Top relatively-easy to implement QoL changes

but there is double-tap function; works pretty well in my opinion

I wouldn’t mind toggle on/off for sprint anyway, I agree it could be good (both sprint and creep).

1 Like

Thanks for posting these, taking some notes for future use!

6 Likes

No double tap on PS4

I’ll update the OP later

1 Like

Say you are the manager of a mall, and you do not want people to re-fuel another person’s beacon because it might be better to let it regen. Simply tell the people, put a sign, something like that.
It’s not like visitors carry beacon fuel on them at all times, so it would be more likely to be someone from the settlement who would refuel the place, or someone actively looking to do that.
Again, in my eyes, I’d say the positive effects out-weights the potential risks by a wide margin.

Again, I can’t stress this enough, I never said anything about “forever”, you’re just going immediately with the unlikely scenario that there’s someone who would always refuel the same dead beacon over and over without a good reason, without talking with the neighbors of the beacon or anything.

But ok. Then it would need some limit to how many times you can do it or something. It’s not like I’m against putting rules on that. :man_shrugging:

Another idea then :
How about an option, ON by default, where you’d get a mail on the e-mail adress associated to your Steam/PSN account, to warn you that your beacon is about to die in 24 hours?

And here’s another other idea :
In World of Warcraft, if you’re a guild-leader, and you’re absent from the game for 2 months or more, there is an option for an officer to grab the rank of guild-leader from you in order to keep it alive.
How about something similar where if you’re absent for too long (6 months?), someone in your friend-list who has enough free plots can take ownership of your beacons.
It would be a friend, so you would be more likely to be able to get ownership back when/if you come back.
Maybe only Steam/PSN friends could have that option.

@DKPuncherello Do you think this one is worthy to be added to your OP :arrow_down: ?

Also, as much as I’d like this to exist, it seems like it could be abused far too easily. You’re outside on a hunt or mining extravaganza, need to switch talent but you’re under cooldown? Pop-up a campfire, there you go!

1 Like

How is that abuse, really?

For me it’s often things like:
Building floors so I want minimum control
Switch to max control miner to build walls
Back to min control for ceilings
Switch to farmer toon to plant some decorative crops
Switch to crafter to make some doors
Switch to utility character to open a portal
Switch back to builder for min control

Etc
Huge pain for no reason

Yeah but if you just have to place a campfire to switch skill page, then why even have the whole cooldown thing. A campfire is like the first thing you learn to craft, doesn’t require a table or anything.

And then, why even have skill pages if it becomes trivial to switch between them all the time?
If pages become a worthless concept, why even have a limit of 100 skill points?

Let me be clear, I get you, it’s annoying. But maybe the true solution would be a full-redesign of the skill system. That’s something I already tried to tackle, by the way : [CRAZY IDEA] Skill & Combat Overhaul

World of Warcraft does the same thing with talents that you can only change in rested areas. They used to be a real meaningful choice, now it’s not really far from just switching between two weapons in your bag, and the devs feel the need to layer more progression/choice systems on top of the talents. ^^

1 Like

As I understand it, a skill tree rework is actually on the cards… but the intention is that it will be a once only thing (as much as possible) and it will be part of a much bigger update.

2 Likes

I definitely agree on a redesign of the skill set. Let us do what we want if we earn the skill points. If you want to still put some limits around combat so it can still require groups to fill all the roles, fine. But let us get all the skills in one skill set.

Edit: as far as some other warning like email on beacons expiring. Sure, if players want to enter an email address in a beacon maybe it can generate an email to warn when it gets close to expiring. As far as someone being able to take over someone else’s beacon, I vote no. The system has no way to know if everything that was placed belongs to the original player and should they not be able to get their items when they return? That is what the reclaim does and letting someone else do it, even someone else in a guild removes their right to their beacon and what it contains.

1 Like

In anycase, these suggestions I made would not be needed in any way IF the devs actually add a Blueprint feature.

Although, one thing I kinda wish they’d do in the meantime would be to make a copy of every craftable block with a slightly different normal map, with cracks, and when the reclaim feature is activated, it turns the crafted blocks into these worn-out blocks instead of ash blocks.

Still kinda want to see ruins of builds. ^^

I will not disagree if the developers let players create a blueprint then it solves some more of the problem. My suggestion as I said earlier would be to make the blueprinting on demand and stored locally.

You don’t think it should happen automatically with the auto-reclaim? Maybe kept in a cloud storage for a month or something?

There’s some good ideas in this thread but I’m not sure how many of them are actually QoL changes. Some of these are major overhauls and would take quite a lot of development work.

I think we would both agree there is a lot more data in a blueprint than in a list of blocks like reclaim does now. Do I have a problem with the develops storing it for some limited time? No, but I would want feedback from them on the cost before the timeframe was set. I do think it would be good to allow on demand in any case and local storage. If you have a 13000 plot build and value it, then take the time to blueprint it. Do not depend on the developers to save it for you over the long term.

Good point.

Actually, I already wrote something about it :

I should re-write that, by the way.
EDIT : done! CRAZY IDEA : Blueprint system REDUX

There are many ideas here posted in giant paragraphs mixed in with extensive discussion. Does anyone want to turn them into bullets for me so that I can update the OP?

1 Like

You should see how much footfall the TNT megahub generates :wink:

2 Likes

I would like it if group/guild/DMs/etc (Any chat, really) not have to be “polled for” and everything is instantaneously transmitted. This “polling” mechanic the devs put into chat is what causes the delay.

• Add the expiration date of a beacon (day, month, year) in the mouse-over tooltip when looking at said-beacon.

• Rework the ‘plot removal’ effect on the sides of the plot you’re targeting so that it doesn’t flash white anymore, and instead flashes a something like a big diagonal red cross.

(last time I had to remove a lot of plots inside a big beacon, I legit hurt my eyes with the white flashes, had to lie down afterward)

• split beacon in 2 beacons, drop 2nd beacon, use some plotter like item to show where the dividing line is and boom
4 Likes