Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

I’m surprised how ok I am with this idea :thinking:

4 Likes

Interesting thought, but I think I have the answer. First though, in response to the coin comment, I agree it will be weird if you only play single player and rack up useless coins over time but they can’t really do away with them because we are going to be able to play multi in our universes and people will likely want to start their own shops. Possible solution would be linking coin to your account (still keeping private and mmo separate) so if you join someone else’s universe you will have all that coin.

The devs did mention in one of these threads that there may be some bigger differences between modes to make single player less grindy since there won’t be a big economy. Maybe there will be a shop of sorts that will allow you to spend coin for mats.

To the main point I want to make- we can mod these universes! I hope I’m not getting too hype about it, apparently this LUA script isn’t super common, but MODS!!! Single player games thrive on mods. As much as I’d like to delve into human psychology, I think we all know the average gamer gets tired of games after a few weeks or once they’ve gotten/done everything the game offers. I genuinely believe Minecraft would have lived and died as niche as Boundless is if there weren’t mods. Think about how much activity spikes after each update, then imagine there are hundreds of player-made updates adding whole new experiences to the game. You’ll have your villagers (I think I mentioned in this thread that MC villagers were created by the people who made the millenaire mod long before they were added to vanilla), you’ll get new weapons, new enemies, and new activities. And if modding is as successful as I hope then some of the best ones may just be added to the mmo.

I hope this still is the case and I’m not just letting my imagination run wild with something I read once :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

And sand worms…

Is it really single player when you are spinning up a server on your local pc?

1 Like

Just using the term “single player” to represent the local universe mode. @epoling was talking about literally playing single player so I wanted to note that even if you spend 99% of your time solo, you can still run the server and play with other people who might enjoy supplying builders on that server for coin.

Again, I’m not totally certain that’s how it will work. If it is, then it validates the value of coin in local universes.

Has some of this gone live?

I’ve seen bumps in audio quality, and the graphics seem cleaner … and … … and it’s not raining so much on Sochy :wink:

1 Like

I think there was an update to one of the supporting libraries, not the game itself. It looked like Microsoft updating the software <-> windows interface.

2 Likes

Cheers, I haven’t had any MS updates, though.

Did you mean Steam? As I saw some substantial steam update, too.

Just definitely got a Boundless update that I had to wait to go before the game started.

1 Like

If there are updates to directx, c# distributables, etc, those would come through Steam. They are prerequisite installs that games use, but are made by Microsoft, not by the developers. I don’t know how Steam handles this, but when the update ran for me, I definitely saw one distributables being updated, and the update tab in the settings for Boundless says the last update to Boundless itself was on Feb 2.

2 Likes

Ahhhh …yis … dx … that makes sense, actually, would perhaps account for the seemingly more buff visuals, and sound … cheers, Ry!

1 Like

Yeah it would be fun for sure… Maybe with the creature update when we get Warp Wrath and the Basher we can get a Sand Worm that leaves temporary tunnels in its wake. I’ll have to add that to my list for the next time I chat.

6 Likes

Are there any news that it is being worked on? That’d be a welcome addition!

1 Like

I brought it up a couple months ago but it wasn’t added to anything… but then again they were working on the current or past update (I forget) and they like to keep their heads down focused on 1 at a time. But, I’d expect some creature update at some point in the near few updates. It’s something that is needed.

3 Likes

Cookie Monster is Coming Mwahahahaha

5 Likes

Not that you asked for it, but here are some level 160(live)/103(test) builds. One is all combat and mining skills, the other is all crafting skills.

I figured this might be interesting to anyone anxiously awaiting the skills changes.

Combat & mining:

Crafting:

With these two sheets, you can do basically everything. The only need for additional sheets at this level would be if you wanted to have specific shadow step and/or armor type combat specialization builds.

9 Likes

I’d like to learn about this. :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Woo hoo we can post again!
Loving the testing!

2 Likes

Sooo looking forward to seeing this update going to live servers

1 Like

I am also happy if it comes live but it will probably not come until 2022 if it goes on like this it was said of about 3 weeks there will be another test update in 1 week but it’s already about 3 weeks Lord, I still know of a year there was a new update almost every month and now maybe 2 more a year I think it’s a shame

2 Likes