Death toll

I guess my previous statement was too broad and I didn’t mean it as it sounded. What I mean to say is this:

Dying should give your equipment durability damage no matter where/how you die. Similarly, I think it makes sense to drop everything that you have on you (or a % of that) that isn’t equipped or in some sort of special slot no matter where/how you die.

If I take a bunch of mats and gold into a PVP zone, there shouldn’t be any magical force protecting that inventory space just because I’m in a PVP zone and the same goes for PVE in my opinion.

EDIT: formatting

2 Likes

The thing about that its… Durability (as i hope :D) will be comsumed with each use of the tool/armor/weapon, and the players can repair it if they have the crafting skill for that.

Well that will make npc not needed, and the crafters will always have some work to do :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree that Durability damage should be added as you use a tool, but on armor and weapons you wouldn’t have durability damage built up unless you are fighting something anyway (assuming you aren’t hacking away at a stone block with your sword and you aren’t falling from really high places).

Also, I agree that NPC’s aren’t technically needed because this is a crafting game and it’s likely that people will be able to repair their own gear/tools. The only reason I even mentioned NPC’s in the first place was because they also are an easy way to solve the gold sink issue which (unless I’m mistaken of course) hasn’t been addressed yet.

I think it’s possible that there could be a system in which you could either pay an NPC to repair your tools for you, or you could repair them yourself. In either case however, durability damage is enough of an inconvenience to the player who dies that they won’t want to run around with no fear of death while at the same time allowing players to keep the gear that they have worked so hard to get.

1 Like

The gold sink has be discussed a long time now. Here and in the old forum. Use the search. (I can’t link atm, I’m on my phone^^)

About the toll. I still think PvP should be an all or nothing deal. But Ben said we should focus on other topics because they would make it fair and I believe him.

For PvE armor damage and loss of a percentage (0-100%) of your inventory should be enough.

I was aware of the “Gold Sink” thread, but I was unaware of any official information about gold sinks and how they might be implemented. I admit I have not done a large amount of searching on this subject, but I did snoop around a bit in the past and didn’t see anything official that I can recall.

It is very unlikely we would have it so you drop equipped gear and quickbar when you die. It is also very unlikely you’d lose the contents of your pouch (currency, player tokens, gems) when you die. It’s very likely you will drop the contents of your inventory when you die. Unlike most games, this isn’t everything you own because we’re categorising items (in the pouch etc).

So there’s a big penalty for the stuff you’ve acquired since you last left your base, no penalty on the stuff you’re using.

4 Likes

Well that was unexpected and in a way it was not^^

Could you elaborate on why these things are unlikely or likely?

Can i sugges someting about the inventory?? (I will do anyways XD)
A weapon slot/slots i a vay like: O-> BOX
1: O-O
2: O-O
3: O-O

And when you press a button (r or f are the common for this) you change to your combat items, instead of having it in the quickbar, also it will make dual wheild and shield an option :smiley: and in combat mode you will only use the combat ítems…

It jsut that a seggestion for the equiped gear/quickbar

he already said that you wouldnt drop things from your pouch such as gems and playertokens, kinda sad you dont drop currency though :confused:

I understand the decision to not let playertokens being dropable but the rest could need some “dev viewpoint”

what do you mean with dev viewpoint?

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/death-toll/227/138?u=b00n
I would guess based on past comments and suggestions from the Devs that at this time they have made a pretty firm decision that they do not want currencies to be dropped. It also seems as if PvP isn’t really a gameplay priority for them, hence another reason they wouldn’t want currencies to drop as NPC mobs wouldn’t want your currency.
Im not sure what more of a viewpoint you would want?
As far as the rest of equipment it would be similar to other MMOs.
think of all the MMO’s that when you get ganked you drop all equipped items and weapons…
Not any off the top of my head.

I understand everything you say in a PvE context but it sounds like that will be the overall system. That’s what I don’t understand.

Mortal online.

which was absolutely horrible to deal with.

Is there somewhere a Dev has stated there will be 2 different systems?

Nope and that is what might seem confusing, kinda sad with not dropping gold, but eh i guess.

gold isnt even implemented in the game yet, but its sad you dont drop it on death?

This is the same as claiming something is OP. the THEORY of it may be that way, but nothing is balanced on paper.

no but they didn’t deny it so the thinking behind one system would be equally interesting.

Well that’s entirely dependent on having a diamond pickaxe to begin with. If you’ve got to go through and recraft up the tiers it takes a large amount of time. Also a fair amount of luck to find diamonds quickly. but yeah It’s less than that if you’ve got everything in place and a good mine/cave system.