Is there going to be a update for water buckets

If you could make or collect source blocks then fountains and other water creations would be much easier.

4 Likes

Buckets are hard to get right (particularly to prevent them from being used as a griefing mechanism):

References and past ideas on this:

4 Likes

I think both 1 and 2 is good together. 1 becus players dont realy need the ability to place fluids outside there plot and it should stor at border adn it sould be reboved if beacon is removed. 2 is nice for the prestige thing to use water in a build

My random idea would be to make water/lava only flow for a very short horizontal distance (no more than 3 blocks) before disappearing into the ground. Forgive the crude diagram, but something like this:

~ = source, } = flow

}
 }}
~}}}
 }}
 }

It makes enough sense to be relatively intuitive to players without needing a special lesson on fluid mechanics, but it greatly limits the impact a griefer could have on another player’s plot. I think that’s all you need to understand the basic idea, but I’ll map it out in further detail for the more logic minded or the curious.

I think of it working by internally separating fluid blocks into two types: source and flow. Flow can be further divided into flow1, flow2, and maybe flow3, with the numbers indicating the height of the fluid, Each block can be described with the following rules:

Source:

• Must have a bottom and at least three sides.
  • Bottom and sides may be other source blocks.
  • Becomes flow1 if it loses these requirements.
  • If the fourth side is open, it creates flow1 on the next block in that direction.

Flow1:

• 3/4 the height of a normal block
  • Becomes source if it meets the requirements.
  • If it has no bottom, it falls down until it does.
  • If it has a bottom, it creates flow2 on any open neighboring sides.

Flow2:

• Half the height of a normal block.
  • Can never become source or flow1.
  • If it has a bottom, it creates flow3 on any open neighboring sides.

Flow3:

• 1/4 the height of a normal block.
  • Does not create any further fluid blocks.
2 Likes

To stop griefing you could simply not allow the player to place the source block if the block would flow out of his beacon.

2 Likes

You could have a on/off in your beacon control that allow/or not, water in your beacon.
Also an easy way to build under water, put a beacon on the seafloor and switch to not allow and start build…

2 Likes

The simplest solution would be to not allow water to cross beacon borders in which ever direction.

6 Likes

Dunno, feels like cheating to an extent.

But riffing off of your idea, what if it locks down liquids so that they are only allowed where they were originally generated for the world?

There’s still the case of surrounding (encasing) someone’s build in lava w/ blocks just outside the beacon; not sure if that’s feasible to prevent via a system though

3 Likes

Make a new item id for water and lava in buckets and dont allow it to flow <3

3 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

the first thing you might think wandering around my place is "man! I bet this guy used 30+ water buckets here but the truth is I did it all with just one. that would be impossible if it had a set amount of spaces it could flow.
my humble opinion is still that liquid should not be allowed to leave your plots unless it is invited into another set of plots with a special tool.

7 Likes

True :thinking: Though that would qualify as legit griefing, I wouldn’t expect liquid system to resolve that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you mean this as a response to my suggestion, I noted that source blocks can replicate under certain conditions. This could easily be used to turn a single “bucket” into as much water/lava as you wanted. You’d just have to put the first source block in a one block wide pit, then dig out the area for your pool one block at a time. You could even create constant waterfalls with one source block each, though I suppose whether or not that’s a good thing is debatable.

If someone were really determined to grief by surrounding someone else’s plot with something undesirable, they could also just dig out a giant pit or build a huge wall so the plot is difficult/impossible to escape. Ultimately, even the best designed systems may require some amount of policing to discourage this kind of behavior, and that’s especially true for a game that thrives on player freedom and creativity like this one.

1 Like

i get it and think it’s a good idea but simple is always the best bet. if liquid can not leave your plots the only way I can think to greaf someone would be to surround them with plots and pour lava around it.
the answer to that is also simple. take a screen shot send it to a dev and watch them lose there offending plots and possibly there account for a few weeks.

6 Likes