Goo Farm Tips Please

How does the 90% setup work?

Oh never mind, you guys said that is not a good one

1 Like

I think this design is slightly problematic. If you ever want to swap out colors, you need to go through extra steps to make sure the lava doesn’t flow out. Precise chizeling with square or bevel chisels will keep the “walkable” aspect without sacrificing ease of change:

3 Likes

Bonus “max sustain” pic. It’s the most efficient way I’ve been able to think of:

2 Likes

The 2 block wide setup is more space efficient but I choose to use the 3 wide with 2 blocks of lava either side for the same reason as you, my farm has been slowly growing to the size it is now as I have acquired more gleam but I wanted to lay out my lava channels in advance and add the gleam as I got it

I was mostly referring to the lava part, not the 2x vs 3x. TIL.

Experimentation and recording your results is basically is the best option I’m afraid. The maths/science/algorithms used I can follow well enough to use them but unfortunately I am not smart enough to be able to explain it I am sorry.

Maybe some of these links will help you though.

A few friends and I were recording our results in this spreadsheet… however there was a bug in the mutation system that was patched recently so a lot of these results are now incorrect I’m afraid…but ill share anyway as this may also give you some direction.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d_Z8BE2o-rjl2YCQEUx_FWYsgFIrzDcuxpw3D1dbOvw/edit?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

What does max sustain mean? and are you growing on the gleam?

You’re optimizing for seed, not pigment. So the ratio for that specific setup is 65% crop / 90% seed. You’re specifically trying to mutate to a specific color and keep the seed after it drops.

1 Like

In fact, use this link to demystify all aspects of the effects you can have on crops in boundless. It really helps to understand the “why” people do what they do. https://boundless.mayumi.fi/farming/

Cant get my head round it this time of night so will look in the morning…

Thanks this is great :slight_smile:

Is it not better to use sponge for pigment looking at that link, or does it end up being more efficient getting some seed from the rock setup?

I’m sure there’s some math that can prove out what I’m about to say, but I’ve made a small program and plugged in data points of common scenarios with crop/seed yield, and run simulations several hundred times.

Almost uniformly the tradeoff is always an inverse of seed yield vs seed iterations.

As in, it might take ~2 iterations on sponge to get you 8 pigment, or ~12 iterations to get 20 pigment per seed. (those numbers are probably off by quite a bit, but you get the idea)

1 Like

If you have goo kernels that are rare (ie: shadow blue), you’ll want to get as many uses out of them as possible. If you plant them on sponge, you have pretty much zero chance to get the kernel back. You’ll only get a pigment from it.

If you plant it on rock, you have a decent (80%) chance to get the kernel back, and you will get pigments.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @Sujimichi88 has a spreadsheet calculating the iterative results and he might be kind enough to share the numbers. I have one on my PC at home but I cant remember the numbers off the top of my head.

Makes sense to me, is this why you don’t put growth by your gleam so you also may get pigment?

Somehow missed this before, thanks for the link.

1 Like

Yeah, bottom line is that if you go for maximized pigment return, technically it is better to use a growth setup. The small increase on seed return outweighs the severely diminished pigment return per harvest.

HOWEVER, using growth you end up having to do MANY more harvests to get to this slightly increased pigment return. The immense amount of extra time you’d spend on harvesting is just not worth it for a small increase in pigments.

220/80 for goo of the right color and 215/75 for mutating to a color are the most time-efficient ways of doing it.

Edit: just realized you folks were talking about sponge, not growth, will tweak my numbers and get back, but pretty sure sponge is never worth it.

3 Likes

Sponge is pretty garbo, ngl

Thanks that has cleared it up for me, going to go for gleam and rock with lava, Just have to get some more rock colours…

1 Like