PvP Question (and something else)

Hi,

I’m interested in this game but I need a definitive answer on whether or not PvP will be a big part of this game at some point in time. I searched the forums but it wasn’t that helpful. I only play games with PvP. Why do I want to join a guild if there’s no PvP? Why do I want to build something in your game that has (from what I can tell) no effect on the game other than being someone else’s eye sore? Sorry if I sound negative. I’m trying to figure out who this game is marketing towards. If PvP is an intended feature, when will these servers be available, and is there anything that players should expect to see gameplay wise which will differ from PvE servers other than open-world PvP?

Also, i’ll just throw this question in too while i’m at it…
What do the devs intend to do about floating trees? I think it takes away from the atmosphere and makes the game look ugly. In my head at least, it should be fairly straightforward to implement a system in which tree blocks fall down after base tree blocks are severed. That’s just a cellular automata.

4 Likes

I like this new guy :grinning::smirk::thinking:,I would like to know as well,it has always been my understanding that PVP would be a huge part of the game. But in recent events, that idea has been disproven, but not by a developer. So what does the future hold @Ben and @james?

2 Likes

Last time I checked they were talking about a system that continuously regenerates the places that dont have beacon protection. That is my explanation in the simplest form.

2 Likes

First of all welcome to the forum @argentfl!

The simple answer would be no. There will be pvp but the devs described it as “just fun pvp”.
BUT there will be custom private hosted severs and modding tools! So I’m 99% positive there will be heavy pvp servers in the future (after launch). If pvp is the only thing you really want I would wait till said servers are available ^^

As @Scortion said everything in a world, that isn’t in a beacon, will regenerate. So dirt towers and flying trees wont be a problem^^

1 Like

So far, pvp has only been described by the devs as only a small part of the game- however they have also said that they intend to cater to more than just builders. Playstyles discussed by the devs include tradeing, pve, exploring, building, tinkering.

However- it is a very open ended game that the player can create their own Playstyles for the most part. Every guild will be different, and many may seek pvp players for certain rolls. In particular, for my own guild I intend to employ mercenaries for certain combat rolls, gladiators to fight in arena’s for entertainment and gambling, or champions to settle disputes between other guilds. Even if pvp is limited to mutual engagement where both parties must agree to combat first, I can assure you that pvp minded players will have a place in boundless- though it may not be the total anarchy you may be used to in minecraft servers or other pvp games.

2 Likes

Yay, another fellow PvP enthusiast (seems like our number is quite growing lately :tada:).

In regards of PvP:
As it´s already been mentioned, the devs said that PvP won´t be a major focus of this game.
But nothing has been set in stone yet and I´m sure that if enough players are campaigning for PvP the devs will take a 2nd look at it.

In regards of floating trees:
The, already mentioned, world regeneration will take care of most of this issue but additional mechanics for this have already been discussed here.

3 Likes

Japp, PVP is an interesting topic and I also hope that there will be at least some pvp worlds included into the main universe for the start. There don’t need to be many, cuz only-pvp players are fewer then the mixed ones or only-pve’ers, but to have at least the option to play on such worlds (without the need of ppl to rent such worlds/servers) would be a good feature that would get some more ppl to playing the game.

And even if that will not be the case we can still hope for the rented or personal servers/worlds which then can be modded and altered so that there may be pvp on those at least :wink:

I was going to go through this in more detail in another Q&A post, but I’ll mention it here seeing as you asked.

Whilst traditional PvP (i.e. hitting each other) is not intended to be a big part of the game, competition between guilds is. Each world has the idea of a ruling guild (or player) which is determined by looking at the value of what is contained in their beacons on that world. Being the ruler of a world has direct benefits as well as giving bragging rights. This indirect competition is a key part of the late game, and important for the most engaged players. It also provides aspiration for up-and-coming players as the ruling Guilds will be highly visible.

6 Likes

That’s news! Good news!^^

1 Like

New plan:

1. Make guild of all forum old timers
  2. Call it The Central Guild
  • Take control of every single world in the game
  • ???
  • Profit
6 Likes

But I think that´s exactly what people (atleast the ones campaigning for PvP) want: A fun brawling within the awesome sandbox you´re making.

Don´t get me wrong, what you are describing also sounds awesome (Once again I´ve to say that the direction you are heading reminds me a lot of EvE Online) but without actual fighting your concept degrades to some sort of “cookie clicker PvP” where all you can do is compare the length of your ****.
It also sounds like it would completely remove smaller or casual guilds from the competition.

3 Likes

While I agree that guild vs. guild “warfare” that can only be carried out via pve resource acquisition seems cool but sort of weak, Ben has already mentioned that PvP would be extremely difficult to balance properly. Not saying that means impossible or that it’s not something I wouldn’t want to see. Just saying.

Well-balanced PvP is only necessary if the stakes are high enough (e.g. ranking) or if there´s a dedicated matchmaking for even teams. I´d imagine B< as a game that would have neither of those anyway, but as a game where you´d rarely encounter an even fight (even if the game would be perfectly balanced).

