Weekly Dev Update: 2016 December 16th: Testing 29, Release 129, Worms and a little more!

Testing 29 release
This week we’ve released the latest version of Boundless into a Steam Beta called “Testing”. The release is accessible to all players and reporting issues you discover is super helpful.

Testing 29 contains as many features from the PSX Demo that we feel are stable enough to be included in the game. It also represents the build we used to create the latest Boundless trailer. There are many large and small changes that will be listed in the release notes when the build is promoted to Live.

Live 129 release - pending
Our plan for the coming week is:

1. Promote Testing to Live on Tuesday 20th December.
  2. Take the Testing worlds offline.

The team is already winding down for a break between Christmas and New Year. Hopefully we will have enough devs left to get the release out the door. There are no updates planned until the 2017.

PlayStation re-announcement
We also made a couple of posts reintroducing Boundless to the NA and EU PlayStation blogs. Please take a look at them and let us know how well you think we introduced Boundless in less than 500 words.

Did we miss something important?
How would you introduce Boundless to someone new?

Code
Introduced a new flow for players starting the game, re-entering the game and respawning after dying via the Sanctum. Whilst this may seem outside the Boundless world it gives the player:

1. Control over when and where they respawn into the world after dying. You can pick your moment before jumping through the warp.
  2. If you don’t want to return into the world in the same location you have another Warp ready to take you home or any other saved location.
  3. You can even bump the Warp to a safer location if you died in an extremely tricky place, for example in lava. (Press ‘E’ to access the bump option.)
  4. If you start the game and your previous world is offline or full you have control over selected an alternative entry point.
  5. More features will be coming to the Sanctum in the future.

We’ve been working down a list of bugs attempting to get more quality into the game client and servers.

We’ve also spent time attempting to track down a loading failure hitting a few players (including me - @james!!) We’re gradually getting there, but the issue seems to be triggered when the client is making too many connections and some of them fail. When this happens the client doesn’t get sufficient chunk data from the world, and the client refuses to start whilst some of it is outstanding. If you get stuck in the Sanctum with the Warp never completing the loading process then you’re also hitting the same issue. (Previously you’d simply be stuck on a grey loading screen - but now you’re stuck in the Sanctum - a tiny step forward.) If so, please send us your log files and details about your networking hardward + OS.

We’re attempting to squeeze a few last minute SFX into the game so that the Creatures and mêlée attacks with the tools are no longer silent. The SFX have all been made - we’ve just not spent enough time to hook them up to the events in the game. We’ll make a big push for the next next update to include all the outstanding SFX.

Design
This week has been about getting all the work we’ve done for the trailer in a state so that we can release it.

Ollie has been balancing damage and health for the new creatures, and setting up on which worlds they should spawn. Also expanding the healing, with the addition of fruit, and the healing brew with new recipes. It’s now worthwhile stocking up with supplies before venturing to further flung worlds which have the more powerful creatures. He’s also integrated the gem level of weapons and tools.

Luke has been looking after the release process in Yota’s absence, as well continuing to improve the tutorial and initial objectives.

Rob has been working with Mark on more update and polish on the HUD, as well as firming up the final design and polish for the inventory system.

Art
This week the art team have been busy preparing the Steam release.

We’re also hunting for a talented 3D artist to join the team making creatures, characters and props to populate the Boundless universe!

We’ve also been working on the follow areas for future releases:

Elemental versions of the Wildstock

Final spanner models

Tier 2 Roadrunner tinted and ready in game

Concepting of the worms continues. Here’s a sketch of the large worm progression:

:black_large_square: :black_circle: :black_medium_small_square: Monday is the new last Friday.

33 Likes

Are there going to be new worlds?
I made a bunch of warp location pickers so I sure hope so. :wink:
Time off for the holidays what!? … kidding.
Hope you devs have a happy holiday!

1 Like

i knew about this already before the post :smiley:

and warp pickers dayum bro you rich?!

