Release 155: More Hopper and Road Runner!

This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Release Notes: 155

• Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
    • First pass of grapple variations
      • Different types of grapple have different maximum ranges and reel in/out speeds
      • Some grapples are “hook-shots” (they will pull you in as soon as they connect, and won’t stop until you hit the grappled target)
      • Due to the speeds of the faster grapples, damage from impacts with the world is disabled whilst grappling. NOTE: This is a temporary work-around, not a feature!
    • New Objectives:
      • Objectives have been added to explain how to build the furnace and workbench.
      • Additional objectives have been added for collecting, mining, crafting and building.
  • Creatures + Combat:
    • Fix beacon check for spawning creatures using incorrect Y value.
    • New Hopper behaviour:
      • When hit with enough damage the hopper will now go into a ball state.
      • In this state the hopper can be rolled around (pushed by players or pulled by grapple beams!).
      • The hopper will now always explode if it is killed in the hostile state (so run away if you don’t want an explosion).
      • If you are quick you can scare the hopper into a ball before it becomes hostile.
      • Hoppers now float in water.
      • Fixed hoppers getting stuck trying to jump over 1 high walls (they can now jump over 2 blocks easily every time).
    • Added a new creature “Road Runner”:
      • The road runner is a rare creature that doesn’t like players.
      • It is easily scared and will try and escape (very quickly) if threatened.
      • Sneaking can be used (default key C) to get closer to them.
  • GUI + HUD:
    • Added new debug mode to show only the debug information without the hud. (This mode can be activated using the ‘.’ key)
    • Updated player hud damage indicators.
  • Server:
    • Optimised the server damage system to reduce server CPU load.
  • Bug fixes:
    • Fixed an issue where some players would end up stuck logged into a world after exiting the game.
    • Fixed a case where planets would not be visible in the sky.

Outstanding Known Issues:

The following items are known issues in this release.

• Buying plinths that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
  • Chat text overlaps with HUD Text in the centre of the screen.
  • Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
  • Gem grappling hooks retract automatically when hanging.
  • [NEW] Opening or closing doors and trapdoors when standing too close to them will restrict player movement. To get out of the situation, interact with the door or trapdoor again.
  • Shift-clicking an item from the selling plinth will show odd numbers and will not always go in the shopping basket.
  • Shift-clicking and dragging on the coin icons from within the trading menus may cause a crash.
  • Some Extractor machines lack animation.
  • Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon’s plots placed throughout the process.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.
13 Likes

My thoughts:

Not a fan of the reduced range on grapples.
I wouldn’t mind iron being what it currently is but silver/gold don’t seem to improve range-wise.
Gold grapple is the most expensive to make (rarity wise), so I was expecting something really cool, other people probably would too.
Will edit this post when I’ve tried gem grapples.

Curses! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

RATS! I was hoping this would be the patch we would see the portals released! Sooooooon…

4 Likes

@Havok40k agreed!

Road runners look cool but do they have any purpose(implemented or not) like an item you need to hunt them for?
Can you ride them?
Just curious since they are not a hostile mob what they were added for if not only to be aesthetically pleasing.

Are the roadrunners on starter worlds?

Eventually you will be able to get some sort of feather drops from them that you can use for crafting wearables.

1 Like

I have seen them on a starter world.

yes, i have seen tons around my house, killing them is not easy as they run very fast as they spot you from large distances. However it is only fun hunting them as 4 of which i killed only gave me tallow :smiley:

The roadrunners are rare in the home world. Maybe you can grab them using the grapple :wink:

2 Likes

rare? :o My house spawns like two every half an hour or so :smiley: I guess I am lucky then :grin:

Is it planned to get builder xp for chiselling? Think we should.

2 Likes

Hey, how do you get onto live? Do I need an access code, or is it just available in the speed store?

Live is just the normal version of the game (i.e. Not signed up to any beta or test versions)

1 Like

The grapple distance is really bad right now. It renders the grapple useless, even if you use relatively good grapples already. But for new people it is already difficult to get simple things, now they can’t even climb out of caves anymore so their luck to find some ores is practically zero.
Please reconsider. The distance was perfect just the way it was! The only thing that could be improved regarding grapples is how much you can retract or expand them, their speed and indeed, maybe add in a feature of the better grapples to make no fall damage. (even though you said its no feature it could be one)

As it stands, dual wielding 2 grapples, can get you out of any situation, true, grapples have been nerfed in the launch distance, but the speed of the pull is much better.

The different types of grapples bring variety to the game, and what game isn’t hard on the beginners.

Copper is fairly easy to find, gold is where it gets more difficult.

1 Like

Even the range on gold is extremely poor.

The shorter range has repercussions - more grapple swings/hits.

This means the tool durability has also shortened!

I feel range is fine, previously you fall and just grapple up again, now it involves a little thinking before doing. If durability is the issue, we can just allow more usage on the grapple, I don’t know about you guys, but grapples last me a very good time.

1 Like

Have you tried the gold grapple?