New idea - engineering skill path

The fuel source could be a robo beacon and the bots would have to stay within the limits of the beacons reach. We could have different tier robo beacons using more advanced tech/materials. Goodness, my dreams are getting to high. I should probably stop.

1 Like

Yeah, I was joking. But I am totally here for robot NPCs that build and maintain their own settlements. I’ve even head-cannon’d them a bit.

Ancient automatons left behind by the long gone Oortians, fueled by powerfully dense compacted cores of oort stone, continue to build and maintain cities for their long vanished creators. They have even been observed to have developed some culture as well, wearing masks and creating new, nearly impossible, works of art.

But this thread isn’t about that! Let’s get some cool crafting and skills!!!

We still haven’t got vehicles yet in the game. Airships at some point are suppose to be implemented. I am not sure if they are still planning to get us them. I do think we could benefit greatly from them. Perhaps after we get the Hunter implemented (since it can go through portals) we might be getting air ships or other vehicles. I would love to have some sort of battle walker style mech to roam around in. It would really give people a better incentive of having really massive portals so vehicles can travel through them to other worlds.

Yeah I don’t know if tiers would work necessarily. If you make them functional enough with specialized roles without tying them to specific resource tiers you’d still get people using different ones for the various things they want to do.

I think a farming specific robot that can tend to fields wouldn’t be a bad thing. I also think that the robots would need to have some sort of device they go to, such as a hibernation pod, that they would recharge from and be powered from Spark.

They just don’t need to be specifically associated with any specific tier of resources. Perhaps each different robot could have multiple tiers to them so we have the best of both options: lots of different robots that can be made from multiple tier qualities. Kind of like Brews have different tier qualities and are specific in what they do.

2 Likes

Robo tech is definitely in the engineering wheel house!

2 Likes

True, I can’t wait to see what’s next after the glass and Hunter :smiley:

Hmm i’m not sure how the robots should be tiered yet

Well if the devs actually took one of our suggestions and attempted to make it as close to as possible what the consensus for it is, they’d probably be extremely surprised at how happy we’d be. I’d personally think about spending a couple hundred on Cubits to get more plots and maybe another wave of Gleam Club added to my time just as a reward for them actually giving us something we’ve directly asked for.

I seriously want to have modifiable robots, vehicles, firearms, energy weapons, etc. so I can make my base on Delta Cancret a lot more fleshed out. It’s suppose to be a heavily designed scifi themed base.

1 Like

Exo planets and bomb buffs, at least, are almost exactly from suggestions that have been on the forums. I don’t see why we wouldn’t expect to see more suggestions taken seriously! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like this topic, I like the water mill idea for for power. But I think that’s a huge change and requires water falls and LOTS of changes, but fun changes none the less. I’d also like to see buildable hot air balloons… basically make a small block building and chisel it however you like and then a craft balloon that you can attach to there build. Then to get it to fly have to burn petroleum, resin or maybe even a find and harvest a gas product that will make it fly. … ooo now we have taxis and gas stations for the economy!!!

Edit for my spelling

1 Like

Pretty sure EXO worlds were what the devs called Special Worlds back in Early Access and there probably is a forum post some where from those days when someone data mined up the EA textures of EXO gem items. I remember one of them looking very lava-ish.

I don’t recall anyone suggesting bombs be used to buff others but I also often take breaks from reading stuff on the forums.

But yeah I agree I don’t see why they shouldn’t take more suggestions seriously. I think having more scifi specific things added into the game would only further enhance the gameplay Boundless offers.

I’ve linked the particular suggestions that came to mind. They’re definitely not exactly what was suggested, but they’re pretty similar. Could definitely have been coincidence for sure. But I feel pretty optimistic about @james and the dev team looking at these suggestions and at least drawing inspiration from them! :heart:

Sorry, end of hijacking!

2 Likes

At any rate… the game needs more scifi things. I’d like to have an actual gun or cannon of some sort.

3 Likes

Great idea as an expansion upon robots use

2 Likes

I’m hoping more stuff like this gets added. I think the game needs complexity to thrive as a creative mmo. We need more depth and wider skill sets to diversify the player base. It will also bring more people that are interested in specific types of gameplay.

I feel like boundless should really go for the creative and interactive mmo feel. All can still be possible by a single player, but without complexity people will get bored, or we will always have half empty shops and shops that are all selling the same stuff.

We should have robot shops. Farmer shops. Miner shops. Builder shops. Gatherer shops. Exo shops. The more types of gameplay and skill routes in game, I believe the life in the boundless universe will grow because people will see all these things you can do and be part of a community or play solo.

But I feel like the devs should really focus on deepening the universe experience to bring people in.

Edit: this diversification will create supply and demand, niche markets, and unique styles of gameplay that you cant find elsewhere.

1 Like

I would like to be able to build boats that float, with blocks that are the impulse engine (like the mechanics of the mob that throws you a jet and throws you with an impulse backwards for example), levitation blocks that can float a little while staying stable and Easy to handle if the surface is smooth and even blocks that increase the speed of vehicles to place on the roads, and things like that. With these things engineers can create different types of vehicles, according to their imagination and the roads would be more useful too, it would be great.

Yeah, they could even make branches of engineer : ship engineers vs robotic engineers vs stationary mechanical instruments like defenses or utility mounts that move or rotate.

Creating a dichotomy of engineer roles, this would then create a greater demand for items and more coin movement

Plus I really want a little robot friend

1 Like

Well hover tanks could easily be placed into the game with the proper multi-block machine that morphs into a crafting machine large enough to build them. Same goes for any other type of vehicle. It would be really cool to see starships that are 2x3 plots in size, tanks 1 plot in size, and battle walker mechs 1x1x2 plots in size.

I just think it would be pretty cool. As far as naval vehicles, it would be cool to see worlds with terrain more or less similar to the first Subnautica world. So if we had more water heavy worlds (like a world that’s 95% water and the sea level at high altitude) we could have submarines, naval destroyers, and battleships. Of course, I think having any sort of flying vessel is going to be a much better idea since they could also be worked out to double as submarines.

I’d also love to have pre-fabricated massive gate systems that you could build. Such as a multi-block mechanized door that would be large enough for aerial vehicles to take off and pass through. So if we had these kinds of mechanized gates, then players could build vehicle hangers to house vehicles. It could be a design feature for future city settlements.

2 Likes

I think it would be great if the mechanisms you are thinking about are added to the engineer class or a sub class of it, but I like the idea of people creating their own gates and moving structures then the mechanics taking hold and move the blocks you strapped together for the doors or gates. Customized big doors I think would be cooler than per fab, so people have different looks.

But totally understand where you are coming from

Well have to take into account that multi-block moving stuff puts stress on the servers. So if the large gate doors were pre-fab multi-blocks reduce stress on servers but that’s also assuming they would stress the server in the first place.

This might be possible once we get our hands on the Titan content. Difficult to really say but since Titans are basically flying fortresses with titan specific mobs on them called Protectors, i think it might be possible to get vehicles. Besides… I doubt vehicles are going to be actual moving blocks but rather multi-block creations. But we don’t really know. Every idea and suggestion that has been made towards the topic is pure speculation.

1 Like

Good points to think about. Love this creative thread.

1 Like

Well it’s stuff I’ve wanted to type up in a document then copy and paste it onto the forums but last time I suggested sci-fi stuff to add to the game people just ended up wanting everything to look like medieval weapons instead. They didn’t want new weapons looking like futuristic firearms or make it so weapons require some sort of ammunition (augments I suppose) in order to be able to fire at something.