Remove centraforge and replace with?

I agree that there are players that enjoy the grind and do feel a sense of achievement due to that being part of the game. I also agree it is a fine line to walk to keep the hardcore players that can play 20+ hours a week and the casual that maybe can play 5. There are probably more of the casual even if they do not spend the same per player on gleam club and cubits so I do not think wonderstruck can ignore them.

However with 1500 + hours in the game I would consider myself hardcore. It would not bother me to remove the RNG from the forge. But with the lack of content, I do not think they can remove the forge entirely as much as I do not like it personally. I think there needs to be challenges for the hardcore players but it does not have to be RNG. I have played several games for hundreds of hours and never felt they would be better if I was risking expensive resources on a gamble. I think the challenges are going to have to come though more content and maybe the Exo Planets and farming will offer the hardcore players some needed challenges. We shall see.

1 Like

I didn’t say crafting and gathering are too hard. I said that the crafting time are too long and gathering is time consuming. These are time sinks that could be shortened to something more reasonable so that players have less down time between activities they want to do.

Not everyone wants to build project after project. I feel like building just to build is ultimately boring. But that’s just me. I’d much rather have a whole menu of things to do outside of the tiny handful of things the game lets you do. The thing is, if you’re a builder and can spend less time crafting stuff and gathering stuff, you’d probably spend more time building your projects and making them better. It really wouldn’t stop you from doing what you’re doing already.

You keep saying this. You claim this game has a lot to do. The other areas of the game probably aren’t interesting enough to those players. What is there really to do other than gather and build? Hunting? That’s still gathering cause you aren’t killing creatures to just kill them since that’s a waste of slingbow durability.

Explore? Explore what? The 50 worlds we have? Why explore? You aren’t getting anything out of it other than wasting Grapple and slingbow durability.

Please explain to everyone what in the world there is to do other than gather, build, and run some sort of service in the game.

So you build & gather and mine?

I have seen 3 people mention, They mine, process & log.

You say you build, when you building if you mine and log off?

When do you hunt to gather Oort? When do you explore/gather from planets for mats?

If all you like to do is build and not interact with others and actually want to gather the resources needed to build, Then is this the right game? This is a sandbox MMO. Its meant for every person to do what they like but in a way that doesnt allow you to kill the market since thats what some enjoy. If you can farm and do everything in a few minutes. It kills the worth of that item. So you then kill the enjoyment of the shop owner people. Its all a circle.

Too easy = boring. And the hardcore people are the ones that will leave. Casual playes will just have to take their time. There are Sim & building games in single player that allow you to do what youre asking.

1 Like

What I do is I mine/gather load up my machines and log off versus standing around in the game for hours waiting for the crafting to finish. I go play other games and then when ever I decide to go back to boundless (be that the next day or the next week if I find another game I enjoy)the items are waiting. But if they were processed more quickly I might stay in game.

I do not gather Oort. I use the existing portal networks and do not operate a store or participate in the general player economy out of choice.

Shop keepers are only one part of the game and should not be favored by the developers over builders, hunters and other player roles in the game.

I will disagree with this being true. There are lots of ways to challenge players and your definition of easy and mine are very different. Your definition seems to link easy with how long something takes and mine is how complex the mechanics in the game are. The forge is complex to use, crafting is complex as it require multiple steps and materials and coils and spark to make certain items, building requires knowledge of chisels and figuring out how to make a design come to life. There is already complexity so a time sink purely for the sake of a time sink I think is just punishing for the casual player.

3 Likes

I really hate it when people throw this kind of ■■■■ into a discussion. Just cause I want things less time consuming so I can spend more time doing what I think is fun doesn’t mean the game isn’t for me. That call is only for me to make, not you, not a developer, or anyone else but me to make. I find it a little insulting that this is brought up whenever someone wants to suggest a change to this game.

How polarized people get over certain parts of this game is mind boggling.

