Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

So I created a topic and realized halfway through that I don’t know how skins will even work in creative mode. We can get unlimited cubits with cheat pies. I tagged James in that post but thought I’d mention it here too.

Actually cheat loafs do not work in creative. You get no xp from eating them. I tested it this morning.

also without access to the debug menus you wouldnt be able to give yourself them anyways

1 Like

I’m sure there’s something wrong with this idea I’m not seeing right now. But, what if there was only allowed 1 creative to survival portal(only placeable by owner{maybe even with a new type of conduit}), infinite creative to creative and lastly any amount of portals opened on survival to creative.

It would still allow players to hop around and it’s still possible to make a hub on a creative but it wouldn’t be a free hub. Though it would potentially force a creative player to play in survival if they wanted more than one portal open leading from their planet to survival

Local sandbox, how do you access this?

I did this post a bit ago, so it may have changed some… but worth looking at.

also take a look at these

1 Like

do we need portals to move between creative and survival?

I suggested it somewhere else - maybe it drowned in flood of posts or maybe it is a silly idea, but I will repeat it anyway.

1. Replace the creative skill page with a creative alt. In other words, to visit creative worlds we would have to use a separate alt - our existing (and future) survival alts would only be able to travel between survival worlds. That way you avoid players entering different creative worlds with different and/or multiple characters, which can only help with avoiding possible abuse.
  2. Make traveling to/from creative worlds possible via Sanctum only. Go to Sanctum from any survival world. Switch to the creative alt. Access any creative world from Sanctum, that is 1. orbiting the world that has just been left, 2. you have permission to visit.
    When creative alt is active, the left portal can only lead to the last location on previously visited creative world that is available from the current survival world (if none available, it remains closed) and the right portal opens from location list in player’s menu, making creative worlds attached to the current survival world available (might be a random location on a creative world without beacons, or the capitol of accessible creative world that has beacons already or any previously saved attached creative world locations).
    Obviously, the creative alt could only have creative worlds listed in locations list.
  3. So - if I switch to a survival alt of mine, I don’t “see” creative worlds when in Sanctum, and vice versa: when I switch to the creative alt of mine, I cannot “see” survival worlds.

That way creative worlds can be connected with free portals of any size and range - full fun for all when visiting creative worlds.
At the same time no matter how far you travel using creative worlds portal networks, when switching back to survival alt, you land back when you left it.

Question: since separate creative alt would only see creative worlds, would it work for it to have a home (free warp) beacon on one of the owned creative world?

P.S. I have no idea how things look from programming point of view, so this idea might be simply impossible to implement (conflicting with some important parts of warping/location/alt-switching logic).

5 Likes

James: Is there a way to denote which planet a player enters into when going from a survival planet to a creative one? For instance, I go from survival planet “S” to Creative planet “C”. My character then gets tagged with an “S.” I can only re-enter the survival planet network via “S” planet, or “Sanctum.”

Just in case Soju’s links did not help (took me a bit of playing with it even with instructions from those links when I first started using it):

1.) Hit F1 while in the sanctum. In the top right click “(F1) Menu”
2.) From list of options choose “creative”
3.) Click “start discovery server”. Wait a second and move the pop-up window out of the way.
4.) Create a new creative server, filling in the parameters however you want
5.) Once your creative world is listed, click “start” underneath it. Wait until it says “complete: yes”
6.) Click “force teleport”. Choose “yes” at the prompt if you get it
7.) Walk through the portal to the left to leave sanctum. Enjoy your flat creative world!

1 Like

As I suggested earlier, allow creative worlds to connect to eachover ONLY if they both orbit the same survival world, that way even if you link them to eachover its impossible to create a network

1 Like

We want portals so all players can find the planet. If it was in sanctum it wouldn’t allow organic traffic. We need to open the game to more content made by players, not less. This portal option so people can have easy access is will help grow the game.

1 Like

I’m sure there is a way.

Like knowledge tab. In worlds section, show all creative worlds attached to each survival world present on player’s list.
Then you will know where to go to travel to any creative world.

