Thoughts on 'The Centraforge Experience'

Warning this is a long, rambling post!

Ahhh, the centraforge.

I know some people around here probably think I tried to forge a bag of bombs and completely lost my ■■■■. That’s not exactly what’s been happening but it is after many discussions, a defining part of 'The Centraforge Experience".

My first approach to centraforging was before i ever came to the forum. I was playing for maybe 10 - 12 weeks by then and decided it was time to check this thing out. It went something like this:

Yep imagine trying to centraforge with only the in game instructions for it.

If you’re asking yourself what instructions I’m talking about - don’t bother lol. So, like many have, I just put it away and went shopping for tools. I played boundless even more heavily than I do now when it was all brand new and exciting so 10 - 12 weeks in for me (around late december) was quite a few hours. I was doing well in the game economy and didn’t really have any need or desire to struggle with that.

The next time I approached forging was after sitting through a couple of these:

Watching that was 583 rounds of “I don’t know what the hell is happening here”. This is what spurred me to actually start trying to decipher some tutorials and at least learning how the forge worked.

So I found out how to get onto the test server. I finally read a couple of forging threads. Found the forging trait thread. Watched a couple of videos. After @Jiivita 's video i forged a couple of items. Then because it was topical i sat through @Crete 's maxx forging video. Following that I forged a couple of lucent items just to get comfortable with the steps.

I skimmed over a couple of other forging threads, I think @Vansten 's thread was up by then. I had learned enough to understand it, and get through a step by step tutorial if I needed to.

I have the impression that this is where most people stop. Learned enough to get through it and forge some usable mid to high level gear for themselves just so they can get on with the game without stressing the economy or hours of hunting for affordable tools. However the whole thing still seemed like a giant pain and the effort to reward ratio wasn’t there for me.

This was around early april and I never even set up a forge on a live server. Until about ten days ago.

The devs have started disabling test servers between releases or I would have gone back to do it there. In a very real sense I’m glad I didn’t because having endless stacks of every ingredient available is actually not the easiest way to get beyond following a step by step guide. It’s TOO MUCH choice if you don’t have a clear goal, or at least a specific target in mind, and some idea of how the ingredients are expected to work together.

Practicing on the live server helped me to keep an eye on a goal of “practical” forging and get a grip on the economics, as well. Those grapples in the pic I posted above were the topic of several discussions after @debstep posted the ingredient breakdown @peregrine gave us a cost estimate of 28,873c for materials.

For a 583 round forge of madness, with quirks and transmutes and all of that. It was quite a job.

Knowing (now) that most forging is done in under 50 rounds - that was incredibly less expensive than I had expected. The perfected grapples I use now (Thanks @MassiveMorgan !) cost me considerably more, and were very cheap by current market standards. Also while I’m talking about Morgan he was very quick, he made one of the two to order with my choice of ‘standard’ grapple boons and delivered it in almost exactly two hours. Solid.

I have no idea how he does it but in the current market, it was worth every coin. And this is part of what has led me back to the forge. I’ve also approached @MrNiX for a couple of custom forged lucent items. He’s delivered each time. We’ve discussed the items and to some extent the forging but basically, it was still “all greek” to me.

I’m now past 3500 hours in game and do sort of feel like I should at least be able to hold up my end of a conversation on the basics of forging, and the pros and cons of the choices that can be made along the way.

Instead it’s more like posting in the suggestions forum. I just sort of have to throw out what I hope for and some Wizard of The Forge will let me know how close that is to reality. Totally my fault really, most of the forgers I have worked with have been great. But if I don’t understand what I’m asking for, I also have no way to gauge the actual impact of the decisions, no way to even ballpark what’s markup vs. what’s cost, and no way to evaluate “the market” or guesstimate if any of it is worth trying to do myself.

So I figured it was finally time to explore the forge. And things went … ok. For a minute lol. I forged a couple of random items and then some lucent bombs. Due to another conversation I wanted to test a spanner with a 10/10 wear removed boon and I forged that in a single session with the same basic deck. I forged a basic loot stick and some iron hammers. I was getting confident, and thinking “Well this isn’t too bad”.

I don’t like to play a game of spreadsheets and careful calculation, it’s not fun for me. It’s not that I can’t, it’s just not what I’m here for. I want to go whack stuff. I knew from the beginning that solid information was scarce so I was just trying to get it sorted without worrying too much about the in game detail of the forge or the ingredients. I’ve been making my own ingredients so coin isn’t a problem but limited quantities have kept me from trying anything really fancy.

So in a few days I got to the point where, when I needed some regen bombs, I thought “hey it’s a simple forge I’ll just make them”. Aaaaaand that’s when this happened:

Every person I know who regularly forges has had to step away at some point due to forging frustrations. I was expecting it at some point. But not on the simplest thing I had actually ever tried to forge! It totally blew my mind.

