Question about velocity (debug menu)

On the debug menu you are able to see your velocity (sorry ps4’ers), is the number you see ‘blocks per second’?

I tested max fall speed and I got 40.00 which is terminal velocity, I’m wondering if that translates to “terminal velocity is 40 blocks per second”?

2 Likes

Id like to point out that corresponds to 144kph

Google says skydiving terminal velocity is 200-300kph

2 Likes

I looked at this too, wondering if someone could make a Muybridge-style animation using that as a fixed speed.

40 Fps using wooden signs! 20 Fps with 2m large sign modules. Pretty good.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea, however it takes a little while to gain to that fixed speed and you wouldn’t be able to use a Portal to loop as you’ll smack into it and die :frowning: maybe a slower speed could work for that thing tho?

1 Like

If you grapple down with a grapple with faster than 40 reel in. Do you fall faster?

1 Like

If you grapple faster than the ‘limit’ you’d slowly slow down to the max. I wasn’t able to go faster than 40 tbh, even tho my grapple is 90 mps

Maybe you can’t go faster than 40?
OR
Velocity isn’t mps
OR
The velocity doesn’t display numbers higher than 40?

2 Likes

players/creatures are limited to 40m/s = blocks/s, projectiles have a higher limit (100 from memory). If any grapple says it can reel you in beyond 40m/s then it was designers being a bit too over-zealous, though a 40m/s reel and 90m/s reel “would” still feel different in that the 90m/s one is going to get you to that top-speed much faster or may infact be faster overall even as will be stronger to compensate against air-drag…

9 Likes

Oooh thats huge news, thanks for sharing. So does that mean player velocity on the debug menu, is infact the m/s?

1 Like

only because we use “m” in place of “blocks” because its shorter and more intuitive; 1 block = 1m, so 40m/s = 40blocks/s

3 Likes

Ah thanks, yeh I knew 1m = 1 block, I just didn’t know if the units of velocity translated to blocks per second, as it just says “velocity = x.xx”

Thanks for clearing that up!

So you’re legit telling me that iron grapples can be over-forged past the max movement (reel in) speed in the game?

1 Like

Too lazy to measure times so I measured distances instead, which I think is an okay proxy.

Reel-in upwards test:
Reel-in 75 m/s:
Travel 40m to reach 40m/s
Reel-in 40 m/s:
Travel 40m to reach 40m/s

Reel-out downwards test:
Reel-out 65 m/s
20m to reach velocity -21m/s
80m to reach max velocity -28m/s

Reel-out 40 m/s
30m to reach velocity -21m/s
57m to reach max velocity -23.5m/s

Reel-out 30 m/s
40m to reach velocity -21m/s
50m to reach velocity -22m/s (not enough length to keep accelerating)

1 Like

I definitely feel like reel speeds should bypass the 40m/s max speed. I have one of these rank 480 Grapples too and didn’t realize the reel speed wouldn’t make much of a difference

1 Like

Yeah when I order them I get projectile, range, and durability, but I bought these off a stand.

I’m still taking in the statement that the max forge effect in the game. If that limit is in place on the engine it does mean that Iron would be basically as effective as blink.

@Alwin could your test arrangement handle a comparison like that with any meaningful level of accuracy?

To do my test I just hung from the underside of DK mall and reeled in/out. At first I eyeballed the numbers from debug menu and then I decided to do some screen capture (which is time consuming). Out of laziness I won’t be doing any more tests but wanted to share the little info I got for my own curiosity.

I think in terms of reel speeds you’d be right – 40 m/s forged iron would be similar to unforged blink. I think it’s still most worth forging gem, for the extra projectile speed and range that it starts with.

1 Like

clients moving so quickly puts too much strain on the client/bandwidth/server, 40m/s is already fast enough that even on a high spec machine you can outrun the downloading and meshing of chunks…

2 Likes

40 is also the speed of flight in Creative… quite fast for sure.

I guess it just seems sort of misleading that there are unforged items with reel in/out speeds > 40m/s and that max forge (level 10 reel) gives 50m/s bonus > 40m/s, since I think many would assume that raw unforged items should have attributes that are supported by the game engine, or that level 9 or level 10 reel would actually do anything.

Please don’t nerf 5m/s per reel speed level
Please don’t nerf all grapple reel speeds

But maybe cap out reel speed at level 8 (extra boon points go elsewhere, like in level 3 glow, level 3 magnet, etc.)
And give the lucent grapples (and various gem grapples) some better attributes in place of their > 40m/s reel speed.

2 Likes

According to luca’s post a +40m/s (level 8 boon?) forged iron would be equal to a max forged blink.

A bit? :rofl: I did always say rift was “fast enough” when people told me I should try blink. I didn’t realize things were this bad.

@lucadeltodecso any chance you can share some actual acceleration rates for the various grapples, as this isn’t a stat we have in game? Does anyone have a good way to test for this?

I’ve done some side-by side testing of movement speeds with @wakeNbake in the past but with lag and whatnot it wasn’t anything I’d actually want to try timing over a 20m distance.

2 Likes

Side-by-side testing sounds like a good idea. To make both people start at the same time you just need a third person to open/close a door that holds the racers in place while they hold down the reel key.

2 Likes