Announcing our Winter Event - Merry Oortmas, coming December 18th!

It’s that special time of year again - the nights are drawing in, the decorations are up and the boxes on your gift shopping spreadsheet are slowly turning green (Oh just us? OK never mind…). Naturally, after seeing the citizens of the Known Worlds embrace the human customs of Hallowe’en so happily, we’ve been preparing a little winter magic for Boundless.

On the 18th of December at Midday UTC, Boundless will be getting into the festive spirit. This time, the event will last until the 1st January, giving you two weeks to enjoy all the bounties of the holiday season.

Weather forecasts across the known worlds are predicting heavy snow, and citizens are advised to have their screenshot tools at the ready to make the most of some of the beautiful scenes which are sure to arise. To go along with this, certain creatures around the universe will be seen sporting little santa hats - players will want to be on the lookout for these.

The special creatures will drop a new item once defeated - the green candy cane. These are used to craft some brand new props to decorate your builds. Wrapped presents and decorated Oortmas trees (built block by block) will be seen throughout the lands. Snow Citizens can also be built by using an alternative drop, the red candy cane, more on which later. All of these are of course tintable, and we can’t wait to see the creative ways you all deck the halls once the items become available.

Naturally, we’ll be introducing some special wearables for a limited time only, so you’ll have to grab them from the Exchange while they’re available. Father Oortmas beards, antlers which echo Rudolph the Red Nosed Wildstock and the Snow Citizen mask will give you the chance to get your character fully into the spirit of the season.

Last, but certainly not least, we have a special event which will occur for these two weeks only. We all love building and crafting, but this time around we wanted to give you something combat-oriented to play with. So, for the duration of the winter event, special snowball fight meteorite events will be occurring. These will happen on the Spawn worlds, and rather than a regular strike, a meteorologically-unlikely but festively pleasing giant snowball will crash to the surface of the planet. This will then spawn special white snow spitters, which will launch their chilly projectiles at players, and are impervious to regular weaponry.

How best to fight back? Well, you’ll have to fight snow with snow! Gather enough ice from the impact zone to hand-craft a bag of snowballs, and give the icy critters everything you’ve got! These will do direct damage to one target, and are the only thing which will damage a snow spitter. These will be on lower-level worlds, and will be a totally flat playing field, allowing players of all levels to play together. There will also be no death penalty on these events, with players instead building up ‘embarrassment’ from being hit, before heading to the sanctum without their ‘life’ for the event. The rewards for this event include red candy canes, as well as festive food, brews and gifts. Poorly behaved citizens may end up with coal…

We’re hugely excited to share this event with you all, and we especially can’t wait to see how big some of the snowball events can get - so keep the 18th in your diary, and we’ll see you all there!

We’ll add some more detail on how to craft these items to the release notes when they’re released. With all that, it just remains for me to say a heartfelt Merry Oortmas everyone!

57 Likes

I can’t wait for this event to start :grin::sunglasses:

The special creatures will drop a new item once defeated - the green candy cane. These are used to craft some brand new props to decorate your builds. Wrapped presents and decorated Oortmas trees (built block by block) will be seen throughout the lands. Snow Citizens can also be built by using an alternative drop, the red candy cane, more on which later. All of these are of course tintable, and we can’t wait to see the creative ways you all deck the halls once the items become available.

OMG :grin::grin::grin::grin: super excited :smiley::smiley::grin::grinning::smiley::grin::smiley::grinning::smiley:

2 Likes

The Snowball fights are great fun! Can’t wait for everyone to get a chance to join in the action :snowflake::snowman:

8 Likes

Oh man that sounds amazing! Cant wait to try the new snowball event out and decorate everything!

Yay Giftmas! I mean Oortmas!!! I love the snow.

This sounds fun!

This is going to be great! Man, I’m not going to get anything done in December!

gimme that beard!

6 Likes

we trowing our using oversized christmas cannon :grin: it be epic anyway many thanks love the little snowman secretly hope someone makes a real one and post a pic off it :nerd_face:

I love this! :heart_eyes:

Beards!!! Love youu.

2 Likes

very nice <3

I can’t wait!

Nice! I will make sure to get that beard so I can feel like Zeus in my temple that is not yet build.

This is hilarious! I’m quite excited for this!

Very nice

Weird question but is the beard tintable? :joy::thinking:

2 Likes

Is this beard consider a mask? Or can we use a beard and a mask at the same time?

2 Likes

Festive food, brew and gift? Hopefully they are OP food :smiley:

1 Like