Also, you need to know just one creative world location (what survival world it is attached to). You go to Sanctum from the same location every time, you switch to your creative alt, and then you freely move between free portals between creative worlds (creative worlds portal hubs giving you knowledge about entire creative sub-universe and providing easy movement from just one point of entry for every player - even though each player can have different point of entry, they all find journey through creative worlds easy thanks to portal network within the creative universe ).

It pains me to say this as I want to have a free hub myself, but I can agree with Vansten :pensive:

I would like to offer another solution for flexibility:

Limit the number of conduits opened to the survival worlds to 20 (example).
The number of conduits (or portal) within the same creative world is still unlimited

For example, the creative world is orbiting lasaina, I’d use 2 conduit to connect to lasaina. I’d use 3 conduits to lutrion and 4 conduits to boori. Then I made 2 portals to boori (8 conduits), 6 portals to lasaina (12 conduits)

Now that I have 20 conduits used in total, I can no longer open another portal until I remove the older portal.

With this limitation, people can make a small hub, but I think this would not disrupt the existing hub.
People can open a portal to a farther planet but then they couldn’t be able to open many of those.

Was also thinking this:

1. Players with enough knowledge won’t have problems with finding creative worlds without portals. Is a few step operation going to hurt creative worlds (I mean how much traffic they get from players)? Is getting traffic even the main reason for creative worlds to exist? And even if yes, is it important for creative world owners to get some accidental traffic from lost new players who can’t even appreciate and or understand what they discovered fully?
  2. New players for a change get confused by many things, including traveling through easily accessible portal hubs and landing on worlds where they got defeated by stronger creatures or an unexpected problems with atmosphere. Is instantaneous access to creative worlds via portals in hubs a desirable thing for new players who hardly know what is what?

Imagine newbies landing on a creative worlds just because there was a portal available and they got curious. Now they get super confused as there are no drops, no xp or coins coming. Some weird rules within that world. So maybe it would be better if getting on your first creative world required some basic experience and knowledge (Need to know that 1. there are creative worlds 2. i need to create a special alt 3. I need to check knowledge tab to see what creative worlds are available form my current location, or somewhere near 4. i need to go to sanctum and switch to my creative alt to warp to that world 5. WOW! creative worlds have massive portal networks that are free to maintain and can take me anywhere so fast!)

There is no character switching or ‘creative alt’ required with this implementation.

If there was it would solve this and, potentially, other problems.

A hard 1 or even 2 blinksec limit on portals would help to address the larger issue regarding travel hubs, but other than a worldwide limit on the number of open portals there’s nothing to stop someone from linking up every region or even every build on the public world they’re orbiting

Total conduits in use is an interesting take on the matter from @Hela. But without the blinksec limit, it may still allow for a regional hub or at least linking together most of the public worlds that a primarily creative mode player cares to visit.

Also worth noting many players have posted that they would rather pay cash to fuel portals than hunt for or buy oortstones. If there are no restrictions on portals between creative worlds then even the 1 blinksec restriction on outgoing portals won’t stop networks from forming on the creative side.

1 Like

exactly, and that’s why I suggested to change the approach and make creative worlds accessible via separate alt instead of separate skill page on any alt

you have to go back to my previous post (the whole suggestion) that xaldafax replied to, and then prompted my reply you are quoting here; so, what you quoted me saying was based on my previous suggestion, where I pointed out that maybe we could fix the whole creative-survival connection mess by throwing away the skill-page based access to creative worlds (and building portals) and making creative worlds available through separate alt (and use Sanctum to warp instead of building portals)

Some other games do it this way - different character, different inventory. Some even require a password or direct invite from the founder/owner. It works fine, it’s intuitive, players are used to it.

Portal access seems to be the last big issue they are trying to solve. I’d like to see a 1-2-3 type list showing which solutions they might consider, if any, or if they’re going to leave the portals as they are now.

1 Like

I agree to have a blinksec limit. I originally want to use blinksec as a limit, but I think it’d be easier to use conduits as a limit. In some way, the minimum number of conduits required represents the distance of a planet, but it’s not entirely accurate.

With portals being free, would it be possible to build one into a wall, open it to another portal on the planet, cover it with glass, then build a scene or pixel art on the other end that would show up as a portrait??

Can someone please test this? I feel like it’s my best idea ever :nerd_face:

1 Like

I can see people being upset about their inmersion in the game being ruinned by this tho.