Monumental Boundless news!

Great question! Boundless has many forms for players to communicate. I’ll be assessing and looking into the best way to gather feedback across all of them so nothing is missed and everyone can provide feedback.

15 Likes

This. Some people got very excited and are spurting off ideas. Wait :raised_hand: they might be good ideas however they will just get lost in the flurry of things if 100 people say things now

4 Likes

Exactly this. If someone just checks in and says hey, still busy. Tried x and it ended up taking 10x longer than we thought as it was complex I think a lot of people would be happy to stick around and perhaps even get more gc money coming in

1 Like

And by the way, the next one who comes and say “communication was alright, what do you want them to do, tell you every 5 minutes that they’re working?” gets the hose.

6 Likes

Or we could just go silent, play other games, let monty and the team do what they feel is best. Then complain about the changes made that we don’t like :slight_smile: I am confident Tiggs listens and advocates for the players BUT players do have wants/needs/ideas.

They can just read, listen, compile information. Take a look at our feedback and make the business decisions from there. So good/bad/ugly I hope they hear us and take in the feedback :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Tiggs @monty1
I’ve run into a lot of players that don’t access the forum nor use discord. It would be great if there were a way to include them in polls, notices, & other communications. An account management page would be great, but email notifications would be alright too.

This might need to be refreshed/refined at some point so everyone knows what’s expected of them.

Useful links 1, 2

16 Likes

Welcome to Boundless @monty1 and The Monumental team! I hope that you give the game the love and attention that it deserves! We here in the community are passionate about this game (if you haven’t already noticed? :slight_smile: I’m glad that the game will no longer be at a standstill. As for @james and the rest of the Dev team! Thank you for Boundless. I have meet a lot of great people in the game and developed friendships. Thank you for everything that you have done with boundless up to this point! Wish you guys’ luck in your future adventures!

Lorelie

7 Likes

I’m struggling not to respond to every message. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

This is where you throw Tiggs to the wolves

6 Likes

James already threw them all to the wolves :rofl:

4 Likes

Maybe there is an automatic response away message for forum pings that can specify that person’s number in line :rofl:

giphy (1)

7 Likes

Tiggs is very patient with me - even though I make her job more difficult by constantly talking to players.

14 Likes

Well, this is exciting! Glad to have you here, @monty1 & @Tiggs!

I’m really interested to see where you folks begin to take the game once things have stabilized for you …e.g. in a ~year, once you’ve staffed a team up, and have begun to understand the game’s systems/code :wink:

A couple high level questions ( if you’re willing to talk about any of these this early on :stuck_out_tongue: ) for you folks:

• Do you have a good sense of how you want to transition the game into a sustainable property with an active development team? (between the lines: any potential changes to monetization that you’re considering? etc)

• What’s your runway? Or at least, how long are you hoping to give yourselves to prove out the investment?

• On the gameplay front: Do you have a sense of whether you’re keeping the current narrow-ish focus (e.g. on builders / socializers) of the game…
    …or plan on widening it to a broader set of players (e.g. leaning into more RPG elements for explorers / killers / achievers)?

(I’m really hoping that you do end up leaning more into the RPG elements - titans are such a fantastic concept, amongst other things!)

9 Likes

Not remotely. That said, I do believe that acquiring new players is going to be what makes or breaks Boundless so we’ll likely explore a path to free-to-play. We’re open to other models and will definitely be exploring them with the community.

We have pretty deep pockets and we are thinking long-term. I’m not setting any deadlines for Boundless.

I don’t really buy into Bartle player types but I believe that Boundless is big enough for lots of cool ways to play.

27 Likes

You get it. So exciting. I will return to play!

3 Likes

Boundless is really a game for people who love games – so many of the old timers here (like myself) are people who played MMOs a lot and especially sandbox style games. It’s really a testament to how special and unique the core experience of Boundless is that people have stayed around, still playing, even during these years of content drought when the game felt like it was dying. The experience of a lonely but interconnected world brings me straight back to playing games like Everquest as a kid in the early days of the internet, it’s a wondrous, magical feeling. We just need more content, more planets, more players, and I’m really excited to see that the game is going to continue being developed.