Forging a bag of lucent healing bombs actually cost me less in materials AND TIME than trying to forge my own copper regen bombs. Which, in the end, didn’t even get regen forged onto them :crazy_face:

Now I’m not trying to blame the developers, or anyone else for that. It’s a symptom of the sudden frustration with what should be a simple task gone horribly wrong and my inexperience that it happened. And in the end it’s one of those “hard lessons” that carry a great deal of value.

I can assure you that I will never again fail to deconstruct on a bad first boon! Decon 3 has a permanent place in every deck from now on unless I decide beforehand that I’m ready to throw all of my ingredients and the item into the wind for a useless result. And I know that I will be approaching the forge with a more appropriate level of readiness from now on.

But to be honest, I’m still not sure that I will be forging much at all. I’ve worked with several forgers and know a couple more that are willing. Even in a contracting economy there is RoI+ to be had at the current market prices for most forged tools and weapons. And while I was willing to skim over a lot of speedbumps to get to the “meat” of forging, there are honestly a LOT of those speedbumps.

Bugs that are hard to identify because the expected operation isn’t described. Things that may or may not be clear to a learning forger because some of the indicators can vary per boon. Traps flat out built into the system… I mean, you want to max your boons that’s the goal right? Here you go, have some random AoE!

I’m still not aware of any place in game where ‘5 months ago me’ could have learned how to actually line things up and trigger a roll for a boon. Or what boon to expect from which gum, etc… As someone else basically said (I can’t remember who/where I’m sorry) “Yeah you have to have that information beforehand”.

OK but this is a fairly complex system of inputs and outputs, even without the RNG element. You have to go through some trouble to find out what questions you even need to ask. And when you ask them, you may get a misleading answer, or an accidentally correct answer with a bad explanation. And that’s through no ill intent it’s just that one person may infer something different from another person given the same set of circumstances and only trial and error to learn from. And they could still both be wrong.

Then after getting through all of that it ends up being like so much in Boundless where the same deck that gets you a forge like this:

f_fist_1

Repeatably (plus or minus some love from RNGesus):

f_fist_2

Can also get you this:

f_bomb_1

Also repeatably (again plus or minus that RNG luck)

f_bomb_2

Now I’m not trying to hold those up as examples of good forging. The deck is blocked because I don’t want it to become the topic of the thread. This is a thread about the experience. If people want I can make a technique thread but it’s going to take a little more than that to get maxed.
My point is that the only difference between those decks is that there was a gum change between the fists and the bombs.

IMO this is basically the same as people saying “There’s no real difference in cost between forging a copper hammer or a diamond hammer”. It’s really true. And this is the reward for working your way through the system. Along with the constant reminder that sometimes, in spite of everything you put into it, things can go horribly, unrepairably wrong.

Like Boon Removal Solvent gutting your existing boon, leaving it on, and then throwing another random boon on top of it!

I know i don’t have any gums there but anyone who has forged a bit can tell you it doesn’t matter. You can spend half of your vigor loading effect gums, and still roll for glow. And in this situation there’s no recovery because the odds of using boon removal solvent to empty two boon slots are ASTRONOMICAL.

Decon 3 to the rescue?

Maybe. Maybe not. Burn some incense and pray to RNGesus a little bit first. It might help.

So, that’s my incredibly long and rambling take on the past and current state of trying to work with the centraforge. Each of the suggestion threads I have posted addresses a real QoL issue, they’re not excuses to rant. This system is a mess. It’s a high bar to jump in the first place, and no matter how many times you’ve cleared the bar, you can still find the ground falling out from under you just as you take the leap.

So all right, please feel free to share your own thoughts or reactions, I won’t be working to keep this thread on track it’s surely as much of a ramble as anything. I’m going to leave you with another joker pic.

:tada:

6 Likes

didn’t manage to read it all, yet

but a like for the picture used: “Aziz! Light!!”

2 Likes

the forge really des need a massive rework its really poor gameplay design when you need to get all the info of a thing you use ingame out of game via endless threads and videos a player shod be able to pick up the game and get to top tier forge level without haveing to spend hours reading and watching videos those shod be shortcuts not required material

3 Likes

I like the fact we need to experiment ourselves to see what each thing does when we forge tools/items.

It should not be too easy and all explained in detail. Playing the game and finding out things ourselves is a nice thing, not a negative thing.
When we played Boundless BETA a few years ago, hardly anything was documented but we managed. It was a lot of fun finding out things and now most of the things are documented anyway.
Please let the forge be RNG and not give us the outcome we want when we add ingredients in a specific order.

