Lighting in Release 225 Status

I’ve checked this recently and the items are lit independently on the storage they’re in.

However…

… so things will seem a bit darker until this is fixed.

The voxel lighting does “falloff” and get darker as the radius increases. If you wanted perfectly flat lighting on (or equal lighting across) the wall then you world need more lanterns.

The falloff of the updated lighting is much smoother. Previously the fall off was shallow, shallow, shallow, then a very steep fall off. So the lighting now should be much smoother, where as previously it was very harsh. (A long time ago people said that the lighting was better and became worse - it was this shallow-to-steep fall off that caused the problems - IMO.)

8 Likes

Acknowledging that someone’s response, and that their response comes from an irrational place (which doesn’t mean it is invalidated) isn’t harmful. Nor is suggesting everyone have empathy. Your response says far more about you than me.

4 Likes

This just feels like a kid saying, “I know you are, but what am I?” or “sticks and stones…”

The point I made and the response you chose to give continues to prove the point of why many people do not participate in the forums.

1 Like

You said that earlier in game too and forgot to react to it, but I have no clue what you mean by it…

What effect are you seeing you think would benefit from ehh Ultra settings on PC??

Also, turn bloom off, helps with the blurring, for now…

@Xaldafax @LyndaFromHR take it to DM and stop polluting this thread.

15 Likes

I think that is a fantastic Idea. It already gives me ideas to use light colors as subtile lights.

The new fall off is a huge upgrade in my book:

19 Likes

I hear Hytale is going to be pretty good

1 Like

It all seems a little dark mostly.

I keep my brightness, contrast, and all those sort of settings relatively low as I find TV/movies too bright and washed out with these settings higher. Particularly on HDR stuff.

It’s not detail or quality settings in the PC I’m talking about, but the actual brightness, contrast, colour, etc in the monitor or TV or projector or whatever you have decided to use.

It may just be a case of getting used to it and trying some alternative light sources, but that is my initial impressions.

Sadly that’s not on ps4.

2 Likes

I looked forward to the lighting changes and overall quite like them given the mentioned fixes coming.

As with any change like this, there will be some kinks with existing builds…primarily those at the edge-most cases of darkness under the former system. And, uh, lighter-colored marble. Marble is SO SHINY now that I burst into laughter when I saw it and am still in a little bit of disbelief.

Overall, though, I think the lighting change does mostly accomplish what it set out to do.

Here’s some before-and-after of my build.

the changes also fixed a few weird lighting issues like the one seen here:

12 Likes

I play on a PS4 on a 55" 4k Samsung TV and i think the game now looks spectacular. Absolutely great job devs, thank you!

3 Likes

At first I thought “ wow total eclipse “ :waning_crescent_moon:

But now looking at some of my builds and others they look better with a bit of dim lighting in areas.

The idea to brighten gleam and lanterns with the transformation tool would be great might help some people cope a little better with the lighting problems.

I would personally like to thanks the devs for their hard work in trying to improve the game and make it more let’s say “ interesting “ for everyone.

I just love the water effect now it looks great :+1:t3: The details you have worked hard to get will be appreciated by those that don’t mind change in a growing game.

Also love the colour of foliage and plants etc now it’s like they had a season change and now it’s summer and they all changed love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I take my hat off to you devs I would have loved to do this as a job…if you need any help just ask I’m free lol :rofl: just kidding or am I…@James

I have a similar setup, (panasonic 4k instead of samsung) and also for me is a great improvement. Really great job
I have tried some different settings setup on my TV, but at the end i came back to the original.
Apart from a few minor adjustments needed everithing looks far far better to me.

1 Like

@james I have some specific questions that I’d like to ask so I understand a bit more what’s possible.

1.) Is it technically feasible to maintain the updated lighting system as it is now, but have say a transformation tool as you proposed before for changing the lighting intensity of gleam, but for the dark blocks too? Allowing the dark blocks to reflect a bit more light without the colors being wrong as they were before?

Quoted from another player:
“I think @james did mention a little while back that changing blocks finish from matt to shiny, in degress, would be relatively straightforward to implement.”

2.) Can you please put yourself in the player’s perspective and address the fact that the goo/paint will be hard to obtain as they are locked behind exo worlds (which are few and far between, and get cleaned out in 24 hours when some of us might not be on to access it) or will be expensive due to their rarity.

You suggested to those who were affected by the lighting changes to “just go repaint our builds”, but have you considered the difficulty in obtaining the paints?

3.) Instead of 1 or 2, can you simply allow dark colors/black to reflect a bit more light when there’s a light emitting object (including gleam) near them so they aren’t pitch black and obscuring detail?

4.) Is it true that underground builds with no windows/access to sunlight still dim light sources when the sun is out, outside of the build?

Thanks in advance for your reply/consideration

1 Like

Yea all the chisel work that would need to be done. Plus coin or time spent making marble or brick. And also I used colors I liked and wanted for my builds. Now I’m told to change it to something else that doesn’t fit the palette I had intended for the build because the build no longer looks good in the intended palette. Also all the resources I basically wasted on making those items that were meant to be used but now have no use for me

As James quoted

If you still find that you’re unhappy with your build and actually want the shiny blocks to be brighter then the easiest solution would be to use the new Goo farming system to create some lighter spray colours and redecorate your build. The advantage of this is that there is no need to rebuild. Just spray the blocks and the colours will change.

Just to clarify a misconception here… only the exo worlds are rare. Goo itself is generally the 2nd highest resource on the world after flint, which is usually around 15-20%. I don’t think it’s possible to clean out all the goo deposits that quickly.

2 Likes

Specifically to this, quoted from a post directed at james:

"Can you please put yourself in the player’s perspective and address the fact that the goo/paint will be hard to obtain as they are locked behind exo worlds (which are few and far between, and get cleaned out in 24 hours when some of us might not be on to access it) or will be expensive due to their rarity.

You suggested to those who were affected by the lighting changes to “just go repaint our builds”, but have you considered the difficulty in obtaining the paints?"

Also, why? Because it hasn’t affected you?

Why not just fix the issue with black blocks instead of telling everyone that has dark builds to paint them white or yellow?

This is kind of related to the other issue of not having a trello board or another form of tracking coming changes easily.

We’ve known for months that this change is coming, we just couldn’t see how our builds would look with it.

There’s also been many cries from the community to change the lighting, praises of how it looked in EA (this is closer to that). I think what we see now is a combination of trying to bring back the old look and improve it.

But there are downsides to this, one is the changes to old builds we’re seeing. Then there’s the subjectivity of what looks great, and the medical conditions that are affected by this.

1 Like

Putting this to the test today… Going goo hunting when I get home from work in 5 hours :sunglasses:

1 Like