Explaining the Exchange

Hey Everyone

We’ve just put Testing Release 194 of Boundless live, which includes the Exchange. We thought we should dive into some details, since it’s a pretty significant change.

Why add the Exchange?

We’ve previously discussed the Exchange in this thread, which provides a thorough and detailed explanation of the philosophy behind this mechanic. To recap - one of our main objectives with Boundless has always been to let everyone play their own way. This should also include rewards, so we wanted to give players a choice of what they earn in the game. Some players might want more plots for building, but other players might want to customise the look of their character. The system should offer an option for everyone.

We’ve also been up-front about the need to maintain a subscription-free MMO. As we’re not a free-to-play game, the game doesn’t need to be overly aggressive with it. We are however able to offer some shiny optional extras which can be picked up for Cubits. At launch, Cubits will also be purchasable with real-world money. We are fully serious about not letting this get in the way of the game, and it bears repeating that nothing purchasable with Cubits provides a competitive advantage between players.

How does it work?

Now that we’ve talked about the ‘why’, let’s tackle the ‘how’. Thanks to all your feedback, we believe we’ve found an enjoyable way to do this which respects the Boundless experience. So here’s the plan.

We’re introducing a new interface, known as the Exchange. Here, you’ll be able to trade Cubits - an in-game unit of currency earned through gameplay - for various extras. You’ll be able to afford everything you want by simply playing, but if you wish, the option will be there to buy Cubits with real-world money.

The Exchange is a single location for collecting your rewards for completing objectives or feats, and for leveling your character. Your rewards will mainly be given in Cubits, which can then be spent on plots or aesthetic character customisation such as wearables and new body paints. The Exchange also includes a range of utilities for resetting your character’s appearance, name, and skill sets.

What can I get from the Exchange?

Currently planned items you will be able to get with Cubits fall into three broad categories, though more will follow in future;

Plots - this is the method of reserving space for your builds in Boundless. While this is a gameplay item, everyone will still need to gather materials, craft tools, chisel blocks, and build in order to generate prestige. Plots themselves don’t give you prestige - that comes from what you build within them, so creativity and hard work will determine who gains the most prestige.

Cosmetic Items - including headgear, body paints and more after launch. Wearables can’t be traded in game and will exist in a separate inventory. These will allow you to shape your avatar in your own way, so you can really express yourself in Boundless.

Skill respecs or character edits - You will be able to respec your character for Cubits, as well as rename or redesign them.

In this release the real-world purchase of Cubits is not enabled, and won’t be until after the new universe is live. The only items purchasable with Cubits right now are plots and some character edits. Wearables are currently in development and will be added later. Character edits available in this release are;

• Appearance changes
  • Full Skill Reset
  • Skill Cleanse Points - respec skill points without a full reset
  • Character Slots - add an extra character to your account
  • Skill Sets - new skill trees applied to the same character e.g Max out combat, then go after exploration skills. You can then switch between these on the fly.

TLDR version of this whole post

• Rewards for Objectives and Feats are now collected in the Exchange.
  • Leveling rewards will now be given as Cubits.
  • These are taken to the Exchange, where a range of cosmetic extras can be obtained with Cubits.
  • The Exchange also allows you to exchange Cubits for character customisations, plots, and other rewards.
  • At launch, Cubits will also be purchasable with real-world money, but this is totally optional.

We believe we’ve come up with a solution which respects the game and the community, and hope you enjoy some of the new in-game rewards. Of course, if there’s anything we’ve not covered here, feel free to ask below and we’ll do our best to answer.

Otherwise, see you in the game!

27 Likes

Awesome, sounds good. I’m a little concerned about players buying cubits for real money from the outset and buying up huge swathes of land before others can get a look in, but will reserve judgement until I can give it a try tonight!

10 Likes

Well, what about backer tiers?

2 Likes

Sounds Awesome ^^ can’t wait to have a look!

Will this affect current, “free” skill resets in-game? It’d be a shame if we were limited resets by levelling or cash.

Thanks for the info!

I read this wrong and got all kinds of excited.

Edit: Also - any idea of these two numbers yet?

Cubits earned per level (does it scale with 10-20, 20-30, etc?)
Cubit cost for skill reset / plot(s)

Thanks!

1 Like
         !well I know what I'm doing after work!

I echo @Stretchious 's concern. this could be particularly damaging on starter worlds. the solution is clear though. when a certant percent of plots are taken up on a starter world a new starter world should be created and the old one should no longer be an option to start at until the used plots return to a cirtant level.
it would be cool if when starting a new charicter you had the option to start on a high, medium, or low population planet. … . . but i digress.

4 Likes

I simply love it cant say anything more xD it is so satisfying to open them

1 Like

I found this:

I will try it out, as soon as i get on the test server.

2 Likes

SNAP! The game already does this. It’s part of the new universe structure.

SNAP! This is on the todo list but likely not in 1.0, as we decided starting “near” a friend was more important todo first.

16 Likes

What about selling plots for goods ingame? I mean I could buy land and become a landlord and then rent / sell those plots?

2 Likes

You should call it, “The Grand Exchange”. :^)

2 Likes

Run Ecape xD hehehe

1 Like

How great is the impact of a new world on your servers, currently? How many worlds are feasible to have at once? I think it would be incredible to just have this entire universe of so many different planets, but is that going to be difficult to host? In a perfect Boundless, how many worlds would you want us to have?

Sorry, lots of questions. I’m buzzing with excitement. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wonder what the conversion rate of rl money to cubits will be.
If it’s 1 cent = 1 cubit. Then boy plots will be expensive.

1 Like

Not if its South African cents :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Touché.

I’m starting a new character on testing and will report the scaling once i made a few levels.

Starting a new character rewards 60 cubits (equals 2 plots, 1 plot = 30 cubits).

Skill reset is 800 cubits.

Cubits are bound to characters, not to accounts.

Edit:
Will enter my cubit findings in this totally not confusing spreadsheet here:

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks! Stupid question: does it only open up on getting a level or can I open it on already levelled characters?

You can open it any time. Its a new option in the Tab-Menu.

Much obliged! :slight_smile: