Game Breakers V4

In a continuing effort to make this game a better place for everyone involved, I have been publishing several articles relating to issues with the gameplay that would make the average player frustrated and sometimes malcontent. These articles are entitled Game Breakers and can be found at these links :

V1 :: V2 :: V3

I have since published several other articles on these forums detailing different aspects of the game such as lore and other topics related to the general appreciation of the game world, though those are not within the scope of this topic.

To begin this post, I will note that most of of my related issues are still in the game, just under different circumstances and in different permutations. So, let’s summarize. Gravel has a purpose. Thank god. Not the intended purpose, as I saw, but at least it has a place at the table. The changes to existing recipes is interesting, and sometimes fails, with the example of brick, but, for the most part, it succeeds. Not going to get into actual specifics into that arguement just yet, but let’s give it a “Meh +”, rather than a “Meh -”. New planets are awesome, but I have some qualms about them in general, and will make mention of them shortly. Portal hubs still create a claustrophobic outlook as they get cluttered with hundreds of portals in small spaces. Lower tier planet farming for specific colors and materials still is a net loss in time and resources. And, probably the most ridiculous addition in 1.0, and slightly the pre-launch, the homogenization of the gear.

So, now, the biggest issue that I have revolves around our endgame content. I have no issue with grinding, and building things that are purely decoration, but there’s a limit to my wafer thin display. The table and chair art assets are, by themselves, great. But there’s nothing to them. You can’t USE them, and they have no functional purpose. Barring the decorative aspect, there’s nothing to them. It would be cool if there were furniture that provided some kind of buff, yeah, but it’s more overwhelmingly frustrating that I can’t even SIT in the chair. The one chair. The one simple wooden chair. No stone, fancy, gleam, metal, foliage, fluffy, leather, or otherwise different chairs. There’s one. Just one. This coupled with the bomb-mining nerf adds to the complaint that people are just getting ignored by the development team. So, how does this pertain to end game? Well, what do you do after you craft all your work benches and power coils? Make more tools to gather more resources so you can build more stuff. There’s no Titans as of yet, and adding more tiers of planets won’t do any good as far as making the endgame more exciting. It would just be more grinding to get more (new) resources to make more tools to gather more stuff to build more stuff. Despite what people think, this is a building game at it’s core, and making unique builds, houses, and things creates free form gameplay without end. But, there’s nothing to it. It stands up proudly like a wilted leaf in a monsoon.

Next issue on the docket is one that is still held in high contention : Pay to Win. Now, I’ve heard arguments from both sides, and both have merit, but the slider of “Is or Isn’t” lands firmly on the “Is” side. Plots = Power. Simply stated. With limited real estate, the more plots you got => the more prestige => more footfall => more coin => more impact on the economy. In a game that is a shopping and inventory simulator, there is an intrinsic value to the currency of the game. More coin equates to less hours grinding to get your very own table and chair. I won’t get into the semantics of what it is to “win” in a game such as this, but the bottom line is : if you can buy it, whatever it is, then you win. And that is the center of the argument. Players want to be rewarded for their efforts in the game world, not their efforts in the real world. Having loose finances allows early backers to buy buffs to their earnings in the game world, which are supposed to be separate. It’s literally like the division of church and state. One is one thing, and should stay there, the other is another and should stay there. They are mutually exclusive… or should be.

With that, I’m going to be drafting a second part of this post, but I will leave this here, for now.

4 Likes

I heartily disagree with your observations.

I believe that of all the recipe changes the changes to brick is one of the best.

For your other points I think they have been discussed to death elsewhere so I’ll just leave it at “I disagree”.

10 Likes

I respect your opinion.

2 Likes

I think you’re being rather harsh on the game itself. It’s still in development as there is still content to be released. You can’t complain that furniture doesn’t have a billion different designs immediately on it’s first release. I’d love for furniture to have stats but I understand that they first have to put in the item to see how it will do before throwing in some complicated item w/ stats and limitations etc. Be patient.

This game is not pay to win. Sorry my guy, but you’re wrong. If plots = power then cubits = power. Cubits are free. You can gain them on every character and objectives and feats can be completed on each character… For free. I have two characters, one level 31, the other is 20 something. Between them I easily have 154 plots. I haven’t spend a dime on this game. If you were to get all 10 char slots to lvl 25 or so, you’d have about 770 plots (a bit less since you’d have to spend cubits on getting the additional characters). All free. Not one real life monies spent. Will it take time? Yes of course, but that’s what happens when you work hard to get stuff. The more plots you have does not directly equal more prestige. I can go take all 154 of my plots and put them by a hub and probably make very minimal monies off of it. Why? Because empty / undeveloped plots get you dirt for money. You’d have to put in work to get a decent amount of prestige to gain money. There are people with small shops who I’m sure are pulling in a great deal more money than I am simply because they have a decently designed shop, w/ a portal to a hub or two, and they’re making sure it’s stocked w/ good prices to keep people coming. While more money does impact the economy, you can’t expect to get by on this game simply buying things from people all the time and never selling. No one makes money from stock for just buying all the time. They have to sell, they have to trade, they have to do SOMETHING for their income.

Anyone would want to be rewarded for their in game achievements and real world achievements. I work all day, in reality, I don’t have time to grind countless hours like other people who either don’t work, are retired, only work part time, whatever it may be. So, if I want to take my hard earned cash and spend it to buy cubits which I can’t get from doing game things because I don’t have the time, then I should be able to do so without you judging or being mad that I’ve managed to get ahead of you in plots or whatever. Luckily for me, I work at home so I do have the luxury of playing at least a little to mine or whatever while working. Most people can’t do that with their job. I’ve yet to spend a single penny on this game for progression and while I’m not pulling in hundreds of thousands of coin from footfall, my shop is doing well and I’m proud. I spent days building, collecting, selling, trading for materials to make it happen.

Comparing this to church and state is inaccurate. More coin for anyone = less grinding to get anything. More working = cash to spend on things like games, clothes, food, etc. which essentially = less grinding in a game, should you choose to use your money to do that. How is that any different? You can play to win as equally as you can pay to win. Probably easier to play since you gain items as you go when mining, exploring, hunting, etc. When you pay to get plots you’re not getting those items until you go find a place to put those plots down. You’d still have to go and gain COIN to purchase materials from someone or you’d have to grind it out.

I think being salty about someone’s ability to pay a bit extra to support this game early on is ridiculous. This game was released, unofficially, in 2014. I’m not sure how long people had to become an early backer, but I’m assuming it was 1-3 years from the time it was announced. Assuming you knew before the official release a few weeks ago, you had 1-4 years to save up (I’m assuming) $60 to be an early access player yourself. If you couldn’t manage to do that then that’s on you and you can’t blame anyone for that. I know not everyone can afford to spend hundreds on a game, but $60 over a period that long is doable. I didn’t know about the game back then so I didn’t have the advantage to support it and maybe I wouldn’t have as I usually don’t back games before they’re fully released, but I’m also not mad about others have early access.

The only thing that’s breaking the game is the fact that people don’t want to work to get ahead and it’s tiresome to hear.

3 Likes

Wow. Firstly, you took this to a wholly personal level. I would not attack you or call you “salty” about anything. Especially not something as simple as your opinion. Secondly, I could refute many of your claims about your method of thinking, but I value all opinions and appreciate you taking the time to write this lengthy and thought out post. So, thank you for your input. I hope that it spurs some interesting conversations as to how people perceive and interpret both of our standpoints.

1 Like

Actually, I didn’t take it personally at all. I even stated I haven’t spent a dime and I’m not an early access player. I can’t take anything you’ve said on either of those things personally as they don’t apply to me. I’m not personally attacking you. I meant to mention that earlier but I forgot lol. I was using “you” as a generalization for those that -are- being salty and complaining, which seems like everyone recently. Everyone is rightfully entitled to their opinion but many people just sit there attacking the “elite” early access players and it’s unfair and rude. But I do think that your comments towards those who spend money on the game are rather incorrect. There is no “buff” for buying cubits. There is no rule saying cubits can only be used on plots. There is just a lack of items to actually use cubits on at this early point in the game so naturally, plots are the only thing that makes sense to buy. Head decoration items are overly priced and perhaps the shop was prematurely implemented. I forgot to mention that while you’d love to separate the use of irl money from the game, you simply can’t and shouldn’t. Without money the game creators and developers cannot keep the game running appropriately. They need a way to support paying for servers and whatever else. It seems like a small company that personally works hard to keep us happy. They respond to almost every post about bugs and keep us updated almost within reason. Why would we want to take monetary support away from them? Would you rather pay a monthly fee for the game? I wouldn’t. Lack of monetary support would hurt the game more than help it.

Again, I wasn’t trying to make you feel attacked or anything so I do apologize if it came off that way. I think most of what I said was fact or could be proven or had some sort of evidence to support it but I would like to hear your refutes of my claims. Conversations can’t happen if someone isn’t willing to talk.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry, but I simply can’t let this go Chivlet: Where have i seen your name/base? Do you have a “small” place in a mountain on Cardess?
If not, may i ask where you’re situated? And if it is you on Cardess, hot DAMN thats a lot of coils! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s me. I’m the capital currently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool! Really awesome place you have, though i did have some massive issues getting out of it rofl.

1 Like

Well, it’s not ready for public access just yet.

1 Like

Tell that to the portal leading there straight from the entrance area :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah damn chivlet, i want to disagree with you so badly on this one… but you raise great points, you keep it impersonal and generalised (mostly) and you put forward opinions without discounting the opposite view. Best post I’ve disagreed with in a long while (+1 for that)

I have to differ if not disagree with your plots= win approach. My main reason for this is because i see P2W as “the ability to gain with irl coin what can’t be gained in-game” - loosely.

Up to plot max on a char, buying gets you there sooner but doesnt give you what others cant get with added time (for the sake of this argument I’m going the time~money route).
However, buying will eventually give you more plots (=more opportunity {=less grind [=better efficiency]}) so thats why i differ that buying plots is “firmly” P2W; but i can’t completely disagree.

Thing is, i dont see myself ever being in the position where i have too few plots FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH THE GAME simply using reward cubits, so for my specific case i dont feel people are beating me by using cash (heck, lower level peeps who are <200h in are “beating” me with what they’ve achieved so far :yum:

3 Likes