First of all, it won’t kill the demand for items. What’s killing the demand for items is how plentiful of crafting materials a lot of players have. There’s an over supply of pretty much every single item in the game. Those players have thousands of individual crafting materials with nothing to dump it into. That’s the problem. Like you said, the game needs more content and that includes thousands of items that are going to allow for those crafting materials to be sunk into making stuff.

If you want to fix the economy, you need to start demanding we have alternative tools and weapons and craftable armor and hundreds of other crafting recipes in order to really see a good economy in this game. Cause right now it’s trash.

I don’t really play that much. Right now I am logged into the game to sort out some storage issues I never bothered to deal with and am more bored sitting around my apartment with nothing much to really do so I logged in to fix the storage issue.

I don’t inherently like building in this game. I do it when I need to so that I can do other things. That’s the only reason I’d build anything. I’d much rather use the plots for other things and seriously have been considering the idea of walling off a Diamond and Emerald hotspot just so I can have them for myself. Cause apparently the devs don’t care about that.

Nothing to build from last time you processed? what you doing with all these processed stone you have apparently?

Again, single player game option. This is a MMO. If you never participate, Then how you even know whats wrong with it all.

With all this in the game, then why are you mining processing and logging to play other games? Wouldnt it be awesome If you get involved with the other aspects? FOrging isnt that bad once you learn how.
And all these other steps are needed to make the game feel rewarding.

Again youre asking to dumb the game down.

Casual players & MMOs dont usually get along. MMOs are not meant to be a 30 mins a day thing. They take time.

Polarized in the sense that a casual player should play MMOs 30 mins a day and keep up with the others putting in more time? Ironic.

I have in every post about this subject.

If they are soooo plentiful, then why are we here asking for it to be even easier?

If you dont like building, then why we talking about gathering mats to build?

1 Like

Well this is really off topic :joy: let’s just shut it down

1 Like

By thoughts exactly Blackmage.

Its not. and every post made about making things super easy. Is about the fact itll make less things worth achieving.

Would much rather the devs create more content, Expand the game instead of taking the little skill needed out of the game by making forging just insert and click.

1 Like

We dont always see eye to eye, but you are spot on

2 Likes

Agreed way off topic

Edit and partially my fault. sorry

I won’t tell you my numbers, but I wouldn’t consider myself all that casual and am still an advocate of the gum change. You’re afraid of more competition in the shops and demand falling, thus tanking the economy. But the economy shouldn’t be fixed with an rng machine where the rng can’t be influenced enough to make it possible, with resources, to remove the rng. The problem with the economy is the deflation, coin is starting to become something you don’t want to spend since it’s so rare. Every economy booms when there’s small inflation.

Also, the rng machine could be replaced by an even better system that requires more player skill than luck.

The other problem is possibly that the money doesn’t find the demand or it’s too hard to sell the resources you might want to sell, but that is just speculation.

Insert plug about
:oort_r: Request Dimension :oort_z: Now Open! (request-basket-only-mall)

These are just the feelings I’ve had during my playtime, I don’t buy things that much since I either need all the materials I do gather, and since I’m pretty much gathering all the time and I still don’t have any extra, my few coins start looking a lot more precious than they should probably be looked at. And I’m not even that casual with 700 hours atm.

3 Likes

Some people think by removing rng from crafting forged gear it’s going to destroy the economy. If you can’t think of another idea besides rng based forging then this thread isn’t for you and you should go post a thread giving your reasons why it should stay. :roll_eyes:

• I personally play way more then what I should I’m no casual player by any means I log on for hours every day I make my own gear I hunt I build and that’s about it. If I’m up for the long process of getting mats myself I will go farm them.

• this game has several different ways it could change the rng centraforge into something more skill based and progression based.

• this game is lacking any real concept of progression with the release of new content and eventually a complete overhaul of the leveling system and crafting times/requirements this game will start to have a definitive progression.

• in my opinion skill based should start to replace rng. What is actually good about rng yea it limits the amount of success in the centraforge but so can a skill based progression.

