Just gonna let out a little rant here about big cities

I hadn’t even thought of this before but if it wassn’t so lonely to run a shop out there I’ve more than once thought I should just pack it up and move to Houchus :smiley:

2 Likes

Gonna be honest, I would build more on T2 - T6 worlds if there was a way (other than plotting like crazy) to push creatures away.
Like some “energy tower” machine, and you feed it crystals (burn, chill, etc) as fuel, and it just blasts nearby creatures when they actually become aggressive. So, when nobody is around, they won’t consume crystals. But when you’re there, you could build more freely.

In the meantime, I see no reason to build on a T6 world, for me.
Sure, an incentive would be just like Prestige, and everybody would go build on T6 worlds to take advantage of that bonus, and it would be super crowded… though, then, maybe the T1 worlds would be left to the players who just care about the artistic part of building.
But maybe instead of an incentive, some quality of life thing? Add a skill that allows you to break crafted-blocks as if they were placed on a T1 world, even if they’re on a T6 world?

5 Likes

That’s Why you leave it up to Cookie Kingdom to Push those Meanies away Mwahahaha

Think I’m 1 of the only Major City’s on T6 Mwahahahahaha

Gotta think Positive for that great Price they see on B.U.T.T. is your shop then you Bring Footfall to Portal Networks cause they gotta walk through all
Those Portals Mwahaha so the Networks can continue to Strive to Keep Running

3 Likes

I’m one of those who would disagree with you. There are too many planets, some with such little population, why keep it. I would (and have) argued in favor of just 24 planets (6 for each region, with tier 1-6 planets). This is a practical standpoint.
I think that if there were fewer planets, with people not so spread out, our numbers of players would be higher.

See! I’m one of those people who believes in stuff like automated defenses that would shoot critters if they came too near.
Instead, I’ve sometimes set up moats around builds to keep the critters away.

1 Like

Imagine a machine where you actually have to feed it an actual weapon, and it uses it against hostile creatures and stops working when your weapon is broken. ^^

2 Likes

this sounds like a job for death cube fences

1 Like

A small active population of any world doesn’t really justify the world removal.

I tend to think that t1-3 and probably 4 are perfect to populate and that’s why people build there the most.
T5+ - those, I think, are actually made for mining, gathering, etc rather than making them busy living places (one reason would be natural players inclination to not build where its more difficult; another might be that it’s not good to block access to resources that are only available on high tier worlds, such us high tier plants, boulders, metals and also gems as well a creature drops).
I’m not talking about what devs might or might not have intended for the specific types of worlds, I’m talking about players views on worlds usability. Maybe we just need consider that higher tier worlds don’t need to be seen as places for total colonization.

So - no matter how small the population now - the high tier worlds are needed in current numbers, and if anyone need to think about reducing the number of planets, only lower tier worlds should be taken into consideration (my opinion). But then we hit the wall of currently over-plotted low tier worlds (as in a lot of space taken but not used, limiting new players choice if it comes to picking a spot for their beacon). So, despite dwindled number of active players, there is no abundance of space as the total number of worlds could suggest.

There is also an understandable reluctance on devs side to just remove any permanent world, as it means removing peoples beacons and builds. And even players inactive for a year or two can suddenly log in to check on things and then file legitimate complaints about their stuff being removed.
I know this reluctant policy towards tinkering with (even inactive) users beacons from experience.

Long story short: the public universe consisting of 50 worlds is something that either stays or goes as a whole package.

2 Likes

Itd just be the same number of players with fewer planets.

And it would force us to deal with purposely intractable players
There would have been no survivors of that universe lol

2 Likes

This was an issue that some of us brought up before launch, as soon as they created tiered worlds and changed the strength characteristics of blocks on the higher-tier planets… and we brought it up again several times after launch as well. You could see this storm on the horizon long before it got here.

At this point, even if game development ever resumed, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it.

Edit: I actually found my last Suggestion thread from September… 2018…

3 Likes

Sometimes, I think I am the only person on Cardass. Feels pretty lonely, but that just means I can write rude words in statues without getting banned. Lol. I find it heartbreaking to see so few around, especially finding half completed builds that people just gave up on. But. it does mean I can claim the best spots now. So there is that. I can now build my giant ALL BROWN build. And nobody will complain.