I had a bittersweet feeling of “what’s the point?” thinking that the servers might get shut off before long. I always felt Boundless had such massive untapped potential, which was frustrating. After more than two thousand hours (gulp) playing Boundless by now, I can easily see myself spending two thousand more if the game will receive updates and a new lease of life. In the closed beta before release, I seriously expected we would see a population of 10,000+, the game is just that good. It was like being in a special club because you were in on the secret before everyone else. Unfortunately, it seems like lack of exposure, lack of development resources to follow through on content updates, or whatever the problems were, meant that Boundless never lived up to its potential back then.

I’m very excited to see what Monumental will be able to do with it. Boundless will, even if the servers get shut off, always remain with me in my memory as a special part of my life. That “intangible factor” which people fall in love with is maybe not something that’s so easy to come up with a marketing slogan for, but it’s what many people are looking for in a game.

7 Likes

With all the dev ideas popping up here and in other threads, it’s important to remember that the way boundless works brings us a bit of a soft population cap.

Blasting out advertisements and attempting to flood the game with players immediately just isn’t going to pay off. There needs to be a fair bit of work on the internals first.

Definitely not being a (trying to be a) downer here, just a reminder that it’s not like someone can just bring 10k people to the game. Or honestly, 5k. Much less “minecraft numbers”.

As it stands, massive viral success of boundless in terms of revenue or player count would 100% depend on the private universes coming out, and more people being attracted to the private building game than the MMORPG game we’ve been enjoying all of this time.

Again, these things are addressable, in code and in simple management of expectations, this isn’t a “we’re going nowhere” post in any way. More of “this is about work not miracles”. So many posts about “just fix this one problem and bam…” but really none of them address the real obstacles.

It will definitely be interesting to see the direction this takes. Boundless is too many pieces of too many things right now. And most of it is hopium wrapped around an actually somewhat fragile core. Boundless really needs these things:

• A clear direction
  • A team that holds the line

After that, commercial success could come from where we are now in any number of ways. Very different versions of commercial success. Lots of options. But not just 100x (or whatever) growth of the current model by adding some UI cleanup and better tutorials. It’s literally not feasible.

It’s going to be much more interesting than that.

also here have some extra quotes “”"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" :clown_face:

6 Likes

You could not be more wrong about this. There is no way that Boundless ever competes with Minecraft on that kind of experience – if you want a “private voxel universe,” are you going to wrestle with this new, experimental fork of an existing (far less popular) game, or are you going to search up one of the many, many available guides and get a custom Minecraft server running for your kids in an afternoon (or whatever)?

Where Boundless differs (and is much better in my opinion) from Minecraft is precisely in its MMO aspects.

However, you are right that the current situation has many problems. Could the servers even handle 10,000 concurrent players? We don’t know. The existing set of planets, not counting sovereign worlds paid for by players or subscribers, certainly couldn’t.

Why is it not like someone can do this? Plenty of people can do this. Boundless, as far as I’m aware, had close to zero marketing around the time of release. Another factor is that the price point was prohibitive for many people. If the game goes Free-to-Play, and is promoted in more ways than just word of mouth, why couldn’t we see as many as 10,000 concurrent players? I don’t see any reason why not.

1 Like

Just give me a better NPE, Real-time chat system with no delays and better dev communication and you can have my money :wink:

3 Likes

We do know.

See above.

50 x 85 = 4250. The game as we know it is basically unplayable well before 4250 concurrent players. There are some snap answers people will drop to why this “doesn’t matter”. But oh, it does. It really does.

But also please if people want to discuss this matter in detail let’s have a thread about it - not another announcement that turns into several thousand posts of petty argument over potential future scenarios.

In general and the reason I mention it here is honestly because the number of people popping up and certain things starting to be said again make me feel like I don’t want to take another lap on the exact same roller coaster, again.

4 Likes