• if this game is about an alien race who came into contact with advanced civilization technology they dnt just roll the dice and get lucky. They progress from wood tools to stone to metal to gem to whatever else and with that progression they would start to learn how to use this alien tech. So if we could change 1 thing in my opinion it would be removed 90% of rng over the course of some sort of progression that eventually allows you to become skilled in the area that you are progressing in.

• I would suggest either timed button click or the more you use the centraforge the more you craft a certain something the better at it you become allowing you to craft higher level items. Thus creating a real market for skilled players you could break this down as much as needed to allow more players to make a stand in the market. You can break it down the more you work on a certain tool the more skill you you gain then once a threshold has been acquired you would move up to ores then to gems

• the amount of skill points a person gets would be scaled to not make it so you will get the best gear the first day but not make it so a casual gamer would never achieve the best gear either.

• this is my idea of how I would like to see the rng changed into something else others may not like it but it adds progression

• just like craftable armor in the game something I greatly wantto see in boundless. If this game had tiered craftable armor that gave environmental protection it would create a bit more of progression instead of just farming levels after a couple days to survive on t6 planets.

• for me if I feel like I’m progressing in a game and able to do side things like hunt, fish, build, farm, ect Then I would feel like the grind isn’t really there. But that’s just my opinion

3 Likes

Then solve that first before making any changes to the forging process.

Problem is tho, if it becomes so easy that everyone can do it reliably forgery shops will stop selling those items. Which means, in my case for example, that also half of my request baskets will disappear. And it means I have less coin overall so the baskets I put up for mats I really do not need in order to help lower level players will be gone too.

All that’s then left are the baskets for brews and pies, but those have been dropping in price so much already that it’s starting to become silly to even want to try to continue with that, especially as one’s sole income.

Besides, the trend with these things is that then peope are going to ask for shorter crafting times on everything inluding pies and brews, oh wait, that’s already been done, then they ask for recipe changes so it will be easier for everyone to make them.

Because that’s how I see this going. If devs give in to this who’se to say they won’t do the same for all the other items in the game.

In the end I can then close my shops that sell and buy since no one is buying and I need less and less mats myself.

I could think I might be able to make some coin by selling to baskets myself, but those will end up in the same situation…

So no, making these kind of huge changes now seems rather unwise.

And honestly, I don’t get why people are even asking for this. If I can run a shop with forged goods and apparently can get the results that I want most of the time is it then really that bad as people think that want these changes? I don’t think so…

2 Likes

Oh and the gum change still leaves rng in there, the intra-gum boon selection, so would making 4 gums cut out a small part of the rng be that much? I mean it’s something like 90% now with 4 gums but you can’t get it to 100% even with 8, that’s considerable investment in trying to minimize rng in that one roll of many. We have rng on the sliders as well.

edit: Wait, this is not that other centraforge thread, ■■■■.
edit2: Yeah I thought we were talking about this :sweat_smile:

God I need sleep…

If they introduce a coin machine then the request baskets are not as necessary for the economy to run. The coin machine becomes another way to introduce coin into the game and the request baskets are for gathering materials to craft.

Its weird, I know of quite a few skilled forgers that put out a TON of tools with 0 quirks and 0 defects at rank 350+. That is already skill based. Its all in the process people use. It is already skill.

Most that want this RNG out is all because quirks/defects. If you get them a lot, then change your process.

You do realize this will HUGELY benefit the hardcore 10+ hours day players over the casual, hence will create a WHOLE different argument about “I cant do this because in a casual player”

I will agree on it needs more gear, and the addition of farming, and ideas like fishing would help create side objects to explore & create.

1 Like

But if people don’t need coin badly enough since they can get it easily elsewhere then why gather spicy beans and sell if you can smash up some rocks much easier and sell those instead?

It means that prices go up for those reqeusted mats, which means the pices of the goods that they are used in go up as well.

I would think this is probably true, but have players not been saying that the only thing holding value is forged tools and would this not make other items more valuable in a store? At least players might be able to afford them.