3 Likes

the higher tier stuff is fine but the forge is like beeing put in a room with a box and being told “open it and for eveytime you fail too you lose pay us $”(the $ would be mats) some basic here how it works would be nice not a blind here is a thing just use it

1 Like

What low tier stuff is hard to forge? I can make good Damage 8-9, dura/range 4-5 slingbows all day long and I consider THOSE mid tier. Low tier is single gum and taking whatever random boons you get as you pump with pure boon and even then the final product will ALWAYS be better than an unforged item!

2 Likes

A lot of ‘how to forge’ is documented and can also be found on Youtube.

I just want to make sure it stays RNG and not give us the outcome we WANT when adding ingredients in a specific order.
Materials are easy to get and you get a lot of materials back anyway when deconstructing. So try again if you don’t like the outcome. Simple as that.

You don’t need to fully understand every step in details behind forging in order to forge something good. There are many different ways to forge good tools/items.

2 Likes

yea but like i sayed before

pick any game and just image if they removed all the tutorials for it a well designed game tells you what you need to know in order to enjoy it thats why in FPS games they on the safe side treat the player like they have never played before and go over the basics of how to run or shoot a gun…sure some people may say “ok i will just go on X games forum and read how to shoot my gun” others will just be like “#@! i cant shoot my gun $#@ this game” and never play agian and thats really bad for a MMO that needs positive word of mouth

im not necessarily saying in my rework idea that they need to remove the RNG just that its built in a way that the how to vids and docs act has a shortcut and not the watch them or dont bother useing the machine like it is right now

going to go a bit personal with my self but without the test server to be able to experiment with all the forge mats to see how it works i literally would be incapable of useing the forge if the docs and vids did not exist i dont have the mental learning power to just work out how each mat of the forge works and how to get the best outcome without a infinite supply or spending 8-10HR’s a day farming the mats needed

1 Like

So be happy we have the documented things + videos. That should be enough to start forging and then gradually learn more yourself by experimenting with forging ingredients.
Worked for me !

1 Like

i am but at the same time going back to my poor design that is a lot of fath/hope the devs are putting on the players plus cuz they are hosted on 3ed party sites by players there is no guarantee they will be around tomorrow. youtube could go under and boom all of Jiivita 's how to vids are gone or someone who makes a bunch of docs on how it works could have a falling out with the game and just delete them. there needs to be a system in place so that in the bubble of the game the forge works and can be mastered without the need for outside help.

SOOOO system is fine just needs to be better explained ingame then?

1 Like

Ingame you get the tips on how to start forging. Also the tutorial shows how to make ingredients to start forging. From that point onwards you can start forging and see what happens when you add forging ingredients.

We will not be without Youtube or documentation any time soon, so don’t worry about that. You are really describing the worst doomed scenario here.

Don’t get me wrong here, but as a baby/small kid you did start to walk at some point. No documentation there.
Trial and error is a good thing to learn new things. Go crazy with forging and find out new things !

1 Like

yea maybe when you place the forge for the first time you get a new “quest” that has you get the mats shows you how to do a basic forge even someting like that would do wonders for it.

i get that its just more the way the system is setup right now down the road if the game is around for the long run there is the potential for a lot of work the devs will need to do. one of the first things i was taught when codeing was its ok at the vary start to relay on outside API’s or modules but you will want to shift to your own ASAP cuz you never know what could happen and next thing you know the API you where calling is closed or the module you used is out of date and now you have a huge amount of panic work to do

That is currently in the game as you complete the objectives. It walks you through making the mats and doing a simple forge.

I fail to see what more you want as documentation in the game in order to start forging.

I never needed the test server and could figure it out myself. Just experiment, it is not that hard really.

maybe i need to delete my char then cuz i never got that :confused:

it is actually a series of objectives that walks you through the whole forge process.

Edit. oh silver!

The bigger the advesertiy or greater the risk the larger the reward is on the other side when you over come it or succed.

Instead of pandering to you and making it easy I actually prefer the challenge and want to rise to the occasion. That’s what makes it valuable, rare, satisfying.

I’m sure there are things that could be improved upon the system but in all honesty this just sound like a big whine, and i get it. It’s super frustrating for you, it totally is. You didn’t get what you wanted, when you wanted it or how you wanted it.

Maybe it’s not for you? Just as you like to whack blocks, some people love the numbers, love the stratergy and love the risk vs reward. Plus they have actually given you a solution, you just don’t like it. Go whack blocks like you said. Sell them. Buy Regen bombs garenteed every time, let others deal with the forging… Problem solved.

Also im not attacking you, just calling it like I see it.
It’s a great conversation around something important to you, thanks for that and thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

My forger:

I have 6 “developed” alts from level 37 to level 11X. Most of them do not have this objective available, despite having pushed one or more crafting trees through some level 4 and/or 5 feats.

There are a lot of decision trees in Boundless. With the combination of in-game and out of game knowledge available someone who hasn’t enjoyed general/random crafting but wants to approach the forge is actually unlikely to have access to this.

