Active player issue

I’m the 2nd kind of person you mentioned lol. I prefer to play solo in every game I play. So my first few places in BL were out in the boonies. I found myself spending too much time running across planets to go to hubs, to find shops, to trade, etc so I uprooted and moved into/near town. I also like helping people when I can.

3 Likes

With over 3000 hours in Warframe im not getting overly bored with that one ;)… Fallout 76 maybe it reminds me alot of Unturned… but i quite enjoyed that game too but that was because i used to host a few servers and was one of the main modders for the game

2 Likes

It does also provide a new possible profession

Hunting the out of fuel beacon plots :stuck_out_tongue:
Not managed to find one yet but I always explore in the hopes of finding a lucrative treasure trove of hoarding.

1 Like

Kind of interesting this is probably the 50th thread I’ve seen that mentions marketing the game and what the plan is and there has never once been a developer to chime in and comment on that… maybe there justbis no plan. The hope is word of mouth…

They’ve chimed in several times. Growing the game slowly over time is their goal, rather than having 1 big explosion and that’s it.

Here an example:

4 Likes

Thanks @Simoyd - something I’d add to my earlier points is that this time of year is incredibly full of other releases - Fallout, Assassin’s Creed, CoD, FIFA, RDR, Pokemon… Farming Sim 19… so we of course want people to play Boundless more, and more people to play, and we’re actively working on plans to encourage people to do that.

We’re currently in the middle of the Steam Autumn sale, with a small discount on the game, and we’re monitoring resulting sales. The nature of the game is such that launch was always going to be a player spike, followed by gradual decline, until the player base stabilises; and we’re probably at that last point now, so it’s about growing that baseline, bringing folks back with updates (Guilds, Farming, etc) and appealing to new players through ongoing marketing, word of mouth, promotions, etc.

The nature of the game is also that over time, the game simply gets better; more features, more additions.

8 Likes

It doesn’t help the Steam Forums are a ghost town. New players go in, see a dead game, and walk away.

1 Like

I haven’t played in 2 weeks, waiting for new content and I think a lot of players are in the same boat.

Not planets or body paint or even new mobs, I’m waiting for new functional content for the builds like farm-able mobs, water blocks, pistons. The kind of stuff that gives a bit of purpose to my next big build. :smiley:

2 Likes

maybe a demo version off game could help
like with a plot limit off 10 and no gemtools :grinning:

2 Likes

The game couldn’t have handled 50,000 players at launch. It wasn’t built for big numbers. AAA games can’t even handle the login surge with a midnight release. I’m mostly playing Fallout 76 with my son because he got tired of Boundless fairly quickly - he’s 6 and once we hit the gem wall he said yeaaahnooo I’m out and bailed. So it was back to Minecraft for him until new games dropped.

Some days I want to play Boundlese but then I’m like hmm I only have 2 hours, not even worth logging in. I want to make some gem hammers, but I don’t have the stuff I need… I have everything I need to go get the stuff I need but keep putting it off same as when chores need done at home. Even with the new planets, I was excited but not excited enough to jump back into playing every day. I think once coin gets fixed I’ll probably get back into Boundless because that’s one of the main things that separates us from Minecraft… and I never was really all that into Minecraft.

1 Like

Slow growth is fine but how long can the company sustain running this game with a diminishing population of players and purchases. I don’t think they will be able to slow grow the game with the rate of players. At some point they need to bring people Into the game slow or not and right now the only way people learn about the game is word of mouth via reviews which last I checked were also declining.

Ok, als jij het zegt dan zal het wel zo zijn denk! Vind het altijd zo apart dat mensen het normaal vinden dat anderen maar voor hun moeite gaan doen om hun berichtjes te gaan vertalen al dan niet met behulp van een andere website. Hoe lui kan je zijn?

1 Like

Goeie vraag :joy:

2 Likes

Seems like no one can support themselves with the current footfall system and the lack of coins from any thing else makes it hard to keep request baskets open for little shops.
Solution would be to either fix foot fall or add coins from meteor kills at least that way people can play the game and not have to grind for hours just to keep a couple portals open.

1 Like

There are always more ways to skin a cat… we could easily fix the perceived footfall shortage

Also, why would you want coins from meteors?! They already give you oort, coin is literally an extra step in what should just be meteorite = oort = portal…

1 Like

I could say I want coin from killing any mob but then everyone would have a ton of coins so isolate it a bit and just say from killing mobs dropped by meteors limits what gives coins and and a added bonus you can get oort for your portals.

