This update is accessible via the Steam Beta “testing” release of Boundless.
Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.
Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.
Players can now create Warps (and Portals once released) within a single world. Stuck in a hole? Then build a Warp back to your beacon. Want to go nowhere? Create a location, build a warp, walk forwards and appear back where you started.
We’ve also updated the networking libraries used in the client and server to their latest versions. Hopefully this, along with some additional tweaks to the server’s handling of connections will improve performance for players experience latency issues. The server will also kick players when their connection has become unstable. In the past the server allowed clients to continue playing but this resulted in a very poor experience. If you’re kicked please restart and try lowering your bandwidth limit in the game options.
- Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
- Grapple beam effects.
- New controls. Grapples can be independently controlled with the left and right trigger/bumper buttons (+ d-pad down to release the oldest grapple) on a pad, and pulled/relaxed with ‘r’ and ‘f’ respectively on a keyboard.
- The majority of grapples no longer jerk you towards a grappled block when they connect.
- Change view button moved from ‘r’ to ‘v’ on keyboard.
- GUI + HUD:
- Compass reskin using new assets.
- Added passive and aggressive enemies in the compass. Presentation still WIP.
- Warps + Portals:
- Can now open warps to locations on the same world, these warps have a still temporary, but lower price of 300 compared to the usual cost of 500 coins.
- Unbroken, activated warps will now convert after 1 minute to a dormant warp state instead of automatically opening, wherein they may be re-activated for free to the same destination.
- Chunk downloading rate correctly saved in the game options.
- Expose send error reasons so we can kick people when sends are failing.
- Track error states on the protocol and kick players with protocol errors.
- Update server connection processing to better resist players with slow connections hurting performance.
- Update client and server networking libraries to latest versions.
- Buying plinths that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
- Chat text overlaps with HUD Text in the centre of the screen.
- Chat UI overlaps with Game Log UI.
- Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
- Gem grappling hooks retract automatically when hanging.
- Grappling hooks will occasionally be left on the ground.
- Grappling hooks will occasionally go through blocks.
- Occasional crash may occur when using grappling hook.
- Shift-clicking an item from the selling plinth will show odd numbers and will not always go in the shopping basket.
- Shift-clicking and dragging on the coin icons from within the trading menus may cause a crash.
- Some Extractor machines lack animation.
- Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon’s plots placed throughout the process.
- The recipes are not final.
- Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.