Release 147: Smarter Stacking, HUD and more!

This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Release Notes:

• Torch particle effect in first-person renders like the torch itself now, forced to not intersect with geometry in the world.
  • When quitting the game the character remains in the world in a logging off state for 60s. The character will still take damage and may die in this state so make sure you find somewhere safe.
  • Mining progression now given for hitting grass blocks.
  • Fixed an issue preventing players from moving more than one item at a time from within smart stacks.
  • Fixed a crash caused by smart stacks being created within plinths.
  • Items will no longer exceed a quantity of 99 in any slot.
  • Fixed duplication issue on selling plinths caused by shift-clicking items from shopping baskets or dragging them back to the plinths.
  • Updated HUD health and stamina bars

Known Issues:

• Cannot smart stack walls.
  • HP and SP bars are briefly stretched when opening settings or inventory menus.
  • Occasional crash after choosing to join client from World Builder.
  • Scrolling up and down the Warp Locations menu may cause a crash.
  • Shift-clicking an item from the selling plinth will show odd numbers and will not always go in the shopping basket.
  • Shift-clicking and dragging on the coin icons from within the trading menus may cause a crash.
  • Smart stacking does not update recipe information from with the compactor without closing and reopening the menu.
  • Some items in player hands in 3rd person view are huge (e.g. Power Core).
  • Some of the items are not positioned in the hand correctly when the players are seen in 3rd person view.
  • Some of the items displayed in the inventory screen are not positioned correctly.
  • Sometimes the animation for left handed tools do not swing continuously.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.

Additionally

We have been working to improve the network latency issues affecting some players, especially at lower and variable frame rates. This work is now ready for players to test. The changes are quite extensive and have resulted in a large chunk of the networking code in Boundless being replaced. As this is a large and potentially unstable change, we have decided to release a custom build so that it can be tested before we release it to everyone. Hopefully the change will either be neutral or positive for all players. But as it’s new we didn’t want to risk exposing all players to the code incase there are some issue or negative performance changes.

If you’ve experienced high latency, rubber-banding or lag spikes in the past, or simply want to test that the networking remains solid, then please give the following special build of Boundless try. The build is fully compatible with the Live worlds so can continue to play with everyone in the Live worlds.

The build is accessible via a Steam Beta using the unlock password key of: SXG7buBiOohbTjQr3nz6

Release Notes:

• The networktest branch includes a refactoring of the internals of the Boundless client’s networking to try and ensure that low, high or variable frame rates have a much lower impact on the latency of the client’s communication with the servers.
13 Likes

Please ony when taken Damage the last 20 or 30 secs … because what if I think I’m safe but after 15 secs a spitter runs arround the corner / to the window and begins to kill me. … It’s good against combat logging, but please don’t make it the standard.

3 Likes

60 seconds? That’s insane :scream:
In most games it is around 15 seconds, which is appropriate imo
And if you think that this might not sufficiently prevent comabt-looging you could let the timer reset whenever a player takes damage.

4 Likes

I would also say any ‘safe’ areas have reduced time to log off:

For example:
Settlements (lots of altered blocks, lots of beacons)
Homes (areas you visit often or have your own beacon)
Friends or players you’ve met before

You could probably also add other time reducing factors.

2 Likes

New networking code is working great for me. I can now turn on per pixel lighting and get very little lag. I still have some issues if I turn quickly in tight spaces but even that is playable and I honestly can’t expect much when I’m running around 20 FPS. Great work guys!

2 Likes

Working well for me too - I occasionally had rubber-banding when looking around, but haven’t noticed anything like that when playing for a little while today.

Sorry, update to my last comment… I was just over by the EU Market street and I was getting some rubber-banding again… I’d only just run over to the area though (from the other side of the mountain tunnel, so it may have been trying to load the additional data/content at the time(?)

Screenshot with info on for reference

1 Like

tried the networking beta, is it me or do I get more frames? Also the network = fixed, thanks so much.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to input the unlock password to switch over to the “special build of Boundless”? I’m have crazy lag but I know that my computer and internet connection are optimal and can run some pretty high end games at max graphics without a problem.

If you think that you have a high end machine and connection then please respond to this thread with the requested details: Q: I'm having connection / lag issues - help!?

I want to know: why 99? Why not 42, 48, 64 or 72?