automation that are either undetectable or even legal, as some addons have a function to Snatch up mistakes automatically. Many WoW marketing addons aim to Automate the marketing process as far as legally possible by the API.

Reporting this would be quite hard, because a player doses’t have the tools to determine if someone is just AFK at the AH Machine or is actively manipulating it, and if the player was able to figure out if that player was actively manipulating it, then who is to say that the person is not manually doing so vs it being automatic.

Then if you take a look at the devs stance of the various mods that they allow that seem to read memory and network packets, I think it is pretty safe to say that, a marketing bot/tool, will likely go unpunished.

And that is a perfectly Valid way to play a game, It is also hands down by far the most profitable non-underhanded way to make the most money in most games, by playing the market.

The main reason why I mention this, as i can envision a modest amount of people complaining about Undercutting and Market PvP that slows down how fast they sell items by quite an amount, and then insisiting the devs find some way to make it „Fair“.

However on a personal level, I do not care, I done such myself in WoW and EVE Online, but I can see how it can be quite annoying to people who do not want to update their sell orders every 5mins or so

And it is for that reason I am neither for or against having an AH, There are also good and bad things for each side of the case, and I am unsure which is better.

1 Like

Actually from comments I’ve seen here an there from people that have phone calls from the devs some of those mods that have been “allowed” might not always be that way.

Think it comes down to what’s a bigger priority at the moment. Getting more content to the game to get more people/keep people or make changes to the code to stop some of the mods.

Would the price wars make items sell slower if you don’t update them actively? Yes. Would you sell them eventually even without updating, if your prices are average? Most probably yes. Would items sell faster than with the current system? On average I’d suspect yes, some shops that have above average pricing would see a drop in sales for sure, but is that a bad thing? With transparent pricing info the most important thing in your shop is no longer the location, but your prices. More fair imo, and better than what we currently have.

Can we talk about the middle ground between a full blown MMO AH with instant delivery and boundless’ “I guess I’ll go check a few hundred stores and see if I’m lucky and any of them are selling what I want for a reasonable price”? If you still had to walk to the shop to get your items, botting the “Price House” wouldn’t be so viable, shopkeeper gets FF, buyer would see the build etc.

You can still go explore the shops and not use the PH if you so choose. The OP doesn’t mention instant delivery, why is that an assumption in most of the posts against this?

3 Likes

But, the feature we want to see is less time lost obtaining an item. I don’t see how putting in more work is going to help me achieve that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ebay has forced increments, this could also be used for selling. Like, if the current price is 4000, either you can add it for 4000 or at least 15% less (3400). These are solved problems.

2 Likes

The more reasons to visit a build the better, and shops are a big part of that.
An in-game search function to find where to buy stuff at the cheapest prices would be a great addition.

My ideal scenario would be that the game would automatically (or players could designate an area) labal a beacon within a build with 5 or more shop stands (for example) as a shop and then you could open a world map and see these shops, and be able to double click on them and see what is for sale etc (tabbed format so not overwhelming if a lot of goods for sale)

I guess my points were not understood because an increment situation like this doesn’t solve the problem I was trying to communicate. It has to deal with the mindset and game play this system creates more than whether the price changes are 1, 2, 5, 10.

Not to mention that seeing prices doesn’t solve the economy problem.

I shared a proposal which I thought was a half-decent compromise but I guess maybe not since it didn’t seem to get much response.

I figured this idea would help an economy, which is all over the place, get to a more nominal state while not killing exploration and discovery. I also felt it preserved the hubs and portals already in existence by not giving out long range warping or just instant access to anyone’s shop on any world.

1 Like

I think your center is illuminaghty, of all the shopping centers, it is the most complete and cheapest of all

1 Like

cuz when you talk about a MMO AH system the only way its ever been done is the you look for the thing you want hit buy now button then see that you got mail then go to a mail box and pick it up. i think whats happening is people are assuming that we are just going to copy paste that system and be done

we dont know that tho and there is no real way of knowing what effect a AH would have on the economy either all we know is that alot of people are chooseing to not participate in it cuz there is just to much put on the playerbase to make it work i would also go has far has to say that the economy is not even a game mechanic cuz the game its self des varly little to handle it. the game provides the coins and the shop stands(wich to be honest is only one step up form hand tradeing) and thats it its our job to setup the stands setup some way for people to know that our shop even exist’s and someway for people to get to them form any of the currently active worlds

tbh its the game dev equivalent of handing the player base a mad libs:economy edition book and hoping they work it out themselves and its been proven now that does not work.

3 Likes

Well that sounds like a sandbox… a few things in place and allow people to do whatever with it.

Overall I do agree that the “economy” isn’t really part of the game yet. There are only a few things in place and most of everything else is just what people do with it. Because of that, I feel people are just throwing suggestions out there on all sides of the fence trying to make the “economy” better when we don’t even really have a good grasp on what the problem is.

I am just the type of person that is skeptical of a lot of suggestions until I can see a clear problem statement. Then I feel you have the context and can really problem solve… until then it is just throwing darts at a board hoping something will stick.

Today i spend, from Posting on an out of game board towards the actual aquirement of the item i needed, more then 7 Hours. Seven. Hours.
Sure i could have run around trough landscapes i have no real interest in, at this Moment in time. Or very nice builds which again i have no interest in this Moment in time.
Or could have used “Yellow Pages” which could have lead me to abandoned shops or trough Labyrinths of shop stands.
Or i could have used an AH 1.0, which gives me a token with coords for said items, which Arent there when i arrive.
Or i could have used the AH, 2.0. Put out my buy order to a listed-as-in-stock item and get it in 3 minutes, enabling me to continue what i actually planned to do.

What choice would YOU prefer?

2 Likes

Sounds like you needed the contract system… where you could have put an order up for what you wanted and a price and had it delivered.

1 Like