There is a rule of thumb for PvP in EvE Online (and many other open world games) that would probably also apply in B<: Never engage an even fight. :wink:
What this means is that in open world games most player either roam around in groups and try to find smaller groups while trying to not get spotted by a bigger group or to engage a huge clusterfight that is way too random for balance to matter (looking at keep fights in ESO or 1k Winter/Tol Barad in WoW).

And I hoped for something similar in B<, an environment for my friends/guildmates and me to roam around, gank other players and occasionally get ganked and maybe a neat little mechanic for fun & rewarding GvG. No in-depth balancing required.

1 Like

I respect this as your opinion but as a game whose audience includes younger players, they need to keep things like balancing issues in-mind for player-retention.

I think it’s really cute that you felt the need to explain this :relaxed:[quote=“Vastar, post:13, topic:4093”]
And I hoped for something similar in B<, an environment for my friends/guildmates and me to roam around, gank other players and occasionally get ganked and maybe a neat little mechanic for fun & rewarding GvG.
[/quote]

I’m a proponent of pvp. But again I don’t think a lot of the player-base is going to think it’s fun getting repeatedly ganked. With tiered worlds out of the way, I think we’re going to see groups of heavily geared Titan-hunters roaming the same worlds that new players are exploring. And very likely if this happens near a beaconed area it could leave the weaker/newer players trapped in their beaconed area (yes, they could warp for coin, but that’s not my point). There would definitely be situations of borderline harassment like this (the multiplayer minecraft servers I choose to play on are survival pvp. I’m guessing that the above would be the case because I would be one of the players that would make it the case, if given the option).

I still think the better solution for the average player is to enable pvp within beacons (if the owner wills it). GVG dispute? Set up a neutral arena, or if you’re ballsy enough then make your own base pvp enabled. Also allows for the cool gladiatorial arenas @Havok40k mentioned for the fun brawling you mentioned. Really with enough beacon space and creativity there are some really cool scenarios/settings that could be made possible. Could even make a nice inter-guild pvp tournament with winner-takes-all stakes or whatever.

PvP worlds also would be fine with me but I imagine it’d be hard to handle these with warps and portals and player preference and immersion and all that.

2 Likes

I’d like to see “real” PvP (which has already been declined by the @devs) and i liked the way it’s handled in GW2 with a dedicated PvP World, dedicated gear-set (gear and stats change is free so you can focus on a perfect team build instead look at economic factors) and dedicated skills (not all skills are the same in PvP and PvE). It was fun for me to play PvP in GW2 if i want to play but i can always avoid it if i don’t want to play (don’t need to enter the PvP realm if i don’t like). This would also give the @devs the possibility to balance PvP while leaving the PvE game untouched.

On the other hand i don’t like to see “fun” PvP in PvE worlds where groups try to smash roaming players like @Vastar said. While i’m a player who like to explore worlds on his own i’d really don’t like this - especially if it’s NOT balanced and i can’t win with superior skill because i get knocked-down with some OP weapons.

Can’t we all just…get along?

No, no. Consuela voice

Runescape had specific pvp regions and areas. I’d rather not get my head chopped off well fishing. I enjoy pvp from time to time, usually in a mini game of some sort, but if I want to get shot in the back in a massive battle of chaos I’ll play Planetside 2. I’m sure many feel the same way. Well I think pvp has a place in this open world, sand box, choose your path game it definitely needs to be better setup then your typical Minecraft server.

-Duels: Challenge a player in wilderness, 2x mutual accept screens
-Beacons could allow or not allow duels if the owner wants to keep their area peaceful (assuming you can customize beacons)
-Regions where pvp is open, but there are resources of some kind, loot, b00ty, treasure, rewards, swag for your risks. I can see a platoon or caravan venturing into these dangerous areas.

3 Likes

Yea I quite liked the Runescape way of handling PvP but I’m not sure how the open PvP regions could be implemented in Boundless because the worlds are huge and generated from a set of parameters.
Maybe with some sort of PvP biome or just PvP Worlds. But I don’t really think we need more than PvP options for beacons and maybe duels for the moment until maybe version 1.5/2.0

1 Like

I agree with you that B< shouldn´t be a game with persistent PvP (like DayZ for example).
PvP should, of course, be completely optional (either by flagging oneself as PvP active or by entering a PvP enabled area/world).

While this is a good idea (that is already implemented btw) I´m not a fan of disconnecting PvP from the open-world-sandbox in an open-world sandbox game.

Could you elaborate that a bit? Because I really can´t think of any way how portals/warps/immersion would interfere with PvP.

You never know who you are talking with / who else is reading along.

That´s (pretty much) exactly how I would imagine PvP in Boundless.

Assigning certain areas of a world to PvP could be done by adding an additional “heightmap” layer to the worldbuilder that determines which areas allow PvP and which don´t (you could then use a blank white picture for non-PvP worlds, a completely black one for complete-PvP worlds and everything between for mixed worlds).

I think it was more thought like you would need to inform players somehow that they are intering a PvP area and if you limit that to worlds it would be rather hard ti give the player an early warning without making it appear in plain text or the GUI

1 Like

What @Thorbjorn42gbf wrote above.

I was also thinking from a programming point. They’d have to add an option like “avoid PvP worlds when warping and portaling” which seems doable, but could get messy, especially if you try to warp to friends or whatnot.

1 Like