Water plus rocks in the compactor makes thickened water

Just like water but with increased opacity

Aka water 1.0

Who says we can’t have it all.

6 Likes

blink blink blink

:thinking:

Do eet.

Edit: if they make it a seperate fluid from normal water they could even make a colored water recipe.

4 Likes

This would be awesome. We could use one of the paint machines, or make dyes and apply it to water? (In masses and smart stacks too)

3 Likes

This is a somewhat recent statement, probably relevant here…

1 Like

not so much here (for original request. for note on colour, yes certainly relevant). this would be a different type of liquid, rather than a different colour of water, just 1 extra type compared to 254 extra colours. We have space for 3 more liquid types in the data; though personally not sure “murky water” is worth 1 of them.

9 Likes

How about eggnog. That seems worthy enough

2 Likes

Sorry but I’d rather have liquid oort…for fueling automation in the future

5 Likes

And/Or some kind of good ol’ green acid liquid?
And/Or something that would look like some kind of glowy blue/purple energy liquid which regenerates health when swimming in it?

4 Likes

Some sort of semi sticky goo would be nice

I think it would be worth it to have “murky water” as one of the types.

If by murky water, you’re still thinking of the water as it looked before the last update, I agree with Lucadeltodecso, it’s not worth the sacrifice. I’d rather let the dev re-work the actual water more.

I don’t think we’re gonna get back old water though. New water might get a liiiittle more opaque but I doubt it’s gonna change much.

Me like new water…

3 Likes

Why? This can not be changed some how? I am curious to why or how this limitation exists

1 Like

liquid data is stored in 8bits, and there isnt enough space for more than 3 more liquids as most of the bits are used for storing flow-state, we could add hundreds of more liquids if we moved to 16bit, but would also double the memory/bandwidth.

8 Likes

I see, ok, thank you for the response.

I was trying to find another post you or some other dev made mentioning that (on the space available for more types), but I couldn’t and someone else mentioned tinting water. :slight_smile:

Coloured water would be awesome but it seems not doable. I’m torn with the new water, in some cases I like the transparency, I have a water wall in my underground base which has a cave behind it and now you can see the cave in silhouette and it looks awesome, but in my Aquatopia shop, where I used water as a corner column to hide the beacon it’s now very visibke and the whole effect looks a bit poo.

Space can always be increased further :thinking::grimacing:

1 Like

Don’t! \ o_o /

1 Like

What if one of those 3 liquids is ‘coloured water’ and only when the game sees that it has to receive/send/store one extra byte for the colour data?
This means that everything that is as it is now will not change the memory/bandwidth but only when you use the new water type.

Or, use the remaining bits to designate the number of additional bytes needing to be received/send/stored opening up 100’s of additional liquid types besides thickened and coloured water…

Of course no idea how flexible the current system is, but I’ve done some optimisations in the past using a serialisation system like this for sending data over the internet, even sending out numbers of 32 and 64 bits in size where they only actually send the needed info (ie. less than 4/8 bytes in most cases but still allowing for really large numbers when needed).

Also depends of course on the engine on the client itself, if it has the room to store it uncompressed in memory or not.