Welcome New Boundless Lords, Please hear me out about storage. .

Hello New Boundless Lords,

Welcome to our creative universe. We’re happy to have you.

I’m sure you’re going to receive a ton of requests and suggestions as you start your endeavor. I too am full of ideas but I have just one request of you related to storage and sorting.

Please, for the love of all that is Oortian, provide us with more storage options like a “take all” and “empty container” function. An “autosort” button might also be helpful.

There are, I believe, 256 colors of rock, gleam, wood, foliage etc which can be crafted into 256 different colors of every item including doors, glass panes, decorations etc. If there was a way we could implement a “search” function in our storage chests I’d be eternally grateful.

I took a two year break from this game after putting in more than 7000 hours (to date, I have 7123.5 hours to be exact). Upon my return this week I had almost 3 million blocks and items to reclaim from my beacon. I’m sure you can imagine how difficult the task is of removing and sorting them.

I know that I’ll have sorted most of what’s in my beacon by the time you could implement anything new to the game, but having a “search” feature in the storage chests would greatly impact many Oortians for as long as this game survives.

I hope you’ll at least consider this.
Thanks so much,
Bunky 8604

23 Likes

I do agree something like this would be nice, but I would like to add one thing:
When you hover over a smart stack of items, please show with text which items that smart stack contains and what color. I hate having to check every smart because I shift clicked in all my items and my 100 black marble is now somewhere hidden in one of my 30 other marble smart stacks…

6 Likes

My hands are practically numb from shift clicking and right clicking over the last two days. Being able to hover over the smart stack and see exactly what’s in it would be freaking fantastic!

Great suggestion!

6 Likes

I also would love to have a small window pop up when you mouse over a chest to see exactly what’s inside.

The hunt and peck method is tedious and annoying. Even if the containers are pretty

3 Likes

Another idea (which might be a long shot) would be machines crafting from player inventory and nearby storages. Now seeing how big builds are, “nearby” might be too limiting. Maybe, from all storages within beacon. Should further cut travel and digging time in storages. I saw a form of this implemented in other games and it made life way easier.

Maybe also an extremely and impractically-expensive storage option that can just take tons and tons of materials for people who don’t want to have to make rows of storage in a small build for example. We have metal storages, maybe gems then lucents tiers too :star_struck:

4 Likes

Yes we need a system with transfer all of similar items in container and transfer all and the reverse for box to inventory.

7 days to die has recently added this function and it is such a good QoL.

Bluetooth storage for crafting would be soooooon satisfying!

3 Likes

I can’t disagree… and trust me QoL for all the clicking… my Dr would appreciate it. I am an addict to this game and after typing all day… I need less ctrl alt and shift and all the keys and the mouseclicking… so any updates to help alleviate those things sounds amazeballs. :heartpulse:

^c^

2 Likes

+1 for a “Take Alll” or “Transfer All” button

for the “Smarter-Smart Stacks” sorting, it would be great, but I remember James talking about how the “dumb” smart stacks are the only way to do it right now. As sorting by color into smart-smart stacks, then sorting by type (Igneous/sedementary) would be a monumental coding undertaking.

I’m all for smarter smart-stacks, but i think it just came down to too much coding work for very little payoff

2 Likes

I agree with you there @Crete which is why I’m recommending a “search” feature. If we could just search a chest for, lets say warm violet, and then just take the matching results needed, life as an Oortian would be so much easier.

1 Like

There is another thread which went on very well regarding this. I mean, there are a few, but at least one where some people took james’ suggestions and we got down to the nitty gritty of why this is harder than it seems, including the fact that he asks how it should work and a bunch of people are like “duh, like this …” and then describe different things.

This is a technical issue, as well. The reason the closed storages can hold so much is because we don’t have to load the items in them, to go near them.

They changed the way the closed storage works because accidentally breaking a large chest of blocks is enough to lag people out so bad the game crashes. If they’re in the chest they don’t have to render, but still you would be reading every chest that you came within a small radius of - for this feature to perform quickly, the lag would be phenomenal in a large storage area.

They could make it so that when you look at it for a moment, it starts to load - say like a portal. It can’t be TOO fast or you would never be able to run around a storage room. Say, maybe a 1 - 2 second hover. Then it reads the chest, then it creates the preview window.

This isn’t going to be a lot faster than just clicking the chest open, tbh.

Same thing I think this could be millions of blocks/items. The load time for the “able to craft” filter could be insane.

EDIT: OK I did some digging on this since I got called out for posting comments like “yeah we already talked about this” recently. Sadly as usual, it’s hard to find the relevant info around here.

“Smarter Stacks” sounded familiar but it was a sort of a release buzzword, and most of the info there seems to regard interactions with shop equipment, mixing and sorting of salable items.

If the conversation I’m recalling is buried inthose discussions, hmm good luck finding that I guess.

Some good advice on working with the updates shortly after release, here:

Also here’s Luca having a go:

Lots of good ideas there, and some other links as well on the topic.

Mostly all good ideas, and trying any of them would be nice. At least regarding the sorting stuff.

Move all and CRAFT ALL buttons are no-brainers, right? Guys??

Has anybody prodded @monty1 on the topic of incremental improvement vs. monolithic updates, yet?

EDIT 2: And you can apparently store up to 18,432,000 items in a single plot with large chests :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thank you for explaining all of this so it’s easy to follow.

Rendering had not occurred to me. “Hey it’s simple! Right?” <— :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest the simplest solution then would be one render.

I can not recall the game (maybe someone will recognize the function)

Every item you picked up was put into a personal storage. Like an infinite bag. You could craft from this … trade … etc.

All you did was go into your ‘inventory’ and scroll through the tabs to find what you wanted. Sorted by categories. Armor/Weapons/Food etc.

This would leave in game containers as decoration more than storage units.
And if I’m not mistaken, the item you were crafting was shown is a slightly larger icon so you could see what you would get.

All of this would cause enormous amounts of work to reconstruct the entire games storage/inventory. Which we do not really want to do, do we?

DO WE? gentle smile

And forgive me for typing and posting before I think things through in my enthusiasm to be part of a conversation.

I blame reads off her entire friends list

You all made me do it. I swear!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this info Nightstar!!

1 Like

just gonna drop this here… :smiley: would love, love to see more QoL inventory additions like these.

2 Likes

Hey I mean as long as you’re not being a jerk, that’s how we find things out. I do go on about the forum a bit because so much is lost here, it’s very hard to find specific information. Nobody can really be expected to spend hours searching and browsing a forum before they make a post - just to find out if someone posted their idea before.

I like this. I don’t mind inventory limits,. but Boundless is very tight. It could basically be handled like the reclaim now and it would be great. But I do like the idea of a tab view, as well. Once you get a couple million items into reclaim it can take a minute to find what you want.

I do try to be helpful :smile:

2 Likes