Different beacon industry/zone types

I’m sure I’ve suggested this before, but I cannot find it on the forum.

Would it be possible to have more types of beacons, than a general one? For example:

1. Residential Only Zone: When someone places this beacon, they can toggle on/off buffers for the entire zone(all connected beacons) & the ability to prevent building/placing blocks on a connected beacon with less than (ie +/-) 9 plots. Their zone won’t effect current nearby beacons or settlements, but anyone that wishes to join/connect to them, will be able to join their Residential Zone. Maybe a brown little house icon marks this zone on the atlas/navigation bar. New players would know they could locate a residential zone to build their home.

2. Commerce Only Zone: When someone places this beacon, they select the minimum/maximum size of newly connected beacon/plots (ie: at least 1x2, maximum 3x3). They would also select the maximum # of beacons a character can connect. They can toggle on/off shop stand visibility & buffers for the entire zone. Maybe a green $ marks it on the atlas/navigation bar.

3. Others - Industrial Zone, Event/Contest Zone, Education Zone, etc.

If not, maybe at least add more permissions to beacons - the ability to set requirements for any new beacons/plots that connect to yours (you can’t effect existing beacons/plots/settlements). Things like: the ability to toggle on/off buffers for all so they are the same, min/max # of plots, min/max # of beacons per character, etc. Instead of odd guild/friends footfall rules & settlement notices for each home/shop, the zone would be one entity. People would still name their beacons, but they would receive the same amount of coin from the Zone (I think this would be really helpful to residential/building communities).
Maybe this is all redundant, but I think it could be quite useful - especially as a deterrent against griefing.

10 Likes

I think there needs to be some commerce-related guild buffs. Like, if Gyosha Mall guild had guild buffs related to shopping, etc… umm, like Tax Reduction…

I know that’s not what you were talking about, but I was thinking about that just now

3 Likes

Zone buffs and weather would be fun :+1:
I did have guild buffs for awhile, but people abuse guild permissions and the buffs were too expensive with only a few people contributing coin.

4 Likes

@majorvex So, does a city planner determine what kind of beacon a zone allows? Like, I put down residential zone plots that reserve that space only for other players to plot residential beacons?

3 Likes

Yes, the originating/founding beacon would determine the type of zone they want to be/create. Anyone that connects to their beacon after that, would be part of that zone. You could reserve plots in the same manner that people do now, if you’d like to.

3 Likes

more beacon-wide options would be great…
something I (and others probably) suggested in the past were beacon skill pages, and other specific things like turn grapple use, consumables, glow epic on/off - for dungeons and contests

4 Likes

Another thing I’d like would be a beacon a bit like the world control on sovereigns which could show you who has recently visited your beacons on the regular planets.

3 Likes

That would revolutionize city planning, I approve! The biggest issue I see arising is when two original settlements collide. Would this work better as an extension of guild plots, where cooperation between players is inherently expected?

2 Likes

THIS is my biggest concern with Boundless right now haha! got a guild big enough that when Beth and I forget/can’t afford the buffs we get inundated with complaints from people about it haha!

4 Likes

Two zones could reside happily next to each other, since one doesn’t effect the other. They are their own entities. When you connect to a specific zone, you are agreeing to cooperate with that zone’s rules.

General beacons, guilds, settlements, etc would still exist and operate as they do. Perhaps a zone layer/permissions could be added to guilds :thinking:

3 Likes

I would love something like the weather quirks in a beacon. Like a winter decoration build with the snow quirk where it always snows in the beacon zone. Or a forest/jungle setting where it rains.
I’d love to build an old west town that has sandstorms. :smiley:

4 Likes

You need to tell those people who complain that they need to donate to help offset the cost of those buffs. Let them know that they’re actually quite expensive.
Honestly for me, I don’t need the buffs. But they’re nice to have and I appreciate them. If they suddenly stopped, I’m not going to throw a b*tch fit over it.

1 Like

Maybe a settings option of max plot height based on planets plot height so you dont get random towers or say you want other zones to be visible in the bg?

1 Like