Release 176: Beacon Permissions, Daily and Weekly Tweaks and Portal Fixes

This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Overview:

This release promotes the recent Testing release to Live:

• Testing 175: Beacon Permissions, Daily and Weekly Tweaks, and Portal Fixes

Release Notes:

• Beacons
    • Added new beacon permission options: Builder, Worker, Engineer.
  • Daily and Weekly Objectives
    • Daily and weekly XP bonus requirements have been reduced.
    • Removed XP reward for daily and weeekly logins.
    • General fixes for various daily and weekly objective issues.
  • Portals
    • Improved smoothness whilst watching someone go through a portal that leads to the same world (may have caused you to occasionally see someone whoosing through the air at superspeed from the source to destination portal due to interpolation between server-updates!).
    • Fixed held items clipping badly/dissapearing near portals. The held items will now just render infront of the portal.
    • Fixed a crash when watching someone “flip” an open portal’s direction.

Known Issues:

The following items are known issues in this release.

• Pressing the Enter key on the Rename Beacon box will disable game functionality. Avoid this by clicking the Confirm option instead.
  • Breaking the Campfire during the initial tutorial will reset some objectives and display the ‘Build a Temporary Campfire’ objective again.
  • Cannot close Inventory when Chat is used.
  • Changing the Chunk Cache Size in fullscreen mode will disable game functionality.
  • Choosing Return to Sanctum option briefly displays ‘wrap error’ text on screen.
  • Clicking the Craft button very quickly may close the active recipe.
  • Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
  • Game displays welcome message for a world through a portal without going through it.
  • GUI rendered incorrectly on Intel HD graphics (and some AMD / GTX laptop GPUs) on Windows.
  • If the game (loader) fails to start on Windows 7 and 8 you may need to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
  • If you spend a skill point before the tutorial asks you to, you will be required to unlearn and relearn the skill again.
  • Item placed into Request Basket will disappear when placing the same item into storage.
  • Item wanted is completely different to what was placed there before on the Request Basket.
  • Items will occasionally be unable to smart stack with other items that belong in the same smart stack category.
  • Menus may constantly reappear on screen after closing them.
  • Number of available feats is incorrect.
  • Objectives & Feats - Some tasks are not being tracked correctly.
  • Opening or closing doors and trapdoors when standing too close to them will restrict player movement. To get out of the situation, interact with the door or trapdoor again.
  • Region names may not be displayed correctly after discovering one.
  • Request Baskets (previously Buying plinths) that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
  • Skill descriptions are not final.
  • Some feats are not shown on the GUI
  • Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon’s plots placed throughout the process.
  • Speech bubbles may still be displayed above players after going through portals.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Using D3DGear http://www.d3dgear.com/1 crashes the game on start up.
  • When Beacon fuel is nearly full, adding extra fuel will display a message saying that there are no consumable fuel items.
  • When expanding a smart stack offered by another player during trading, it will be empty.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.

Release 176.1

• Fix for crash when opening friends list when you have lots of friends.
  • Fix for occasional crash when travelling through portals.
8 Likes

Geez, is this the third release version today? What are they putting in the tea over there??

13 Likes

Maybe they switched to coffee! :scream:

12 Likes

An extra large quintuple shot cappuccino every hour?

5 Likes

They’re now taking coffee intravenously! It saves time :wink:

11 Likes

good that ensures the release will be on time :smile_cat:

6 Likes

But seriously… Tea>coffee…

2 Likes

This is the closest I’ve ever come to banning someone from the forum!

18 Likes

I’d argue that his statement falls outside of what the community would consider reasonable or civil, so it would be a totally valid ban.

We don’t need that sort of thing around here, DO IT!

(Fetches the ban hammer)

2 Likes

O. Clearly my stereotypical British views aren’t welcome here xD

9 Likes

We’re secretly all from Boston. :tea: :-1:

6 Likes

Wonderstruck is confirmed fake. Not from London, not really British
Or maybe only @james is a fake Brit

3 Likes

https://media.tenor.com/images/5655a3705bd881bea217bf367594260b/tenor.gif

11 Likes

(jeffro leaves the room) pretty sure this is about to get ugly!

5 Likes

I come from the future. The ban hammer got used. :joy:

7 Likes

9 Likes

@Dzchan94 @james

s p o o k e d

8 Likes

Poor @james! But seriously, all these recent tweaks are awesome. Keep drinking…whatever it is you’re drinking. :coffee::tea::sake::champagne::wine_glass::cocktail::tropical_drink::beer::beers::clinking_glasses::tumbler_glass::cup_with_straw::bacon: Thanks devs!

General feedback:

• @luke-turbulenz I felt like such a pro getting my daily XP bonus today – 9k-ish at level 38 is just about perfect to make it a thing I’ll get just by playing normally :clap: yay!

• Speaking as someone with only limited patience for mining, the combo of scaling block levels and the increased drop rates on harder worlds feels great! I’m having a lot more fun mining than I was before. There’s something about the mental effect of seeing three lumps of medium coal that makes it feel like my birthday, I dunno. :gift:

• Also loving the portal icons on the compass. Makes it so much easier to find my way back. And the capital cities one – it’s much easier to tell a new player “go towards the yellow icon” than try to hunt down coords for cities!

• Speaking of cities and colors. Maybe change the settlement icon to something other than grey? Because (at least in my head) grey gets associated with things that are defunct/dead/ruins instead of living cities – “greyed out” so to speak. Also because it blends with the purple portals.

• Eventually it might be nice if we could toggle things on/off on the compass. Especially in crowded areas, when the icons overlap.

• I like the color-coding bar for tool durability, very helpful.

• One more thing about colors, which I mentioned in some earlier release and then forgot to post a screenshot like @vdragon asked me to: depending on the color of the block you’re hitting, it can be hard to tell the difference between the full and empty parts of the block health bar. Like this:

Maybe you could put a shadow under the full part, or turn the empty part into an outline-bubble instead of a solid color? Or just change the color.:crayon:

9 Likes

To add to @cor-karolis nice post.

• Identification of settlement size based on the icon is not intuitive for me. Maybe try to reuse a small house icon and just continuously add one as settlement size increases? Instead of totally different one and imposes that “it’s better and bigger one”.

• Shop icon in compass. Helps us find one without running around the settlement looking for plinths. Could be quite tricky though as some people uses it as decoration with 9999999 coins or plain empty plinths.

• I thought I read somewhere that your beacon should always be visible in compass? I don’t think that is the case right now and it will be helpful if it will be.