Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Yea, the planet generation solution must be trickier then they thought. Rest of the update looks like it is pretty ready, so just waiting on the solo universe stuff.

I am hopeful that it is before the end of March, but it will be ready when it is ready.

2 Likes

more time to level up :+1:

3 Likes

I mean, its partly because people refuse to upgrade computers and the complain about not being able to run a mmo server on their old computer.

Then you add in something like steam has a 2 hour refund policy so if they spend 1.5 hours making a planet, play for 30 minutes and cant refund the game if they dont like it… that results in a lot of negative comments.

5 Likes

Why will it be possible to host your own local servers? - Do you want to close the official servers?

this feature (single player /local) was promised a long ago and it is a feature that most games like this have from the start (not everyone wants to just jump into mmo for a variety of reasons (or let their young kids into mmo (boundless is rated 7+)

-more options = wider audience
-possibility of mod support ( can’t really have custom mods in mmo other than some minor visual stuff)

and if they decide to shut down official servers, we’ll still have a functional game instead of nothing

1 Like

You are not afraid of losing everything that you have built up here? - I’m afraid, because to me this patch sounds like it is going in the direction of Minecraft, so according to the motto, make your own server here and it’s good we close the official ones. And I think that’s a shame, I don’t have a lot yet, but it would be a reason for me to never touch Boundless again and never again to invest a cent in the game.

2 Likes

they aren’t shutting it down any time soon (as far as we know) what I described is the worst case scenario

what is more likely to happen is that more people buy the game because it also has the new sp/ local feature and they will try the mmo as well

3 Likes

Was 11 days ago actually :sweat_smile: but whose really keeping track of what’s going on, on the forums. It’s just chaos nowadays.

Well, I’m certainly not going anywhere until the game draws its final breath haha. And even then they’ll have to drag me away… :wink:

6 Likes

Well if their perm worlds were to be offline our stuff should(theoretically) go to reclaim and we’d be able to get our stuff while on sov worlds which we pay for. And there’s plenty of those worlds about and I can think of a few that have 30+ weeks on them with more time being added when needed

1 Like

Yeah, they’re not going to shut the servers down. Not while people are paying for sovereign planets :slight_smile:

1 Like

The local universe thing didn’t appeal to me at first, but the more I think about it, the more excited I get

I am pretty sure that is not how that works.

The only reason core worlds would go offline, is when they give up on hosting the game or are otherwise forced to abandon it. Which means the login servers are also going to be gone, and if that happens, then even if for some reason your sov server was still online (which is very unlikely as they would shutdown all servers) it would be inaccessible.

1 Like

Coulda sworn there was a few games right now that don’t have any official servers and only player hosted ones. No servers but still have accounts. So that should be a possibility with this game to I would think.
Also if I have a lot of time on my worlds(which I will) I’d expect to get reimbursed some how if all of a sudden my world/char etc was gone as I’m paying for the hosting of my worlds

Yeah, games like [the thing that Noah built] - I don’t know anyone who uses the official servers - they tend to be horrendous. But the player ones are awesome!

Boundless has a massive advantage over games like that, that the official MMO servers are AWESOME!

2 Likes

I don’t really see that happening unless they either put all of the core world save files up for people to download and host them on their own locally hosted universe.

or

They at least keep the login servers running to handle the connections to the sov worlds, but if they have the infrastructure and funds to keep the login servers running, then there is no reason why they can not keep the core world servers running as well.

There may be something else I am overlooking, I am no expert in the area. But this is just how I understand and see it.

It brings me no joy to say this, but there have been plenty of games that decided to take a ride to Defunctland which had high paying Whales who lost everything they “Invested” into that game. So you should expect to get nothing in the event of a worst possible scenario situation.

If you are lucky maybe you might get something back, but that should not be the expectation. otherwise you are kind of pulling the wool over your own eyes.

But I think it is highly unlikely the servers will be shutdown, they should be making more then enough money from the Sov worlds to beable to keep everything online.

I only see the servers shutting down if one of the following happens,
A larger company buys them out and forces them to shut down the servers.
They some how grossly mismanaged their finances to the point of going bankrupt
Something burns down and they don’t have backups and everything is destoryed.
Everyone in the company quits or otherwise gives up and shuts it all down
Or some other extremely bad Black Swan Event.

Otherwise I really don’t see any reason for anyone to be concerned about the servers shutting down

6 Likes

There are no plans to close the MMO servers - the game is able to support them financially. This isn’t the perfect explanation but one of the reasons for this release — Steam has a basic expectation that if you offer “paid private servers” that you will also offer free servers (in this case local). All the other games on Steam have this and Boundless didn’t. That needed to be fixed and since the Sovereign worlds were released, now was the best time to get it out of the way. Soon they will meet that expectation and can move on to new content and solving other complaints people have…

12 Likes

2019-2020 year of wipe concern over players gossip and speculation.

2021-2022 year of shutting down servers over players gossip and speculation.

2022-2023 year of pants?

:joy:

8 Likes

This one will be a permanent one. It will show up on every testing.

Is there a new update that doesn’t satisfy me? GAME IS DEAD THEN

2 Likes

Would this update be considered the largest update since full release? I don’t think farming or sovereigns included this much content.

From what I gather for this update it’ll include:

Local universes
Single player
Shields
Swords
New skills
Revamp skill tree
Revamp progression
Revamp goo
Portal fuel additions

Anything I’m missing?

8 Likes