Testing 212: Poles, Beams and Letter boxes!

If I may jump in too, maybe gates occupy 2 or more blocks per “door” so basically theyre wider than the doors we have?

1 Like

Can the poles or beams be chiseled?
If so, do they simply rotate?

Yes, that would be neat too, not just as ‘gates’ but for doors as well. The proportions for the existing doors can get weird for using in larger buildings. Castle gates and such.

(reminds me of drawbridges :heart_eyes:)

2 Likes

We already do this for torches on slopes. The torch occupies the block above the slope but is offset down onto the slope (so hardly any of it is inside it’s own block).

2 Likes

But we only support offsets on simple meshes. Offsetting a multi-voxel sign would be much more complicated. (And I don’t believe any of the offset meshes have player collision.)

3 Likes

Are the matching fences coming to?

Edit:
From Minyis post there are poles, beams and fences.

You can use them to make a fence. It’s purely cosmetic though…the creatures are able to come inside.

5 Likes

Gates please!!!

Or a second set of poles/beams that go along the edges of the voxels would work. They could be used as trim on full blocks, and would be usable with the current doors.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good point. Can creatures walk past the pole if it’s up against a block?

I can see use cases for both centered poles and edge aligned poles.

The centered poles offer new aesthetic possibilities in builds where previously you were limited to spark link.

The edge aligned poles play nicely with existing meshes like doors and signs which are also edge aligned.

This is a conundrum! I can see this coming up more and more as mesh decos get added and the combinatorial matrix grows.

4 Likes

They can all hop over it since it’s one block high

1 Like

Just have to make it two blocks high then.

1 Like

Ahhh, what if there’s a second beam layer? Can they make it through the gap in the beams?

I was really hoping to see a new, blue topic today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tomorrow; they generally update on Tuesdays.

1 Like

@james Thanks for this, it works flawlessly.

Could something like that be added for tool ?

Oh, yeah. It’s only Monday

Indeed, but we usually would have seen the server maintenance warning for quite a few hours already…

Yes it could be - but it’s not enabled by default as “you nerfed my mining speed” is a concern.