With regards to this series of objectives, once you have triggered it, it does lead to a step by step tutorial of a basic forge. My level 104 crafter has it.

It appears (according this thread) that lightness is a single trait gum for tools.

Now I have honestly never attempted to forge busy bee onto a wood hammer, or any other trait for that matter. But unless there is a special case for this tutorial item hidden in the forge balancing it’s definitely possible to acquire these items in these numbers, follow these steps precisely, and be unable to actually complete the objective.

In my opinion that’s pretty harsh. Though that would be a fair introduction to the realities of forging.

In any case this isn’t something that just appears for every player. It’s not there for a newish player who hasn’t already completed some unspecified crafting activities before hand. And it has a moderate chance of becoming more than a little frustrating trying to follow what looks like a simple series of steps.

Hey, fair enough. It’s not for everybody. I just didn’t do it for a long time. I followed the exact advice you’re giving here.

I’ve made a bit of noise about forging this week. It may be hard for you to see but this reaction, appearing in some form or other in pretty much every thread where someone expresses a difficulty or tries to clarify a problem. If you like a slot machine or get a big rush from a lucky roll of the dice, that’s fine.

I did ask for people not to come in to a prior thread SPECIFICALLY regarding the frustrations associated with this and turn it into yet another situation where people who express their frustrations, or even attempt to post what they feel are legitimate concerns get shut down (and put down) by a series of reactions like this.

If people are discouraged from expressing their thoughts, the devs get no feedback. And you’re clearly aware that the language and tone you have chosen to roll with here are likely to be offensive. I accept your disclaimer but many people don’t want to deal with this sort of approach. Understandably.

When I encountered the problem with Boon Removal Solvent 2 several people told me things like “no it’s supposed to roll another boon”, “you’re just having bad luck” or similar comments. If someone hadn’t already reported this bug (several times) or i wasn’t coming to the forum for this information, anybody would be left to assume that they were just failing in some way to understand the system.

When the system is unclear, or worse, intentionally confusing, it’s hard to know at any point where “RNG luck” ends and “not working correctly” begins.

With regards to level indicators, several people told me, both in game and in the forum, that the single level boons don’t have a level indicator because “there is only one level”. Now again, despite someone basically telling me personally to “man up” a bit - it was quickly shown that this bit of “wisdom” was in fact not true at all.

I have encountered others, with no need to list them all here - that’s enough to demonstrate the point.

So I’m willing to take a bit of this, and in a general topic like this accept that it’s ‘not personal’. I’m doing it for multiple reasons. Not the least of which is that I’ve found parts of this to be incredibly frustrating and specific feedback on what parts of the system are frustrating users has value. Getting some catharsis on the side is just a perk.

Thanks for the follow up and an opportunity to clarify the goal here a bit. I feel this is important to many people and encouraging others to share their thoughts and opinions on the matter can only help the game.

I’ve already created a thread just expressing my frustration with the learning curve and the process and encouraging others to do the same. And I’ve acted to keep that thread on topic. However there needs to be a basis for ongoing discussion. A boatload of people showing up, calling beginners, or even frustrated long term player, whiners (or whatever) and attempting to shut down any actual conversation is not good for anyone.

I haven’t met anyone that has gone on to ragequit the game over issues with mining, or hunting. It happens over the forge. I think maybe that those who jump on top of this sort of challenge and enjoy it may be unaware of how many players just DON’T. EVER. FORGE. And that is because those players are actively discouraged from speaking out.

In this case there is a legitimate matter of opinion. However it’s opinion that retains or drives off players and IMO the process of discussion has more value than the opinion of either ‘side’. We’re all trying to enjoy the game together here.

1 Like

Sad to see how hopeless forging seems for you. It is not trouble-free nor is it very straightforward with guaranteed results always. Personally, though, i find the fact that we have an element of the game that not everyone masters very interesting. It creates a market for its products. Actually, id like us to have more elements like this in the game… Magic maybe? Sharing my own experience might help? Maybe.

The only excel i run is for my shop so we are together on this. No excel for forging. I jumped into the forging game very late relatively. Just like you, i went through many cycles of frustration but going to the test servers helped… A lot. I kind of developed my own logic and i accordingly set my expectations. Based on that, i worked around using my gear. I dont have rank 480 gear in hand all day but in no way is it bad gear… Next statement might seem silly but it worked… Keeping deconstructiom resin saved me from wasting my gear. I dont mind losing some gums or pastes but not the gear… Maybe do that too? RNG is a monster but if you deconstruct enough, it will go away haha.

I dont mind meeting you in game and showing you my method of forging my daily gear. It is simple, straightforward-ish, and cost-efficient. Worked well so far with me and i forge everything with it from bombs to slings to mining hammers. Easily gets you mid tier gear without quirks or defects which is all we need imho. Over forging is a pain i cant live with :joy:.

1 Like