No Man's Minecraft?

I disagree with grinding being boring, but audiobooks are the bomb for this.

1 Like

I put down a similar thread a few days ago about hitting the gem barrier. Iā€™m still struggling, but I am at least finding some diamonds by doing the following:

I bought 2 advanced power coils for my workbench as well as enough Titanium ore to build a couple of Titanium Hammers. I prepared to die a lot, then went to Alcyon even though Iā€™m nowhere near able to fight anything there. I ran like the dickens until I found an ash plain and started to dig straight down, using a grapple to keep myself safe in case of Lava. Then I dug sideways forever at altitude 12. While I didnā€™t end up with as many diamonds as I hoped, I did end up with plenty of Titanium, enough to do a mass craft of hammers and continue the cycle.

This is without any forging, just plain hammers. Iā€™m learning how to forge now, so hopefully I can improve things a bit.

1 Like

why should it be boring?
if it where boring we would not do it.
i just like to make some no-brainer task and watch flix or listen podcast while doing so.
but then there are moments where i play hunter character and the turn on the game sound and fight the cuttles.

depending on mood i can chill and grind a bit, or have a bit more intensive play with more concentration when hunting or building.

1 Like

There are active games that require your full attention, and there are laid back games that donā€™t. You can watch a little TV or whatever and still enjoy some games. Same way you can listen to the radio and wash dishes or something lol.

I agree with a lot of what you said. The game should be entertaining. If I need to be entertained by something else in order to accomplish something that is necessary in the game, then that is an issue.

I also agree with your statement about gems. I think the prices for forged gem tools are too high and that is adding to the grind. If I have to grind for hours to get the resources to sell for the tools, so I have the tools to grind more so I get enough sell to replace the tools and maybe a little more so I maybe have blocks I can use to build, then something is out of balance. Either the forging is requiring too many resources and boosting the prices or the rareness of gems or a combination of the two.

Everquest was soo boring they literally made a game called /Gems that you could play while you sat there for 15 minutes waiting to get your mana back.

It is difficult to balance a game as a new game with so much player controlled content. Some things need to be adjusted and somethingā€™s will just work out in time.

In 6 months, there will be centerforge shops, a lot of item overflow and prices will stabilize.

In a game where at level 10 you could buy an AOE hammer, how do you balance the midgame? I would buy an AOE hammer and go to town. It is pretty fun.

Pair it with a speed potion and you can just run through blocks :wink:

All of this can be purchased or traded for. There is no benefit to not engaging in that part of the game.

Iā€™m a big fan of grind and Iā€™m perturbed by the trend of removing it from games. A good RPG should have a level of grind that feels a bit like work. It enhances the accomplishment.

But there IS a balance. The sweet spot lies somewhere between ā€œOkay, this is getting really annoyingā€ and ā€œThis is really annoyingā€.

Finding and holding onto that sweet spot is not, by any means, easy.

1 Like

I think part, but only part, of the issue is also the environment around the grind.

Grinding is one thingā€¦grinding while dealing with severe atmo and high tier critters can put a serious cramp on thingsā€¦not to mention make it inaccessible until you get to the high end of the mid levels.

I have a character that can chew through rockā€¦but if he falls into a cave with a spitter, heā€™s dead man walking.

2 Likes

On a side note, what should i expect to find deep on T3 worlds? Silver?

And gold. Thereā€™s titanium on T4, and gems on T5.

1 Like

i allmost never mined for gems, and i got at all around 600k prestige valued buildings all over several planets.
i only have some compactor coils that i bought from a shop.

using gem tools is not neccesary to come along in terms of building / being creative.

2 Likes

Iā€™m due to sell some adv ruby coils later today, when I do I aim for cheapest for fastest saleā€¦ I have a thread ther on trade section iā€™ll update in a few hours.

spent 4 hours mining amethyst on wed. had 2 3x3 titanium hammers i forged, 1 1x2 titanium hammer, and 2 stacks of iron hammers. strip mined a large area for amethyst lit up on atlas. ended up with 99 amethyst, 400 silver, 100 gold.

similar results when i went mining for diamonds last week.

To me that seems like crappy amethyst yield.

Regen should happen once a day bare minimum 100%. Who cares if abandoned buildings disappear too fast.

1 Like

It happens every four hoursā€¦

no, it STARTS after that many hours if not loaded, and gradually regens. in gem areas very little is regenning at a fast enough rate.

1 Like

Quote from James in the discord

James-DevToday at 2:59 PM
At the moment some of the worlds are over 5 million blocks behind.

James-DevToday at 2:55 PM
Itā€™s really simple.
In the past regen kicked in quite aggressively, and rapidly recovered the chunk and added resources at the end.(edited)
A balance change was made to slow down regen, so that things gradually recovered.
This was considered a good change.
But then players starting making much larger changes to the worlds via extensive bombs and high powered hammers.
The regen is currently not recovering the world quick enough to keep up with the changes.
So we need to balance the regen in response to how the worlds are changing.
The ā€œfixā€ is to make sure regeneration canā€™t ā€œget behindā€.

Edit: sorry got them in the wrong order time wise

3 Likes

What if regen happened from the inside out? Like, the regen rates double below sea level?

Does that mean that resources regen at the same time now ?