1 Like

Rich? Not quite but I have ben doing a bit of horging :wink:

1 Like

pack cat xP

1 Like

Ha ha! :joy: That would have been a great name for me.

1 Like

LOL i was sat there thinking man he is such a pack rat then i realised the race is a cat XDD

2 Likes

looking at the wildstock, it almost has a french braid. it would be nice to see the various wildstock with different ‘hair styles’ that could drop different types of fur resource for crafting different types of cloth rope etc

1 Like

@james @luke-turbulenz Are you going to push this to Live if there are still some major bugs that need to be worked out? I understand if not, but then you have holiday stuff coming up, so maybe not until the new year will we see the new update?

1 Like

We’re still working on it… and will update when we know the plan. Live will def not get updated until tomorrow (Wed) at the earliest as we don’t push updates late in the evening.

1 Like

@james I am sorry, I do not mean to be pushy about information. Just wanted to know what you guys are running into so people can have some expectations on when things will be resolved.

I work for a WISP that is currently having issues with one of its towers that is dependent on solar and wind power, and snow is causing some major issues with the tower staying online. Customers call in and want an update and they get blank statements that do not satisfy their curiosity on the issue and thus they are further dissatisfied with the communication which leads to further disappointment overall. When I personally have to deal with customers, giving them the right information, even if it is an issue on your end, as well as giving them a relatively safe deadline abides their disappointment and they look forward to when things are working again.

That kind of principle communication is key to keeping people happy despite setbacks. You and the rest of the team are amazing at giving feedback to the community and you guys do an amazing job. Hope everything works out soon so you guys can take a break! :smiley:

3 Likes

Great too hear at least. I was wandering what was up. :smiley: Oh well,do we know anything about guilds yet? I’m real eager too start constructing A guild city!

1 Like

No problem what so ever. I’m very happy to be told that we need to keep the information flowing!! Would rather have eager + passionate players than the opposite.

So please feel free to ping me requests. Often we’re simply heads down and don’t always appreciate how things appear from the outside.

We’ve spent the entire days attempting to squash the most critical issues. And they’re often extremely difficult to reproduce.

Thanks again!!

2 Likes

Nice news! The next update will be quite exciting as well!

@olliepurkiss shouldn’t put too much effort into I guess. The real balancing will show up when players contineously fight vs creatures and tell you about their frustration (too strong) or boredom (no challenge because to easy).

I anyway wonder how you are balancing here at the moment.

• You would need the different damage outputs of diverse weapons i.e. different materials of slingshot (and all those combinations with different arrow material… ).
  • different level in progression tree will have effect on the strength and effectiveness of your hits.
  • How do you handle the creature tiers? i hope we will not be able to kill a tier 5 livestock with a copper slingshot (maybe not even damage it)
  • How will elemental version effect the “toughness” of different tiers (not just respecting elemental advantages and disadvantages

I think the variety of combinations is quite huge, sounds like a difficult and time consuming task for one person… Maybe @olliepurkiss could create a post for what he is doing? Input of the communtiy might help balancing or help giving constructive ideas.

2 Likes

the creatures are too strong. for a newbie getting hit for 1 to 2k dmg is too excessive especially when crafting weapons that wont get you killed using them (slingbow) takes quite the investment for someone trying to establish a base.

melee weapons need greater range
enemies need to do less dmg per shot
enemies need to be less able to locate me, if you hang out too long in an area youll find yourself surrounded by baddies

the crafting reqs on beacons too should be reduced imo

If you’re starting fresh I like to dig ino a hillside or find a cave as you’re first home. This alows you to craft in peace instead of in the open where you end up crafting in peaces.

The balance on the live version for the home worlds is more forgiving. Hopefully that will fix these issues for new players.

6 Likes

Yo guys am new to this Devlog but I jut wanted to say am SUPER HYPE FOR THIS GAME!!!

7 Likes

Welcome to the community my friend!!

We hope you have a good time here :slight_smile:

1 Like