Testing 27: Smart Spawning, Less Lag and more!

This update is accessible via the Steam Beta “Testing” release of Boundless.

The release will be accessible as “Testing” until the start of next week, whilst we resolve issues with the playing community. When this additional polish is complete the release will be promoted to Steam “Live” for all players.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Release Notes:

• Player spawning:
    • Initial player spawning fully implemented so that new players to the game will always spawn in a nice safe location that isn’t in an ocean, a cave or on a three-d island and not on steep terrain or on-top of trees or inside of beacons.
    • There are 3 modes to the initial player spawning, though until we have a menu only one is available:
      • Near beacons: spawn near beacons that exist on your spawn world
      • Away from beacons: spawn ‘near-ish’ beacons so that a beacon will be reasonably close to your location.
      • Wilderness: spawn ‘very’ far from beacons that exist on your spawn world, in the hopefully untouched wilderness.
  • Art:
    • Rotated the new totem model 180 degrees so the totem ammo can be clearly seen in 1st person view
    • Added a whole bunch of positioning fixes for items held in 1st and 3rd person and seen in the GUI.
  • Worldbuilder:
    • Additional placeholder colors can be seen in the world builder. These will be recolored at some future point.
    • Fix client connect to worldbuilder and worldbuilder not being able to open files for some people
  • Engine:
    • Fixes for lag issues when clients run at a lower framerate.
    • Fixes for z-fighting of lava/water against terrain far from (0,0) in the world.
  • GUI + HUD:
    • Fixed bug allowing puting down items to readOnly slots.
    • Improved the budget interaction in selling plinth.
  • Shop Plinths:
    • Fixed bug with transacions in selling plinths.

Known Issues:

The following items are known issues in this release.

• Some of the items displayed in the inventory screen are not positioned correctly.
  • Some of the items are not positioned in the hand correctly when the players are seen in 3rd person view.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Some items in player hands in 3rd person view are huge (e.g. Power Core).
  • Sometimes the animation for left handed tools do not swing continuously.
9 Likes

For reference, which of the 3 modes is the currently available one?

Close to other players in the game is the default at the moment. (Most people complain about not seeing other players in the worlds.) In the future new players will be given control over this option.

5 Likes

Perfect. Wanted to know what to look for in testing. Thanks!

2 Likes

Just spawned in. Surrounded by trees but ON land. Close to another player. Seems to be working well to me.

However, my inventory seems to be ok. I thought there was a wipe?

I asked James earlier in the discord and he said they weren’t able to get the wipe ready today. Will happen next week.

1 Like

I have a question about the compass tracking thing. I see 2 things atm on my compass, pink houses and greenish teal houses. So… how do I distinguish my pink house from everyone else and what do greenish teal houses mean? Also is there no way to be able to activate to track my other waypoints?

Pink house is your beacon and teal house is other players beacons.

Ok, nvm I think I figured it out. I was far enough from my beacon that I could have run in either direction to get to it.

Try to use the search bar in the top right corner of this web site.

red icons are beacons of you and your friends(if they added you to it) green means the opposit

Design question: What is the point of 4 workbenches, 4 compactors, 4 extractors, 4 refineries, 4…?

If you can make all of them in a single craft, why take up so much space by having so many? I thought my house was pretty sizeable, but after filling up with four of each thing it’s getting a bit cramped.

Why can’t there just be one block of each that can be upgraded. Maybe have a beginner one have less slots and no power, but as they upgrade they get spark and more slots. Maybe require a level 3 whatever to make a certain item…or so.

2 Likes

wrong place to put bugs… sorry

Just Reading the title of this topic makes me happy

1 Like