What if there was a city where you could get a pre-made house?

What’s this about pre-made houses? EXPLAIN. NOW!

Alright, you’ve seen the title, so I should explain a bit, now.

Imagine that there’s a city where… uh…
Ok, no, let’s drop the pretenses.

You might have heard me talk about my build, the Raxxian Sanctuary, in the past.
It’s still expanding, worth 1900 plots, and I have to admit, the lighting changes from the Farming Update make the screenshots way better. Here, you can see an old screenshot from the end of May, and below, it’s the current look :

Huge difference in quality of picture, I’d say. I may throw some cabbages at the devs from time to time, but they did a decent job, there. By the way, if you wanna check the place out, click on my avatar, I left all the info in my forum description. :wink:

Anyway.

Stop with the self-promo! What’s this all about?

I’m considering to make a town near the Raxxian Sanctuary, which would share the same building style, but where each house would have a separated beacon which could be given to people.

Why, though?

Fair question.
So, I’ve said it before, what sold the game to me was a build from @Nyuudles which was featured in a trailer from the game. back when I started playing the game. What looked great about it was that many people/citizen were seemingly playing together and trading while walking around the build.
My illusions were quickly shattered when I started playing and discovered this build had been wiped (hey-ho! - sorry, I’ll stop) and that the actual cities were more like patchworks of mis-matched styles, barely held together.
Yeah. I’ve said it. Most cities tend to look like a mess to me. :man_shrugging:

Ok so what’s your plan?

So, I’d like to see if it’s possible to create a city where, instead of telling people “here, I make the streets, you fill-in the blanks”, I’d tell the people “here, I give you this beacon, it has a house, here’s the keys”.

The current idea would be that each house comes in various sizes, with random features like stairs to go up, maybe a lil’ guard-tower, a balcony, a garden, a Boundless logo in gleam… but they all have a basement where the beacon is located in, and they’re all connected to streets and to a sewer network.

What’s the catch?

The new owner would have to decide where to put the machines (which would be provided, along with storage), if he/she puts power coils somewhere…
If this project is done after the Furniture update, I’ll also provide furniture.
The inside belongs to that player, but there would be a rule to not mess-up the house’s design without talking with me first. Like, not changing the stones/gleam colors, not putting pink grass, etc.
The main goal would be to have a town with a unified style.
From there, if a player want to turn his house into a store, add stone signs, put shop stands in his lawn, plant crops, I mean, that wouldn’t be a problem.

And what if you give a beacon to a troll?

The other option, safer for me : I don’t give beacons to anybody, and instead , I give Worker & Engineer permissions to the player. It would be like renting, in a way.

I’d be the one who fuels all the beacons with my Gleam Club. so that’s technically a plus for the other player.
Worker & Engineer means the player can move around and use any interactive block/object, but without the Builder permission, he wouldn’t be able to change the building-blocks like walls and floors.
If he wants to, he has to ask me to do it.
If I trust the player enough, I give him the Builder permission, though.

Plus, I could also have a workshop build where all the renting-players have Worker permissions, to use machines with power-coils. They’d be able to use the machines, but they wouldn’t be able to take them with them.

And why did you make this thread, then?

Because I wanted to make a poll out of it.

• Nah, I’d rather make my own store/house, k thanks, bye.
  • Eh. It wouldn’t have my main house there, but why not?
  • OH HECK YEAH, I’m moving all my stuff there ASAP!
  • As a starter option for new players, that could be neat.
  • Can’t I buy the Raxxian Sanctuary, instead? No? Awh…
  • Something else… (comment below!)
  • Ftaghn! :space_invader:

0 voters

17 Likes

:space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:

I am planning something similar with my current project on Dzassak. I’m glad others want more themed builds, rather than patchworks of styles.

:space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:

1 Like

I like the idea, it’s interesting, and I’d like to do something similar myself, but ultimately one of my main issues is that you can’t have multiple beacons vertically over one another.

Though normally I’d have an issue with trusting people, it can sort of be solved under the current permissions, but I still wish there was more granular control over permissions; so if you did go ahead with this, I hope you’d be able to make it work, as it is a nice idea anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, trust is indeed the main issue, in both ways. People might not trust me, and I’d also be afraid of giving a house to someone who would spray-paint the walls in pink paint and put refined pink gleam everywhere.

2 Likes

But I’m pretty in pink! :angel:

1 Like

Wouldn’t you just give them full permissions there? That way if everything turns to stink, you could “evict” them and repair any damage caused?

I mean, it’s a nice idea, but I assume you’re talking about after the next wipe, right? Surely you wouldn’t start something like this just a few months before a wipe?

3 Likes

It’s a cool idea, I hope you find some likeminded players to join you.

And I just have to say… your build in that screenshot looks amazing!

5 Likes

Aww and here I thought the wipe would be next week 3:
Now I have to put my plan to claim half a planet with my current plots and the reservation system on hold :3

Seriously though: is it appealing to players to get premade houses at this point?
The main attraction of the game is to build atm at least.

• Your build looks awesome <3

You’re right, it’s the other option, safer for me. I don’t give beacons to anybody, and instead, I give Worker & Engineer permissions to the player. It would be like renting, in a way.
I’d be the one who fuels all the beacons with my Gleam Club, so that’s technically a plus for the other player.
Worker & Engineer means the player can move around and use any interactive block/object, but without the Builder permission, he wouldn’t be able to change the building-blocks like walls and floors.
If he wants to, he has to ask me to do it.

Plus, I could also have a workshop build where all the renting-players have Worker permissions, to use machines with power-coils. They’d be able to use the machines, but they wouldn’t be able to take them with them.

Uh.
Y’know, I think I’m going to edit the original post with this.

Thanks!
I don’t think I’ve seen you there, yet. Come around when you’re back from your vacations. :wink:

This is a question I was hoping to get an answer myself, with this thread.

Thanks. :wink:

4 Likes

I agree indeed a very nice build @Goblinounours :+1: :boundless:

2 Likes

Thank you for taking my comment in exactly the manner it was intended.

Wow, that is a beautiful build.

4 Likes

Woah, coming from a dev, that’s a huge boost of motivation. Thanks Jess! :smiley:

3 Likes

You build looks amazing.

I could see players that don’t like building or want to be around other players settling in your planned community.

1 Like

So you’d basically be the homeowner’s association?

3 Likes

They’re not planning to wipe anything, don’t spread fear lol!

3 Likes

I like the idea of it.
makes it like a real capital of the planet … same style, neighbours , few main portals.
The portal hubs do connect you to all planets and markets but one can get easely overwhelmed or lost … I like the idea to explore a city that has a main portal to a hub or network … would have helped me a lot in the beginning … contact between players is what is missing I think and this is a nice way of clearing that gap.
Very nice build , sooooo gonna visit that soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looksnice i have to say.
If you Need a builder to help drop a note.
Best before i wipe! :boom:

2 Likes

Can you provide the coordinates ? :slight_smile:

Sure, you can click on my avatar in the top-left corner of every message I write.
It’s all there. :wink:

1 Like