1 Like

Taking from what I have read here, talked with my son about and seeing in some other games I go with the quest system where when you log in and are in the sanctum you can go to a box/crate and click to open up for a quest. Five can be given for different levels, From new players to advanced experienced players. Example: new player (level 1) is give quest to go to level one planet an collect so much of a certain item. Say the yams. Collect 25 yams and 10 leaves and return to sanctum. Or so many copper ores; or tallow from what animals you kill. You are given coins for them. Level 2 could go to level two planet and get so many wildstock eyes and tallow; or some copper and rocks. Level 3 is get something that is more challenging, requires you to get out and have to fight some of the critters. And it goes on for the different planets. Items to be collected can do a rotation of common ores, leaves, rock, sand, peat, soil, ash that is common to get. Even sand or ash from a level 4 planet can have some danger as you are mining it on the surface.

Each player can pick what quest they want, if they want to try the more dangerous ones they can. Either way, a player can chose to do a quest or not, they can chose what level they want. They return to the sanctum when finished and put the items in to the container, same as you do a request basket and collect the coins. It helps the new players get coins to buy what they can’t get at the start, a challenge, something to do, gets them out exploring and seeing the planets.

It is a win-win situation, more coins for players, players get a break from grinding to have some fun doing quests and a sense of accomplishment and this encourages them to give positive reviews of the game.

1 Like

isn’t boundless one big long Quest? It just lacks bigger challenges for the fast adventurers(read: the ones who have taken a flying start at launch) amongst us

I’m going to be setting up something like this, reward scaling for planet level and above market price, but mainly for blocks though…

Unfortunately its going to be a limited offer quest, I’m going to be buying exactly 100 each of several specific items & colours over the next 2 weeks at between 5 to 10 times market value.

The diversity will hopefully mean that lower level players get incentivised to run these requests - a lvl 23 solo alt could do with 10k coin for 200 silt, clay and peat from specific lvl 3 worlds, whereas the big fish who are reselling each others specials hopefully wont see the reward/time effort as being worth it.

1 Like

Welp, I’m actually super excited about LED-ing my disco ball! :smiley: 8)

I’m really excited about a creature taming epic (travel by cuddletrunk?? lol) sometime in the future too. With enough creature pets maybe can create a legion of them that become a Titan assigned to the player’s beacon, then players can agree to a battle of Titans against each other to claim beacons…idk - just an idea of a way to tie in two dev goals, plus some PvP for advanced level ones so they can compete, but without it being a type of PvP that would destroy low-level players visiting their regions.

To help high-level players to be able to help lower-level players, maybe adding a way for established players to contract out time to their machine rooms in their shops too, as trades for coin and whatnot. Maybe make the contracts so that customers only have access to craft on one machine at a time for only what they’ve specified in the contract and only what they’re able to craft and have all the resources for in their inventory (so they don’t accidentally get into contacts that are worthless), and it drains their energy instead of the coils (to protect the owners from damage), and only customers have access to take their own crafted items out, so long as it’s within an agreed upon timeframe/price/trade in the contract after the items are done crafting. Both get XP for the contract and maybe each time a high-level player contracts out their machines to low-level players (level 30 and under perhaps) they automatically earn Oort stones from the game…my thinking is it might encourage high-level players keeping portals open and catering more to noobs for accessing these shops/worlds at reasonable prices, encouraging more interaction between high and low level players and helping noobs to get past the stuck point of not having the coils needed to make fun gleam stuff and whatnot. Maybe something like this can go along with the guilding updates…I still don’t quite totally understand all of the guild stuff coming out, but so far it sounds really cool.

For people who want clothes in the game, maybe add earnable epics for specific feats but also based on your character’s selected skill points, such as a customizable/upgradable hunter/gatherer armor you earn for characters with those specialties that adds a random beneficial weapons/axe/shovel with a random beneficial augment when you beat enough meteorites or gather enough orbs on many worlds or something. Maybe the earned one can be named so it’s more special. For crafters a similar custom range of upgradable outfits that increase effectiveness with crafting on a machine when they specialize so many hours on and add enough coils to one, and a namable spanner with a random beneficial augment. For miners who’ve grinded out through so many worlds and various resources maybe they earn customizable fall armor and upgrades include a miner light they can equip on their heads, and earn a namable hammer that gets the beneficial augment as well.

1 Like