Goo Farm Tips Please

Peek at one of the halls in my new goo farm which its taking its sweet time to complete :blush:

Also @Samski you can always buy spray paintsā€¦ they usually go around 25c to 35c each. That is something I will be purchasing down the road once I know what I need to fill in the gaps.

3 Likes

Good point, forgot you can spray rockā€¦ looking very sleek.

1 Like

You can get there from TNT megahub. Sorry I cant give you more precise directions but Iā€™m at work today.

1 Like

You donā€™t need every colour rock. Planting goo on any colour rock has the same chance of mutating. Approx 80% will not mutate on rock.

As wake said, no need for every colour gleam. You can mutate to nearly every colour in game using only permanent and exo gleam, just need to experiment a bit.

You can check out my goo farm (3 levels so far) at Sydney on Lasaina. Downstairs in the paint shop near the yellow paints is a cave entrance to my goo farm, you can see how I use a few main gleam colours to create a smorgasbord of colours.

Good luck with it, itā€™s a fun activity but rather time consuming on a large scale!

1 Like

Do you put any growth in there for more seed?, still working out how Goo worksā€¦

Use gleam for the highest mutation % (raw = highest %, other types of gleam are faster but lower %)

Rock + lava = most even % for pigment & seed drops

Sponge = highest % of pigment drops, 0 seed drops

Lots of info and pics of set-ups here:

1 Like

I do not use growth in this setupā€¦ If I were to use growth and gleam in a checkered pattern it would only get goo with no pigment. If you go that route then you would have to make a farm with sponge to get pigment.

Checkered pattern with growth and gleam.

Then the sponge part and only pic I have it the top partā€¦

Growth will only get you pigment with the rare chance a goo kernal may drop.

1 Like

Thanks for that, i think ill stick with rock and gleam thenā€¦

I would recommend the rock and gleam setup because you get goo and pigment from both so its a win win :slight_smile:

canā€™t remember which one is which but numbers will be like 80% seed and 220% crop and I think 75% or 85% seed and 215% cropā€¦ its been a while buts its around those numbers

1 Like

Yep those are the numbers. The 75%/215% on gleam while mutating. Then the 80%/220% on rock.

@Samski I have played around a little with using growth to maximize seed returns on gleam at 90% I think it isā€¦ or maybe 85% to try and get as many of my mutated seeds to survive as possible but i found that the list of pigments and the added complexity to the farm was more of a hindrance than it was worth.

So yeah rock/gleam with lava channels down the side is, in my opinion, the best way to go about it.

The growth setup is 90%

1 Like

So realising its best not to use all the colours, but how do i learn what colours are useful? anywhere you can point me?

How does the 90% setup work?

Oh never mind, you guys said that is not a good one

1 Like

I think this design is slightly problematic. If you ever want to swap out colors, you need to go through extra steps to make sure the lava doesnā€™t flow out. Precise chizeling with square or bevel chisels will keep the ā€œwalkableā€ aspect without sacrificing ease of change:

3 Likes

Bonus ā€œmax sustainā€ pic. Itā€™s the most efficient way Iā€™ve been able to think of:

2 Likes

The 2 block wide setup is more space efficient but I choose to use the 3 wide with 2 blocks of lava either side for the same reason as you, my farm has been slowly growing to the size it is now as I have acquired more gleam but I wanted to lay out my lava channels in advance and add the gleam as I got it

I was mostly referring to the lava part, not the 2x vs 3x. TIL.

Experimentation and recording your results is basically is the best option Iā€™m afraid. The maths/science/algorithms used I can follow well enough to use them but unfortunately I am not smart enough to be able to explain it I am sorry.

Maybe some of these links will help you though.

A few friends and I were recording our results in this spreadsheetā€¦ however there was a bug in the mutation system that was patched recently so a lot of these results are now incorrect Iā€™m afraidā€¦but ill share anyway as this may also give you some direction.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d_Z8BE2o-rjl2YCQEUx_FWYsgFIrzDcuxpw3D1dbOvw/edit?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

What does max sustain mean? and are you growing on the gleam?

Youā€™re optimizing for seed, not pigment. So the ratio for that specific setup is 65% crop / 90% seed. Youā€™re specifically trying to mutate to a specific color and keep the seed after it drops.

1 Like