I might still rent a sovereign though, just to take some “interesting” screenshots. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

I love the high tier worlds mang. Keeps the Riff-Raff away. Though, admittedly, it is less of a problem nowadays.

And, there is endless amusement building to mess with hoppers.

Seriously, whaddya mean plotting keeps critters out? Maybe Cardass is more bugged than I thought. My base is infested with the annoying little buggers. A spitter shot me through my glass pane front wall yesterday, so I had to resort to double glazing.

As, for incentive, I became the VICEROY just by randomly spraying blocks everywhere, and then feverishly chiselling most of it while hopped up on speed brews. Good times… :grin:

2 Likes

I can’t build well and I don’t really like to but I like doing something with my plots. As long as it fits the compactness thingy, I don’t have problems with people plotting and not building. I look at them like nature reserves… beautiful, until I see a plotted stardrop plant. Then anger.

2 Likes

Hmm well what I think is not the problem with players plotting a lot, that is simply how the game works: you can claim as much land as you can afford with your earned plots, build an empire, take over the world. I dont see a problem with that mentality at all (except if it is done specifically maliciously to annoy others of course, but I do not believe this to be the case here at all). The problem is devs not reserving some starter areas to be used by new players. There honestly should be a few starter worlds where each player could only plot a maximum amount of land. Mind that this should only be the case for starter worlds where new players arrive. I do agree that if you are a new player cant find any land to build on because others claimed it then that is problematic and should be addressed, I think my suggestion is appropriate.

3 Likes

But with the right tools and skills you can break t6 blocks like you used to do it on t1 worlds?

The issue is that you can perfectly do a ‘nature reserve’ by plotting above ground so that people can still come to harvest stuff. But a lot of people plot in a way that deny you this.

3 Likes

Our point then, which is the same today, was that these things created a barrier to building that had a major impact on where people settled and what they built. Who wants to spend an extra 10 hours assembling more expensive tools, or use 1/3 of their entire skill tree, just to do what comes naturally on a T1 world? Even if I won’t always take the path of “least” resistance, there will always come a time when the cost of doing something like that exceeds the reward.

And people have been voting with their feet for 3 years now.

1 Like

I never thought that I would read this from you dear friend, being you one of those who reserve land that they will never use to prevent anyone from building, so you made a city in Arie disappear

Oh? You dare? YOU DARE BLAME ME? Oh the nerves!

YOU, the guy who has been sarcastically calling me “his dear friend” for more than 2 years, knowing that I just can’t stand him?
YOU, the guy who told us all that PvP in Boundless was to annex other players’ builds, and got such a bad rep that you had to rename your town from Los Mancos to Villarie?
YOU, the guy who, with his friends, annexed the town of MY friends not once, not twice, but thrice, to the point that we moved to Raxxa, in late 2018 / early 2019.
YOU, the guy who contacted me in DM and forced me to destroy my old house on Arie in Summer 2019 by threatening me of coming to Raxxa to build next to the (then small) Raxxian Sanctuary just so you could annex it? I removed my house 2 years ago, your town was definitely still there when I did, and I remember you jumped on the land I cleared to build something, so don’t even try to pin this on me.

ALSO, I’ll have you know that this is comparing apples to oranges. The “reserved land” you’re referring to, which I was keeping fuelled, were still featuring houses, workshops, builds, belonging to me and my friends. There was no un-used space, I was coming around one a month to collect footfall, which I needed. It was something around 100 plots in surface, covering the beacons of 5 people, not just my house.
Nothing comparable to what made me write this thread with people reserving thousands of plots at a time.

If you’re going to play games with someone, don’t try me, because I still resent you for how much you’ve annoyed me and my friends in 2019.
There’s only 3 people on my :poop:-list, and two of them were banned from the forum, which leaves only you. Congrats on making the cut!
Flag this message as much as you want, close this thread if you will. But if you’re going to accuse me of something, get ready to rumble and don’t expect me to lie down.

6 Likes