Release 153: Intra World Warps and Grapples!

This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Overview:

This Live release publishes Testing 31 and Testing 32 to Live.

Release Notes:

• Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
    • Grapple
      • Grapple beam effects.
      • New controls. Grapples can be independently controlled with the left and right trigger/bumper buttons (+ d-pad down to release the oldest grapple) on a pad, and pulled/relaxed with ‘r’ and ‘f’ respectively on a keyboard.
      • The majority of grapples no longer jerk you towards a grappled block when they connect.
      • Change view button moved from ‘r’ to ‘v’ on keyboard.
  • Creatures + Combat:
    • Fix creatures spawning inside player beacons.
    • The Tier 3 Spitter has an updated mesh and textures in line with other new creatures, supporting tinting and decals.
  • GUI + HUD:
    • Added animations in the combat and chat log.
    • Added new gain hud log.
    • Added passive and aggressive enemies in the compass.
    • Compass reskin using new assets.
  • Warps + Portals:
    • Can now open warps to locations on the same world, these warps have a still temporary, but lower price of 300 compared to the usual cost of 500 coins.
    • Unbroken, activated warps will now convert after 1 minute to a dormant warp state instead of automatically opening, wherein they may be re-activated for free to the same destination.
  • Engine:
    • Added monitoring of chunk download bandwidth on the debug screen and implemented rate limiting (setting in the options menu) of the chunk downloads to try and help with lag issues.
    • Chunk downloading rate correctly saved in the game options.
    • Expose send error reasons so we can kick people when sends are failing.
    • Track error states on the protocol and kick players with protocol errors.
    • Unload chunks over multiple frames to make portal transitions smoother.
    • Update client and server networking libraries to latest versions.
    • Update server connection processing to better resist players with slow connections hurting performance.

Outstanding Known Issues:

• Buying plinths that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
  • Chat text overlaps with HUD Text in the centre of the screen.
  • Chat UI overlaps with Game Log UI.
  • Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
  • Gem grappling hooks retract automatically when hanging.
  • Grappling hooks will occasionally be left on the ground.
  • Grappling hooks will occasionally go through blocks.
  • Occasional crash may occur when using grappling hook.
  • Shift-clicking an item from the selling plinth will show odd numbers and will not always go in the shopping basket.
  • Shift-clicking and dragging on the coin icons from within the trading menus may cause a crash.
  • Some Extractor machines lack animation.
  • Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon’s plots placed throughout the process.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.
12 Likes

all of this is great!

portals are still too expensive though in my opinion~

1 Like

500 coins to be teleported across the universe?! That’s chump change! :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, its expensive given the current way of getting coins in the game. Perhaps once the other methods are for acquiring coin maybe ti wont seem so expensive.

However, it’s currently unusably expensive :slight_smile:

Some sort of quick fix is necessary like a daily dose of coins, something like what the devs currently hand themselves out i’m sure :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the cost of the warp. We will be balancing the cost so your feedback is very helpful.

1 Like

I just started playing 3 days ago and I think 500 is just fine. every level I am going up I get 500 coins and once I hit level 19 miner I started getting 1000 coins. I like how you have to work for what you want in the world. I have used a portal a few times now and I think it was a fare price

3 Likes

Yo, play longer for 3 days maybe? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 days experience to discuss issues arising from a finite source of coins (not that they are hard to acquire) doesn’t quite seem enough.

The level cap is only 50, after that you just get to watch xp (and coins) going to waste.

1 Like

Each level the bonus coin stays. Untill 50 when you can no longer level up.

Oh wait, so the coins do increase, it’s not just a bonus?

Edited my post

You’re pretty fresh around here yourself, just saying -_-

2 Likes

Yeah I know, I’ve only got 300 hours played but that’s a hell of a lot more than 3 days

The bonus plots are only on the 9s but I think the coin bonus stays at each tier.

I like the idea of keeping the warp prices expensive or time consuming. The game should promote traveling on foot. Because it give more opportunity to meet players, get lost and discover new places.

What’s preventing me for using any kind of warp is the finite amount of coin, but economy is another subject.

I love walking through space :wink:

Why so angry at me? What am I not aloud to post on a topic cause I don’t have 300 hours like your self? I just put what I thought at this time. If I didn’t say it my self and told you I played for 3 days you wouldn’t have anything to say to me.

Oh by the way nice to meet you

1 Like

Sorry man, was in the middle of doing my tax return, didn’t mean to come off so blunt :yum:

This issue has just been ongoing on the forums for weeks is all, honestly it took me a week or two to realise how much the game would benefit from an economy fix, even though it is in its early stages.

Welcome to boundless, I’ll make a better impression next time. Maybe :wink:

2 Likes

Take it easy, gents. And keep in mind that economy is by no means a fleshed out feature. Changes will be made to nearly every aspect. It’s been a hot topic of discussion for a few years now. Trust me, it won’t be simply passed over.

3 Likes

Everyone’s over here comparing hours ingame.

I’ve been here checking for updates, for the last 2 years without a single hour ingame XD.
#Trailblazers” hahaha

Seraph :shard:

5 Likes