What would you like to do with your local universe?

If I were to have a local universe, I probably wouldn’t play it but just administrate a modded server or something.
I won’t know my interest level in modding until I can see what we can actually do with it and how user-friendly it is, though.

1 Like

I will play local universe for mods. They’ll start slow, no doubt, but I believe they will eventually spur the spread of the game. We will probably start with random stuff, like being able to place NPCs who do nothing more than wave, altered block properties like corruption dealing damage, altered textures and sound design so we can have Star Wars style blasters etc…

I intend to support whatever mods are shared initially and maybe try to push the game on other modders who haven’t heard of it. Eventually I’m expecting to see NPCs building forts we can raid and many more activities we can enjoy with friends.

Overall I doubt I’ll spend any less time in the live universe. Local will be more of an outlet.

How badly do you want to learn Lua?

1 Like

yes, it does. without the queue of course.

Rip im ps4

1 Like

Well, Lua won’t be a barrier for me, but access to source code and/or the level of documentation for APIs/hooks will be the thing that brings me in or not (day job brain fatigue aside).

PS4 cant host servers sadly (according to the devs) but if I set one up ill make sure PS4 get certain things here and there

An interesting consideration will be if PS users will be able to play on modded servers, or if mods will require a modded client.

1 Like

I’ll be setting mine so that the new XP/cubit gains make sense and I’ll also be tweaking beacon fuel times, so that I can actually build at the scale I want without the artificial restriction and the fear of the world or my beacons expiring.

I’m also looking forward to playing on multi-tiered planets and being able to find all gem types on a single world.

I’ll still have my main MMO chracter to go exploring and see other players builds with, but I don’t tend to venture off my own world much anyway, so it’s not going to be all that much different for me to be completely honest.

If anything, it’s just going to give me the freedom to play much more casually, without any of the ongoing costs of Gleam Club and world rental.

4 Likes

I’d probably get bored to bits.

1 Like

I’d probably use that feature for my son to play 'cause I don’t really allow him to play online yet. (don’t get me wrong, he’s still super young)
He played Boundless twice so far - supervised. ^^
I still got a spare Steam key for Boundless so as soon as the update is there I might set up my old PC for him so he can play offline.

1 Like

those types of mods are server side.
https://docs.playboundless.com/modding/server-scripting.html
there are also some config files you can change the settings for like cubit costs for some things but all of that stuff is on the server.

they are changing the login menu to have the ability to select the mmo or otherwise.

2 Likes

Thank you for that doc, I hadn’t noticed it before.

That scripting system looks like it can do a lot of cool stuff, but a lot of things, like PVP flags on beacons, any UI changes, adding new blocks or mobs, modifying forging, or a chat overhaul, don’t seem to be practical with that, and would require something more. Likely file modifications on both client and server.

That’s not to say we can’t do quite a bit with this - I think can see reasonable paths to modding in NPCs, automation, adding damage blocks, maybe even adding in global PVP and/or PVP zones. This is powerful, but not unlimited.

1 Like

Added new weapon: Bow and Arrow. Bows can be crafted with Timber and Sticks. Arrows can be crafted with Sticks and Stones. Bows now replace the slingshot and can be fired much long distances. Bows can also be charged up to fire further by holding down the fire button. They can hurt other players in PvP areas and will also hurt the local wildlife.

From: Release: 106 - Bow & Arrow and Ambient Creature Update
Seems like the weapons and flags are…were already there… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Can you mod trampoline blocks to make you bounce higher?

1 Like

Maybe.
That would have to be tested under server load and latency to see if it’s practical or just annoying.

Probably. You can make kindling grow in sunlight too.

Aenea published some fun videos, mostly tagged as “joke” by now I think.

You can change the properties of things, make things disappear and appear, etc…

I’m not sure if that was in the ‘new’ game engine or the original. It would be interesting if it’s something you can just turn on though.

Unless the server can push server specific files and upgrade to a client then @Rydralain is right a lot of the things people want (Anything with custom textures at least) will require files on the client side. That part is easily handled with some sort of “pack” but I guess you would have a lot of conflicts trying to move between private universes.

I’m guessing you can spawn a character model but I’m not sure how hard it would be to add some decent interaction. To do anything besides what players currently do (i.e. for an NPC to work like a shop stand) I have no idea, my lua knowledge is thin to nonexistent and I haven’t explored the APIs.

3 Likes

Sounds to me like we can already make improved dungeons for physical and psychological challenges before even touching LUA.

Corruption dealing low damage over time adds pressure to keep it moving. Giving the trampoline significantly more bounce would make for some serious action. Invisible solid block paths with some ‘trust your instincts’ type riddle that hints at where to go. Increase the speed of sliding down ice or slide.

Also if it’s possible to make a block ungrappleable that would be great to throw onto a certain black block that you’d make the dungeon/cavern walls with for more of an abyssal feel and can’t be used to cheat.

I’m basically thinking we can make our own levels to Jedi Fallen Order in this, pre-LUA.

I’m not sure what you mean, it’s all in Lua. The server side interface for custom scripting and modifying the properties of things in the world, I mean.

Well, I’m sure people will share. A Lua script to make a block un-grappleable for instance. You probably won’t have to write the code to use it.

Are there also server-side item configs then? I’ll have to look at that once we get the standalone server.

Well, like I said I never got into this, what I mostly did was spend a lot of time talking about it with someone else who was enjoying it. Sadly, she’s not really around to discuss it right now.

As far as I know the current live version of the game might have the original standalone world server running on it, relevant to all the old docs and examples scattered around on the forum here. I forgot the name they gave it after they released creative worlds but it was, for a while, referred to as the creative mode or something similar.

I’m not sure if they disabled it with the sovereign version or not tbh. Sorry.

They did publish quite a bit of information about it though and one of the developers (@samf maybe?) shared a few scripts and stuff, as well as what users were doing with it.

Looks like it was “Prototype Creative Mode”. There are other pics and things people experimented with in some of those threads, as well.

Sorry I thought this one was linked, but there’s some different stuff linked above:

1 Like